Author Topic: Zero 7 coming up...  (Read 5675 times)

Bags

Zero 7 coming up...
« on: May 17, 2004, 11:53:00 am »
I have this show on my tentative list.  I love a couple songs ("Destiny" is so fantastic), but don't have any albums and am not sure how they come off live.  I tend to find electronica, dreamy music a bit of a snore live, but I'm sure I can be proven wrong.

So, recommendations or protestations?

JGatz

Re: Zero 7 coming up...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 02:48:00 pm »
I saw them the last time they came to the 930 and were pretty good live.  Not a lot of energy but I came away happy.

I'm debating if they're worth the 20 bucks though.  If it were 15 I'd be there.

I haven't listened to the new album.  How is it?

helicon1

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 08:39:00 pm »
"When It Falls" is very similar to "Simple Things". When they were here in '02, it was a relaxed, small crowd. I ended up sitting in the balcony which I almost never do. This is the perfect show to attend solo for those not afraid to do that sort of thing   :)  Anyway, I thought it was a great performance.  

I asked the ticket office this past Saturday if there was a chance it will sell out. It won't.

J'Mal

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 10:13:00 pm »
the new album is excellent but "simple things" is a stunning masterpiece and if you don't have it your life is not complete.

as for their show last time, it was one of the best concerts of all time.  everyone who was on the album, was on stage.  they had like 11 or 14 folks there... mozes, sia, all of them...

it frikin' ROCKED.

it is a crime if a single ticket goes unsold.

anyway, ask me how i really feel.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 10:17:00 pm »
Great input, helicon, thanks.  I'm going to play it by ear, but may just swing by....

woops, you too, J'mal -- I posted while you were posting!

Shembala

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 12:09:00 am »
I concur, the last time they swung through town they put on a very special show. The house was only 2/3'rds full but screamed bloody murder for the encore. The lastest album is slow to get, but put it on heavy rotation and it comes around.

This is a must see show, lots of talent on stage.

abalex

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 01:35:00 pm »
There's an entire live concert of theirs available in streaming video:
 http://www.virtuetv.com/music/concerts/zero7/index.asp
 This is from their previous tour, I believe...

J'Mal

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 12:28:00 am »
Wow.

helicon1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 06:25:00 am »
Agreed. Best show I've seen so far this year. It is great seeing a band having so much fun on stage. Much tighter and better performance than in '02. Also, the place was pretty full... It amazes me, I can never tell which shows will draw strong or weak crowds.

J'Mal

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 09:43:00 am »
I thought it was empty and I cannot understand why.

They were amazing.  All the performances were just amazing.  (BTW it was funny how Mozez had some of the words written on his hand but he didn't need to read 'em.  He and Sia absolutely stole the show, and it was a hard show to steal...)

Shembala

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
3 encores!
 should have been packed

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 11:24:00 am »
What commercial radio stations play their music?

Originally posted by J'Mal:
  I thought it was empty and I cannot understand why.

J'Mal

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 12:32:00 pm »
I don't think anyone listens to terrestrial radio stations anymore.  Air, which appeals to much the same crowd, was packed for two shows and I doubt they get much more airplay than do Zero-7.

Bags

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 12:50:00 pm »
What radio stations play the majority of bands who sell out the 9:30 Club?

snailhook

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 06:14:00 pm »
i worked this show. all i have to say is:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i have something to add:

yaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

seriously, zero 7 sounded like air but not as good. 90 minutes plus of the same song with little variation. three white female singers with below average voices wailing faux-soul. boring starbucks rock with synths.

i may be a bit harsh on these guys, because i didn't think they were awful. just awfully mediocre. i can't think of one exceptional thing about them.