Author Topic: Hotels in the District  (Read 5876 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Hotels in the District
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:05:30 am »
I realize this topic may be a little of a lark since there's really only three regulars who ever get hotels in DC (Smackie, Walkie, and myself) and one of them is off on a vision quest but I figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone pipes in.

What hotels do people like in town? To be clear, DC proper, not Arlington or any of that mess. My go-to since I moved away has been the Westin on 14th and M but their prices continue to go up and the hotel is starting to get shabby. Anyone have any place they highly recommend? Prefer a bit north of the Capitol et al but open to suggestions. Don't give a shit about a pool; extra points for a good bar and reasonably priced valet. Thanks,
LVMH

Relaxer

Re: Hotels in the District
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:20:53 am »
I've spent some time in hotels. Friend of mine often gets a room at the George when she's feeling stressed. That's a nice place, and you can often find really good 'last minute' online deals for it. And the Holiday Inn at Gaithersburg is cool because you can check out an hour after checking in and they don't even look at you funny.
oword

ggw

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:21:21 am »
You should stay with Hutch and live-blog the experience.

Space Freely

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 09:28:22 am »

bearman🐻

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 09:30:19 am »

+1

I'm thinking that there's a melange of items strewn about, ranging from Frank Zappa bootlegs to 1970's vintage bongs to stacks of old copies of Creem magazine. And a vibrant ficus tree in the corner. But somehow you can describe the style as "Hutch chic".

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 09:36:33 am »

+1

I'm thinking that there's a melange of items strewn about, ranging from Frank Zappa bootlegs to 1970's vintage bongs to stacks of old copies of Creem magazine. And a vibrant ficus tree in the corner. But somehow you can describe the style as "Hutch chic".
Don't speculate on the shabbiness of Hutch's 927 sq ft home; he'll cry to the moderators then harass killsaly for three hours.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 09:38:50 am »
Shabby chic IS a thing. I don't think it would be that bad. I'd be fascinated if we could do Forum Cribs. Show off your Trans Am, your hot tub...I'd show off my Dr. Hook LP that's signed by Iggy Pop (yes, I really have such an item).

As far as hotels in the district, the Liaison is pretty good and usually quite reasonable. Convenient to U Street, H Street, a lot of DC nightlife.

ggw

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:59:05 am »
3:42 AM - We are through the looking glass here.  Hutch is in the kitchen, whipping up his ninth (tenth?) pina colada.  I'm pretty sure I caught him downing a couple of perc30s about an hour ago too.  I just endured a 75 minute disquisition on the Moorish influences on Paraguayan Afro-pop.  Hutch is threatening next to lead me on a tour of his Stax and Volt vinyl, including a cherished first pressing of Sam & Dave's Double Dynamite LP, on which he allegedly secured an autograph from Donald Duck Dunn in the men's room at a Waffle House in Mecklenburg.  I'm very tired and really need to sleep, but the guest bed is littered with sullied Play-Skool products, a stack of yellowing Spin magazines, and what appears to be a desiccated anaconda skin that Hutch fished from the dumpster behind the Renaissance hotel the last time Chico Buarque came through DC.  Also, I'm more than a little concerned about Hutch's soundness of mind.  Occasionally he quivers a little bit and I'm sure I hear his teeth grinding as he mutters "COMEY!" over and over again.  He has this weird glint in his eye that makes me feel like I'm caught in a bad stalker film on the Lifetime Movie Network.  If I don't post again, tell my mom I love her.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 12:06:16 pm »
I think the kimpton hotels are great: Helix and hotel Rouge
and somewhat close to the club

I also really like the Tabbard inn

but the crashing on couches of boardies and reviving you GWARBBQ Instagram would be a hoot

Edit - GGW that is some forum gold there^
slack

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 12:07:46 pm »
3:42 AM - We are through the looking glass here.  Hutch is in the kitchen, whipping up his ninth (tenth?) pina colada.  I'm pretty sure I caught him downing a couple of perc30s about an hour ago too.  I just endured a 75 minute disquisition on the Moorish influences on Paraguayan Afro-pop.  Hutch is threatening next to lead me on a tour of his Stax and Volt vinyl, including a cherished first pressing of Sam & Dave's Double Dynamite LP, on which he allegedly secured an autograph from Donald Duck Dunn in the men's room at a Waffle House in Mecklenburg.  I'm very tired and really need to sleep, but the guest bed is littered with sullied Play-Skool products, a stack of yellowing Spin magazines, and what appears to be a desiccated anaconda skin that Hutch fished from the dumpster behind the Renaissance hotel the last time Chico Buarque came through DC.  Also, I'm more than a little concerned about Hutch's soundness of mind.  Occasionally he quivers a little bit and I'm sure I hear his teeth grinding as he mutters "COMEY!" over and over again.  He has this weird glint in his eye that makes me feel like I'm caught in a bad stalker film on the Lifetime Movie Network.  If I don't post again, tell my mom I love her.
That's an all-timer. Anyone want to second a nomination for HoF status?

but the crashing on couches of boardies and reviving you GWARBBQ Instagram would be a hoot
Really the only follow up to GwarBQ is spending a weekend with Hutch. Jerry Seinfeld has Cars and Comedians, I have Barcaloungers and Boardies.
LVMH

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 12:13:45 pm »
hotel Rouge
The decor on the website looks like something out of Ru Paul's Drag Race. In other words, I know what Walkie would've suggested were he here.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 12:16:48 pm »

I'll second it.. that is brilliant...

sadly there is a lot of truth on this thread...

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:26:43 pm »
I think every thing but the Perc30 is actually true
slack

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 12:34:43 pm »
I think every thing but the Perc30 is actually true
I would've ended the opening line with ", people" but other than that, he pretty much has my longform writing style down too.

EDIT: Also I would've listed Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Fear, or Body Parts instead of a reference to an untitled Lifetime film.

EDIT EDIT: "He has this weird glint in his eye that makes me feel like I'm Reese Witherspoon in Fear, but later in the film when the finger-blasting is just an faded reminder of insoutient teenage fornication."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:40:13 pm by Julian, Coastal ELITE »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 12:45:56 pm »
speak of the devil I'm actually looking at booking a hotel in NYC.. i'd like to be somewhere close to central park/museum of natural history.. we will be two adults.. with two kids 7 and 4.. i'm looking sometime around mid april

any suggestions would be helpful/welcome