Author Topic: Bands/Artists that you like that are not very impressive live  (Read 6214 times)

Vas Deferens

Bands/Artists that you like that are not very impressive live
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:52:37 am »
Modest Mouse
Morrissey
(_|_)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Bands/Artists that you like that are not very impressive live
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 11:16:23 am »
Modest Mouse
Agreed. This is, at best, a "meh" live band.
LVMH

analogfossa

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 12:20:01 pm »
Modest Mouse
Agreed. This is, at best, a "meh" live band.
Last time that they played the club was pretty great though. At least day 2 was. Can't speak for other times they've played DC. My vote is for Protomatyr. Their lead singer loses all sense of melody live.

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 12:41:05 pm »
I have been told that the Shins have figured it out, but the first two times I saw them they were definitely much better recorded than live.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 12:45:26 pm »
Not among my most favorite bands, but I thought both the National and Broken Social Scene were totally underwhelming live.

analogfossa

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 04:06:51 pm »
Also John Maus is probably the prime key of great songs/bad live execution. He literally walks out onstage with a corded mic attached to his laptop and does Karaoke over his own songs. That shit gets old after two songs max. I usually don't leave shows of artists I like but that was awful.

Space Freely

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 04:20:07 pm »
Any band where the lead singer doesn't have the gift of gab is more likely to be boring live. I want a frontman that adds some personality to the proceedings.

On that note, Son Volt is really boring live. Then again, a lot of their music is too (though I liked a couple of albums).

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 04:29:21 pm »
I love Real Estate's 2nd and 3rd LPs, but live they were an utter bore. I'd say the Arctic Monkeys aren't that great live either.

Oasis used to be dreadfully boring live. They sounded amazing, and the performances were strong, but to watch them was like watching paint dry.

Sonic Youth could be notoriously hit or miss. Sometimes they'd be great. Other times they'd be a snooze.

bearman🐻

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 04:31:49 pm »
Any band where the lead singer doesn't have the gift of gab is more likely to be boring live. I want a frontman that adds some personality to the proceedings.

I saw Sugar once and they were so loud that they just blew through their set in about 75 minutes. I think the only thing Bob Mould said was "thank you, see you next time" and I was more than fine with it. Some bands say what they need to through their music.

Space Freely

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 07:20:46 pm »

I saw Sugar once and they were so loud that they just blew through their set in about 75 minutes. I think the only thing Bob Mould said was "thank you, see you next time" and I was more than fine with it. Some bands say what they need to through their music.

I won't dispute that, that's why i said "more than likely."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 07:58:22 pm »
i'm struggling with this topic because i'm not sure if it's about one bad show (AKA what many if not most are describing here); vs. a band that is perennially underwhelming.  i supposed arriving at the latter conclusion is tough because if you saw a band once and they were underwhelming chances are low you are going to see them again and get multiple data points...

so, following the lead of others:

- i was totally amped to see Arctic Monkeys at the club (in 2006?) and they were painfully boring.

- one of my most enduring 930 memories was hanging with brennser on the stairs between the 2nd and 3rd floors of the club and lamenting just how awful the National were.  if i remember correctly, they were the middle of the bill that night (in 2007?).

- "live" shows by simon posford, AKA hallucinogen and one-half of shpongle, have gone from me getting on a plane to see them (and it being worth the effort and expense); to utter meh.  i saw 2 sets from him this summer, under each of his projects/names/personalities/etc.  one was decent, the other was awful and i left early.  (aside: shpongle have a new album out, and it's pretty damn excellent after 2 listens.  best one since their first, IMO.  rumor has it that they'll be doing a large full-band tour in 2018... i'll be taking a chance on that, if i can).
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 08:17:19 pm »
Just about any hip hop band I've seen. If you've got pre-recorded music going on, I'm not going to be impressed.

hutch

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 08:18:18 pm »
Blondie

Space Freely

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 08:20:17 pm »
I have been told that the Shins have figured it out, but the first two times I saw them they were definitely much better recorded than live.

Saw them after their first album then twice again on their second album and completely agree with you, haven't seen them since. Maybe they got better after ditching that hot girlfriend beating keyboard player Marty Crandall.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 08:21:52 pm »
Just about any hip hop band I've seen. If you've got pre-recorded music going on, I'm not going to be impressed.

but do you actually like any hip hop bands?
<sig>