Author Topic: The Anthem  (Read 258310 times)

JohnnyBaconbitz

Re: The Anthem
« Reply #990 on: December 06, 2017, 01:01:15 am »
Soooo....Matt was pretty tanked tonight....

GoodOmens

« Reply #991 on: December 06, 2017, 01:59:53 pm »

When ever I think something's awkward I'll just remember the time I saw someone forget the lyrics to their hit song, twice, and made the band stop playing it....

Darth Ed

« Reply #992 on: December 06, 2017, 03:27:36 pm »

When ever I think something's awkward I'll just remember the time I saw someone forget the lyrics to their hit song, twice, and made the band stop playing it....
Very disappointing show. I've been a fan of The National since seeing them at the Black Cat in March 2006, and this was the ninth time I've seen them in concert. This was easily the worse show of theirs that I've seen. Matt has never had the best vocal range, but he's apparently given up any pretext of even trying to hit the right notes. Which is unfortunate because the rest of the band was on point. Anyway, I'll be thinking twice about seeing them live again, and, if I do, it would have to be a seated venue. Their music is too slow at this point for standing/dancing.

Also, this was my first show at the Anthem. Too big for me. The venue loses all of the intimacy of the Club. It felt like an arena show, and I usually avoid those. I took the Metro to the Waterfront and walked from there. The line to get in wasn't too bad, although I was initially put off because it felt as though we were being herded like cattle, but it was well organized and the staph was pleasant enough. The beer list didn't have anything that I particularly enjoyed, unfortunately, so I skipped drinks. I didn't use the restroom, so I have no idea what the soap dispenser situation is currently. I did appreciate the water fountains and the air conditioning though. It never felt stuffy.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:32:48 pm by Darth Ed »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #993 on: December 13, 2017, 03:26:41 pm »
Metrobus comes to the Wharf, runs as late as 2am:

Route 52 will be extended to 12th Street and Maine Avenue SW to serve L'Enfant Plaza Metrorail Station via The Wharf. Routes 53 and 54 will be combined into a new Route 54 operating between Takoma Metrorail Station and F & 12th streets NW (Metro Center Metrorail Station). The Route 53 designation will be eliminated.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

hutch

« Reply #995 on: December 17, 2017, 01:08:04 am »
Another Seth guest appearance...on drums for the Wilburys Handle with care...

lily1

« Reply #996 on: December 18, 2017, 07:40:52 am »
can i get some opinions on set times for the thievery NYE show?

doors 7.30pm

i'm thinking:

trouble funk at 8.30pm for an hour.

gogol bordello at  9.45pm for an hour.

thievery corporation at 11pm for two hours. i just don't know how late to expect them to play because of the building noise ordinance.

normally i wouldn't care about the ending time but i've got friends potentially coming in and they need to plan for the babysitter and getting back to VA whereas i only need to walk 3 blocks home.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #997 on: December 18, 2017, 10:23:37 am »
can i get some opinions on set times for the thievery NYE show?

doors 7.30pm

i'm thinking:

trouble funk at 8.30pm for an hour.

gogol bordello at  9.45pm for an hour.

thievery corporation at 11pm for two hours. i just don't know how late to expect them to play because of the building noise ordinance.

normally i wouldn't care about the ending time but i've got friends potentially coming in and they need to plan for the babysitter and getting back to VA whereas i only need to walk 3 blocks home.
I'm curious how the advertised free champagne toast is going to work at Midnight. With The Anthem's well-documented terrible inability to get people in the facility or serve drinks in anything approaching a timely manner, I have a feeling some attendees will still be waiting for their champagne at the vernal equinox.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:59:53 am by Julian, Confirmation VIRTUOSO »
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #998 on: December 19, 2017, 11:24:29 pm »

lily1

« Reply #999 on: December 22, 2017, 12:25:50 am »
@Hutch
Tried to respond to your PM but your inbox is full.
Thank you for the information! Much appreciated!

lily1

« Reply #1000 on: January 01, 2018, 10:57:46 am »
soap dispensers have been replaced! can confirm that new dispensers work great!

:D :D :D :D

lily1

« Reply #1001 on: January 01, 2018, 11:07:00 am »
anyone else go last night? show was fucking great.

an hour of trouble funk, an hour and twenty minutes of gogol bordello and 2 hours of thievery corporation.

balloon drop; many of which were phallic shaped. no champagne toast but it was all ages.

really good crowd; very few obnoxious and/or drunk fucks and a minimal of folks pushing their way to through and we were pretty close to the front. lots of weed from people who like to share their weed.

super friendly staff (as always.)

no wait to get in (but it wasn't sold out-maybe 2/3? curious what the crowd size was), no wait at the bars, barely a wait for the bathroom. looked to be a hella wait for coat check.

and a mere 3 block walk there and back from home.

best new years in years. Thanks Seth and Staph!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:11:44 am by lily1 »

hutch

« Reply #1002 on: January 01, 2018, 12:37:08 pm »
Great crowd...good people...even Seth made an appearance

Only bittersweet moment for me was thinking of Pam Bricker when they launched into Lebanese Blonde

lily1

« Reply #1003 on: January 01, 2018, 04:44:00 pm »
Great crowd...good people...even Seth made an appearance

Only bittersweet moment for me was thinking of Pam Bricker when they launched into Lebanese Blonde

Agreed.  Another DC legend that lost the battle with depression.

And no Sista Pat; not sure what happened there as she was still singing in DC but hasn't sung specifically with TC for at least 5 years.  Not sure what happened to Kristina, the Brazilian singer from circa 2002-2006.

MAGA 2020

« Reply #1004 on: January 01, 2018, 05:05:46 pm »
imagine if someone lit up a cigarette next to you...holy hell.  it amazes me the anti cig smoking pro/weed crowd these days. (i dont smoke cigs and do smoke weed on occasion)

anyone else go last night? show was fucking great.

an hour of trouble funk, an hour and twenty minutes of gogol bordello and 2 hours of thievery corporation.

balloon drop; many of which were phallic shaped. no champagne toast but it was all ages.

really good crowd; very few obnoxious and/or drunk fucks and a minimal of folks pushing their way to through and we were pretty close to the front. lots of weed from people who like to share their weed.

super friendly staff (as always.)

no wait to get in (but it wasn't sold out-maybe 2/3? curious what the crowd size was), no wait at the bars, barely a wait for the bathroom. looked to be a hella wait for coat check.

and a mere 3 block walk there and back from home.

best new years in years. Thanks Seth and Staph!!!!!!!!!