Author Topic: Tech Question  (Read 11536 times)

hutch

Re: Tech Question
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2020, 12:06:28 pm »
Damn you all to hell...TO HELL

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2020, 01:29:11 pm »
Now, I don't love Lenovo

i for one do at least like lenovo.  i'm currently typing on a 4 or 5 year old lenovo gaming laptop and it's stilll a beast of a machine.  rock-solid, i've had zero problems with it.

per your stated requirements, you don't need a high-performance machine, just something average.  what you may want, and i'm assuming a few things here, is support.  i suspect you won't have a corporate helpdesk to call up when things don't work, so getting some good tech support and a good warrantee/guarantee is something you should consider as part of your purchase - and consider whether it's worth paying extra for it.  when i bought my lappie i got a 3-year no-questions-asked extended warrantee for a good price.  i used it once and it was a breeze.  had my 'puter back to me in 3 or 4 days, i forget.  if you buy from MicroCenter, ask them what support they offer.
<sig>

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2020, 01:35:01 pm »
I also, endorse both:

Lenovo and
Microcenter.

WALKonBack

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2020, 01:54:10 pm »
I can feel the, love.  Hutch, not so much.

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2020, 03:28:50 pm »
Nice thing about Micro Center is that they actually have stores (locally in Fairfax and Rockville), and they're awesome. They're like IKEA but for geeks. Shit tons of DIY stuff.
like the only computer store left, I try to stay away as it causes leakage in my wallet

Now, I don't love Lenovo

i for one do at least like lenovo.  ...i got a 3-year no-questions-asked extended warrantee for a good price. 
had my 'puter back to me in 3 or 4 days

Actually, support is probably my biggest gripe with Lenovo.  the Depot support where you have mail your laptop in for service is cringy and their phone support was always weak

I've been in the computer support biz for over 20 years, Dell by far has the best support (although now you have to get the 'pro' support package to get that)
If they can't fix it remotely, they send someone to your house to replace no questions asked
But that ends up costing about $100~ in your purchase price

if you buy from MicroCenter, ask them what support they offer.
This might be a better option

Laptops it's always good to get the Accidental support, but at $600 for a new one, not sure it's worth paying $150 for
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:36:09 pm by Tinselscrote-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:01:46 am by artistic obscenity-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Yada

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2020, 11:02:21 am »
Buy a $300ish Chromebook and call it a day.

It will cover all of your forum and youtube needs.

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2020, 11:14:12 am »
I agree with Yada...I can't see a single reason why that wouldn't fit the bill for him

I think hutch was burned by a POS netbook almost a decade ago and is once bitten twice shy
But he said he wanted an Apple (hey somebody needs to keep my stocks up) and $750 for a new apple is somewhat unheard
slack

hutch

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2020, 11:14:49 am »
That’s the old model

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2020, 11:25:21 am »
That’s the old model
It's still new and has a warranty...but yes it's discounted to move so they can sell you the $1000 ones when the inventory is gone

like you'd know or see any difference between the models...
slack

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2020, 04:01:20 pm »
auction anyone?

https://rasmus.com/auctions/9My4e3D64rN9QUjluBHT/a/M30511---MacBook--Laptops---IT-Online-Auction--Computers--Projectors--IT--MacBooks--Laptops--Baltimo   

Hmm. Some interesting stuff here. Thanks for the link!
these devices are 8 years old! 
I guess for $50 it's not a bad deal, but not sure I'd be buying stuff that old for anything other than giving to my kids or Hutch

You probably won't even be able to upgrade them past Snow Leopard and you'll have all sorts of application/browser/security issues
slack

hutch

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2020, 04:02:27 pm »
I could not accept it...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2020, 04:04:04 pm »
I could not accept it...

Sort of anti-eponysterical?