Author Topic: The Anthem  (Read 265245 times)

moeszyslak

Re: The Anthem
« Reply #1095 on: October 12, 2022, 04:24:23 pm »
I once saw the boss Rick Ross at DAR.  Wale and Meek Mill made appearances.  Someone 'made it rain' in my section when Meek Mill came out.  The cash that landed on me paid for my beers that night.  I also saw John Mellencamp there. Everything else I have seen there has been mentioned already. 

Starsky

« Reply #1096 on: October 12, 2022, 04:30:33 pm »
I saw one of the Experience Hendrix shows there..lots of legends but I was really there for Mick Taylor. I think a dude from the Doors and maybe one or two peeps that had played with Jimi were there….

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1097 on: October 12, 2022, 04:34:56 pm »
I don’t think DAR has even close to same capacity
I want to say its like 3800?

Had front row tickets to Bright Eyes and Kosmo-approved Magic Numbers there and it was a really cool show. Saw a terrible Smashing Pumpkins show there with occasional boardie saintangelsin but that was as much about the setlist as it was the venue.

As I say to most commentaries around venue sound quality, you all make mountains of out molehills and it was always fine and you're a bunch of babies.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #1098 on: October 12, 2022, 04:36:36 pm »
Ok what about the seats? You like the seats? What about how you couldn’t bring drinks in, you like that?

« Reply #1099 on: October 12, 2022, 04:40:09 pm »
Ok what about the seats? You like the seats? What about how you couldn’t bring drinks in, you like that?
I wasn't discussing seats or drinks because no one was discussing seats or drinks up until right this second. The repeated canard on here, reiterated thru "ITS NOT A MUSIC VENUE" type comments, is to say the sound is bad which is about the least rock-n-roll thing I've ever heard and remains a reverse Emperor's New Clothes that people in this community thinks makes them -- I dunno -- "a tr00er music fan than someone else" or something.

Seats are fine? I have no recollection of the drink situation?
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #1100 on: October 12, 2022, 04:42:18 pm »
Dude I am glad you liked it ok -and I treasure some of the shows I saw there- but overall the venue, for music,blew chunks.

« Reply #1101 on: October 12, 2022, 04:56:33 pm »
Worse show ever at DAR: Moe
I don't think DAR was the problem at that show
slack

Starsky

« Reply #1102 on: October 12, 2022, 05:01:08 pm »

True. My friend Howard got me a ticket….big mistake to take it

« Reply #1103 on: October 12, 2022, 05:25:59 pm »

True. My friend Howard got me a ticket….big mistake to take it
I also know a Howard with deplorable taste in music. I wonder if we know the same Howard or this runs in the Howard Bloodstream?
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1104 on: October 12, 2022, 06:20:56 pm »
Pet Shop Boys sounded like shit

i guess it depended where you sat, because from my position (fifth or six box, right side) the PSB sounded great.  what a great show that was...

the thing with DAR is, as every good lawyer will tell you, "it depends" - depends on PA used, the sound techs (and their familiarity with the venue or similar), the type of music, you position in the hall.  when compared to a venue like The Anthem that always sounds good, then yeah DAR sucks because of its inconsistency.

there was a stand-up show i saw there - might have been Eddie Izzard? - had such a terrible slap-back echo that the audience started shouting "we can't hear you!", "fix the sound!", etc.  they stopped the show for a minute, some improvements may have been made (i couldn't tell as i was up front where the performance was intelligible) and the show went on with fewer heckles about the sound quality.
<sig>

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #1105 on: October 13, 2022, 09:25:28 am »
Shows I've seen there have sounded fine - Foos (acoustic show) R.E.M. back in the day.  King Sunny Ade' if I recall sounded great.  Louis C.K. also had great acoustics.  Understood every word he said.

Starsky

« Reply #1106 on: October 13, 2022, 09:52:50 am »
Well the good news is DAR is still open for you!

Great show last night at Anthem with Killers and Johnny Marr…they did a short set of Smiths songs… they just played Cap One a few days ago so interesting combo….

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #1107 on: October 13, 2022, 05:39:44 pm »
May have gone to this if Marr was the main act and Killers were not on bill at all.

Well the good news is DAR is still open for you!

Great show last night at Anthem with Killers and Johnny Marr…they did a short set of Smiths songs… they just played Cap One a few days ago so interesting combo….

Starsky

« Reply #1108 on: October 13, 2022, 06:08:23 pm »
You would have paid $125 or $259 to see Johnny Marr?

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #1109 on: October 13, 2022, 11:21:53 pm »
Yes Marr for $25-$59 and even Yes for that amount.

You would have paid $125 or $259 to see Johnny Marr?