Author Topic: Is the MGM National Harbor bad for DC concert goers?  (Read 14381 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Is the MGM National Harbor bad for DC concert goers?
« on: October 19, 2016, 10:46:01 am »
Here we go: another concert venue opens in the area and this one has deep pockets, which is great for bands. But is this bad for concert goers? As has been discussed here, the more venues in competition for acts, the more they have to pay to attract bands and the higher ticket prices will be.

Who is going to be hurt most by MGM opening up? Verizon Center? How bad will this affect IMP since acts that IMP books at Lincoln, MPP, DAR will also be candidates for playing at MGM?

Of course what pisses me off the most is the pitiful mass transit options for National Harbor. I know WMATA started a bus route from King St to the Gaylord, but I'm not sure if this bus route is going to run up by MGM, which is more than a hike away from the hotel. Plus, concerts often run as late as 11pm, making it a rush to get to the bus to get to the Yellow Line.

What do you guys think?

moeszyslak

Re: Is the MGM National Harbor bad for DC concert goers?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:54:33 am »
I can tell you that I have been priced out of concerts at this venue.  I saw the Cher announcement and it would be great if there were some residency acts, but I still don't think that I can afford them. 

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:01:48 am »
Here we go: another concert venue opens in the area and this one has deep pockets, which is great for bands. But is this bad for concert goers? As has been discussed here, the more venues in competition for acts, the more they have to pay to attract bands and the higher ticket prices will be.

. . .

What do you guys think?
I think if you keep this up, Seth will probably give you VIP tickets to an event for being a good shill.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 11:05:29 am »
I haven't look  hard, but where can I find details on this new venue?

Other than the Cher residency, I don't expect there to be many shows at this venue that I'll want to attend.

Space Freely

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 11:10:04 am »
Is Frank Turner playing at this venue too?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 11:20:27 am »
I think if you keep this up, Seth will probably give you VIP tickets to an event for being a good shill.

Mark me down as a Seth shill. He brings acts to DC that I want to see and he brings them to convenient (except for MPP) locations at competitive prices.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:30:10 am »
competitive prices.
When did we change the definition of competitive to "higher on average than virtually every other similarly-sized media market"?

EDIT: This is much more pronounced for 9:30 shows than MPP shows.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 11:30:57 am »
I find that hard to believe. Show me the data.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 11:34:13 am »
As Bagley would say: "No worries." If MGM takes Cher, P!ATD, and the like, we will all be okay.

MGM is 3,000 capacity. Seth's "Wharf" venue is coming (5,000 capacity?), and between that, Echo, 930, DAR, and Lincoln, you (and Seth) will be fine.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/The-Theater-at-MGM-National-Harbor-tickets-Oxon-Hill/venue/172613

Space Freely

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 11:35:29 am »
I agree with Julian but of course ticket prices are higher in DC than say, Pittsburgh or St Louis. Everything costs more here. We also make more money here.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 11:38:37 am »
I find that hard to believe. Show me the data.
I don't have "data" in the sense that I do not chart concert prices throughout the years and statistically model them in case someone asks me because (a) its not my job, and (b) I do not have a degree is statistically modeling.

I will say this, purely anecdotally: I live in Richmond and probably 50% of the shows I want to see do not hit my city. I have to travel to see shows ~15 times a year and I have to factor in what day of the week they fall on and also prices. So, I probably look at what a certain tour costs throughout the Mid-Atlantic more than the average boardie. And invariably, if a tour is hitting 9:30 Club and also any one or more of Philly, VA Beach/Norfolk, Charlottesville, Raleigh, or Charlotte, the 9:30 Club show will be the either the most expensive tour date or tied for the most expensive tour date. This is a phenomenon that in pre-dates the opening of FSS. This is also a phenomenon that does not exist for shows at any other DC venue (including MPP).

That is not to say 9:30 Club isn't a great venue or that I don't go there. I do whenever the only feasible (or in many cases the only) Mid-Atlantic tour stop hits there. But its never "competitively priced."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:46:20 am by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 11:45:59 am »
I think it would be more fair to compare DC with Philly, Boston and Atlanta than Richmond, Charlotte or Virginia Beach.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 11:48:56 am »
I think it would be more fair to compare DC with Philly, Boston and Atlanta than Richmond, Charlotte or Virginia Beach.
Probably. (I do look at Philly, as I said.) Again, I was not a statistics major, I just play one on the internet.

Do you think a band charges more to play a 1200 person venue in DC than a 1200 person venue in Norfolk? To what would you attribute the fact that I virtually never see a price difference between Black Cat and a similarly sized Richmond or Charlottesville venue? If its purely cost of living-driven, shouldn't I see this with all DC venues?
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 11:50:47 am »
Probably. (I do look at Philly, as I said.) Again, I was not a statistics major, I just play one on the internet.

Do you think a band charges more to play a 1200 person venue in DC than a 1200 person venue in Norfolk? To what would you attribute the fact that I virtually never see a price difference between Black Cat and a similarly sized Richmond or Charlottesville venue? If its purely cost of living-driven, shouldn't I see this with all DC venues?

Expenses are more in DC than Richmond/Norfolk/etc., Sherlock.

edit: Bands that are playing the Black Cat aren't going to command a price difference of $15 to $20 a ticket IMO where bands that are playing the 930 club most likely will/would.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:52:33 am by Yada »

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 11:52:48 am »
Expenses are more in DC than Richmond/Norfolk/etc., Sherlock.
Then I ask you again: to what would you attribute the fact that I virtually never see a price difference between Black Cat and a similarly sized Richmond or Charlottesville venue?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:54:34 am by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH