Author Topic: Is that a hydrometer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me  (Read 48068 times)

Re: Is that a hydrometer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2021, 10:22:10 pm »
depending how DYI you wanna get, you may want to consider building a keezer instead
had given some serious thought to this Keezer.  It really couldn't be simpler, even I could build it!

but as luck should have it,  I may soon be the owner of a kegerator for about the price of one TreeHouse six pack
It's only got one tap up top, but I saw how you can turn it into a three-tap one with a little adaptor
I think it can fit 3 corny kegs. comes with tank, regulator and tubes.

Since there is no bread thread and beer is just liquid bread.
I just wanted to let you know that the starter yeast colony is thriving after a rough few days in the USPS
but...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:24:37 pm by Panic-Button-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2021, 07:14:21 pm »
It's only got one tap up top, but I saw how you can turn it into a three-tap one with a little adaptor

of you can rip out the one-tap tower and replace it with a 3-tap tower. 

another mod you should consider is putting a small fan, like a computer fan, to occasionally circulate cold air into the tower.  because the tower is metal and it sticking out into the room, it'll warm up - and the tubing inside the tower can end up closer in temp to the room than the fridge below it.  warm tubing = foaming.  the idea is to build a box with a computer fan forcing air in, and the only output is a little bit of tubing.  you shove the end of the tubing up into the tower, and have the fan (AKA the intake) lower down in the main part of the fridge.  so when the fan is running, it pulls in cool air from below and spits it up in the tower.  fan can either run all the time, or put it on a cheap timer that turns it on and off every X minutes.  a few pointers:
https://www.kegerators.com/articles/computer-cooling-fan/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxQSBmxThxY
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/how-to-add-a-circulating-pc-fan-to-my-kegerator.239528/
<sig>

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2021, 07:33:19 pm »
Excellent advice, just pulled said 1 tap tower kegerator out of the car

I think I may keep it as a single for the short term
I still need to get a keg and connections...can't decide to go ball or pin?

But looking forward to getting into kegging, I've really had it with bottling...
If I can get back two hours ever brew, that will encourage me to brew more
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2021, 01:41:22 am »
I think I may keep it as a single for the short term

multi-tap is only useful if you have multiple beers to tap :D

I still need to get a keg and connections...can't decide to go ball or pin?

pins are a little cheaper and easier to find, ball comes with pressure release valves which are a nice convenience... but either is fine.

check out this page for deals, eventually something good will pop up: https://www.homebrewfinds.com/homebrew-keg-deals-roundup

If I can get back two hours ever brew, that will encourage me to brew more

this.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2021, 03:59:03 am »
Though I'm about the homebrew a maibock, which I'm hoping will be at least half as good.

ha!  i'm currently fermenting my first two lagers.  i was going for something in the vein of a german pilsner or helles, but it took an american turn: gravity was higher than those styles allow, and i added a bunch of hops at the end of the boil.  so if i had to attribute a style to these beers, it would be "american maibock" (not that that style actually exists).  once its done i'll be dumping doppelbock on top of the yeast cakes.

what yeast are you going to use?
<sig>

« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2021, 08:55:42 pm »
this really isn't a good idea, but there is a market
A Homebrewing Videogame Is Coming to Xbox,

in related news, enjoying my first kegged beer through my reconditioned kegerator
a pretty tasty low tide session IPA.  First keg and I am hooked.  Don't think I'll ever bottle again

and in other related news
I just wanted to let you know that the starter yeast colony is thriving after a rough few days in the USPS
been baking loafs almost weekly, also have made bagels and german style pretzels (which the dog ate half of!)...
Seems to be pretty easy to keep the starter in the fridge and just take a scoop out the day before to make an aggressive, bubbly starter
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:02:27 pm by SidebySide ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2021, 10:56:24 am »
Picked up some hop rhizomes this year and going to try it out

Any advice for growing hops, not sure I'm going to get a tractor, but I'm prepared for 12 feet of growth
slack

hutch

« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2021, 03:07:46 pm »
I have yet to have one of your home brews?

Is this just a figment of your imagination?

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2021, 04:01:03 pm »

Well,  I drink them all myself

Can confirm, pretty sure you have never had one

keggging is a game changing
Before bringing a six pack required you to have separate glassware and instructions for pouring
as you cannot drink from the bottle

Now I can just fill up a growler or a six of bottles on the way out and you don’t need a glass or instructions

I typically don’t make light beers so most people are not interested
and before this year and my new equipment... the beers at best were mediocre
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:05:26 pm by toasty fresh hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2021, 05:27:07 pm »
lol.  tractor definitely not needed ;D

i had 7 plants going in MD, and have given a talk on how to grow hops, so i should be able to give you a few pointers.  in fact if you PM me your email, i could probably dig up the PPT of my how-to-grow-hops presentation.

a few random thoughts:
- hops need full sun and southern exposure.  they can't get too much direct sun, and they love the hot noon sun.
- hops don't really start producing until their 3rd year.  you'll get some cones in year 1 and 2, but don't despair about low production until you're on year 3 or 4.
- hops send up many, many bines (stalks) but you don't want to keep them all.  in the first year you can let 6 to8 of them go up, but after that you only want to grow 4 bines. 
- what will your bines be growing up?  do you have a trellis, or will you be dropping ropes from upon high?  12 feet is a decent height.
- be aware that hops can spread like weeds and can be hard to kill off.  so when you plant your rhizomes be sure it's in a spot that you're OK being taken over by hops.  they will eventually start popping up several feet away from where you initially planted them.

what varieties did you get?
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2021, 07:12:49 pm »
I would think with homebrew part of the fun would be sharing....

One year I was visiting my sister in TX and for thanksgiving we went to a friend of hers place and her friend was a big home brewer and the stuff was fantastic

He seemed to really enjoy sharing his beer... 

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2021, 09:17:10 pm »
Hutch, you are true.  I love sharing my homebrew.
 But since I've changed my style of brewing, I think I've seen you at maybe one party where that would have worked.
I"ve shared a few in the past, but usually, just a bomber that I split in a few glasses.

But as I said, I'll be more likely to bring beer because of the volume and ease now...
We just need to get back to having parties and I'll put a keg of whatever you like, on ice and tap it on your back porch.
slack

« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2021, 09:27:03 pm »
a talk
is there video evidence?

- hops need full sun and southern exposure.  they can't get too much direct sun, and they love the hot noon sun.
Check
- hops don't really start producing until their 3rd year. 
So my plan is to grow them in 2-gallon containers and there is a place where my airstream is that has tons of sun and land to grow on that I will take them to next season
- what will your bines be growing up? 
Going up to a solid wood kids play structure that is about 12 feet high
Chinook (used in Stout, Porter and IPAs) and Willamette (Pale Ales, Amber Ales. Porters, Irish Red Ale.)
Didn't really have too many options, plus it's more for the aroma and not the bittering

there is a part of me that is just fine growing them for fun
Didn't realize it would be three seasons until I can use them :(

I just got into fig cuttings too and will be 2024 before I can eat the things
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 08:05:54 am by toasty fresh hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

hutch

« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2021, 09:53:46 pm »
That’s true..can’t drink homebrew at shows I guess

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2021, 04:20:21 pm »
a talk
is there video evidence?

yes, there is.  if you're a member of the AHA, all talks from past HomeBrewCons (formerly national homebrewers conference, NHC) are available on the AHA website.  my talk was in philly in 2013.

Chinook (used in Stout, Porter and IPAs) and Willamette (Pale Ales, Amber Ales. Porters, Irish Red Ale.)
Didn't really have too many options, plus it's more for the aroma and not the bittering

chinook is a great choice - good solid grower, nice hop for APA/IPA.  willamette i'm personally less excited by, it's more on the noble hop/british hop end of things.  for a while Budweiser was using it in their beers (not that they use very much...).  if ever you're looking for plant #3, consider cascade.  another strong grower that is great in APA/IPA.

you should only plan on using homegrown hops of flavor/aroma.  there is no way of knowing what the AA% of your homegrown hops will be, thus impossible to estimate how much bittering you'll get out of them.  homegrown always have lower AA% than commercial, but how much less is anyone's guess... 20% less?  half as much?  more?

the best use of homegrown hops, IMO, is a fresh-hopped/wet-hopped beer.  make a standard APA or IPA wort, bitter using a commercial hop with known AA%, then at flame-out dunk a mesh bag (like a BIAB bag if you have one) with 3 to 5 pounds of fresh hops that you picked that same day.  let them steep for a while, pull 'em out and let them drain into the kettle, then cool as normal.  dry-hop with more fresh hops if they are still available.

there is a part of me that is just fine growing them for fun
Didn't realize it would be three seasons until I can use them :(

no no - you'll be able to use them this year, it's just that the yield will be low.  by your third harvest, the plants should be at full strength and producing their full output.
<sig>