Author Topic: Julian's America II: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 116239 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Julian's America II: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #525 on: November 15, 2022, 09:31:05 pm »
this may start to fill the void left by the loss of Sir Rothschild:

Estée Lauder Agrees to Buy Tom Ford Brand in $2.8 Billion Deal
Tom Ford’s high-end fragrances routinely make best-seller lists, and the deal, the luxury industry’s biggest this year, also brings apparel to Estée Lauder, which had been strictly focused on beauty.
<sig>

Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER

• Hall of Fame Poster, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #526 on: November 15, 2022, 09:39:18 pm »
this may start to fill the void left by the loss of Sir Rothschild:

Estée Lauder Agrees to Buy Tom Ford Brand in $2.8 Billion Deal
Tom Ford’s high-end fragrances routinely make best-seller lists, and the deal, the luxury industry’s biggest this year, also brings apparel to Estée Lauder, which had been strictly focused on beauty.
Aerin Lauder’s husband Eric is my boss’ boss. Saw him last week in NY and that cool cat didn’t let this slip.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #527 on: December 15, 2022, 02:00:58 pm »
How is one celebrating Bernard Arnault finally pipping Elon Musk at the top?
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #528 on: January 09, 2023, 01:31:05 pm »
food security is about to become a major issue in JA:

Noma, Rated the World’s Best Restaurant, Is Closing Its Doors
The Copenhagen chef René Redzepi says fine dining at the highest level, with its grueling hours and intense workplace culture, has hit a breaking point: “It’s unsustainable.”

The chef René Redzepi will close his Copenhagen restaurant, Noma, for regular service at the height of its fame.

(...)

The decision comes as Noma and many other elite restaurants are facing scrutiny of their treatment of the workers, many of them paid poorly or not at all, who produce and serve these exquisite dishes. The style of fine dining that Noma helped create and promote around the globe — wildly innovative, labor-intensive and vastly expensive — may be undergoing a sustainability crisis.

(...)

The chef David Kinch, who last week closed his three-Michelin-starred restaurant Manresa, in Los Gatos, Calif., said, “the last 30 years were a gilded age,” when ambitious restaurants multiplied and became less formal and more exciting. His casual restaurants will remain open, but he said fine dining was no longer something he wanted to do himself, or to inflict on his staff, calling the work “backbreaking.”
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #529 on: February 01, 2023, 04:32:29 pm »
julian americans, rejoice!  no longer will you be forced to rub your well-hydrated elbows with the commoners in order to get your artificial intelligence needs met:

Introducing ChatGPT Plus
We’re launching a pilot subscription plan for ChatGPT, a conversational AI that can chat with you, answer follow-up questions, and challenge incorrect assumptions.

FINALLY!!!  i can only imagine what intellectual peaks will be summited now that JA has privileged access to AI...

"how do the poors carry on, day after day?"
"is pissing into the moat truly as gauche as it feels? and if so, does it still count if the hired help does it for me?"
"recommend a decent pomerol to go with caviar other than Pétrus"

possibilities are endless!!!
<sig>

« Reply #530 on: February 01, 2023, 05:15:36 pm »
You’re joking, but someone is going to use ChatGPT to write wine reviews at some point and there’s going to be a scandal.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #531 on: February 01, 2023, 07:24:52 pm »
You’re joking, but someone is going to use ChatGPT to write wine reviews at some point and there’s going to be a scandal.

i don't know enough about the wine review scene to know if it'll be a scandal or not, but 100% certain that this will happen.  might already have.  real estate agents are using ChatGPT to write house listings ("look at the images and describe the house using terms from and in the style of other listings").  kids are using it to write their essays: "give me a 1,000 word essay on the causes of the American Civil War, written in the style of an 10th grade student" - and boom, your weekend is free to goof off.  i'm in a FB group dedicated to brewing sour beer, and one of the nerds asked two relatively complex questions and the answers were quite decent.  there was one flagrant mistake (brettanomyces is a yeast not a bacteria, duh!!!) but otherwise they were completely in line with what you'd expect to read in this community of experts.  had the OP not noted that the replied were from an AI, i'm sure no one would have noticed (other than being razzed for making a newbie error about brett)

brave new world.
<sig>

« Reply #532 on: February 01, 2023, 07:53:44 pm »
i don't know enough about the wine review scene to know if it'll be a scandal or not,
Thats why it’s called Julian’s Loire Valley and not Sweetcell’s Okanagan Valley.
LVMH