Author Topic: Belly up, fired, and retired  (Read 373642 times)

Re: Belly up, fired, and retired
« Reply #690 on: October 05, 2020, 12:12:02 pm »
U Street Music Hall
Man that blows chunks...they were just getting ready to celebrate their 10yr anny :(

https://www.ustreetmusichall.com/e/u-street-music-hall-closes-after-years-124103303321/
slack

hutch

« Reply #691 on: October 05, 2020, 12:35:09 pm »
It’s a big loss even though it wasn’t a room designed for live music..it’s obviously a huge loss for the DC dance club community

I would expect Will Eastman to reenter the business if we can ever have live shows / DJs again

I always thought IMP would probably prefer to have their own place (instead of renting) for up and coming acts (or acts on the way down)...so I could have seen them opening up another club

At this point though it’s unclear what will happen... what if live music is banned until 2022??? 

I worry about the Black Cat...but for a lot of places - if you don’t own your space-I would encourage them to close and reopen when times improve.. should the role of government be to prop up these companies for potentially years? It’s a tough situation..do you want to wait til Biden is inaugurated hoping for help? Another 4-5 months til you see $?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 12:55:17 pm by bitter much »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #692 on: October 05, 2020, 01:41:15 pm »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #693 on: October 05, 2020, 02:05:08 pm »
I worry about the Black Cat...

This. I worry about ALL of them but this one in particular.

Really sucks about U Street.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #694 on: October 05, 2020, 02:47:17 pm »
I worry about the Black Cat...

This. I worry about ALL of them but this one in particular.
Ditto. Sorry about U St Music Hall but my life will go on. Black Cat ceasing to exist altogether will feel like a piece of me died.
LVMH

« Reply #695 on: October 06, 2020, 11:36:42 am »
shit...grainville moore's didn't make it either

slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #696 on: October 07, 2020, 10:31:51 am »
 :(

That was my pre-show venue.  I recognize there are other decent places on the street but this was the one I really liked.

« Reply #697 on: October 07, 2020, 12:45:51 pm »
:(

That was my pre-show venue.  I recognize there are other decent places on the street but this was the one I really liked.
GM was a great place, I would go just for the beers and fries/mussels on many occasions
Other than the blowtel that was one of my only H st destinations
slack

hutch

« Reply #698 on: October 07, 2020, 12:50:52 pm »
I avoid H St like the plague...people who go there enjoy what? Crime? Being hassled by beggars? Nightmare finding a safe spot to park?

I have heard many good things about GM’s over the years

But if I wanted mussels and wine or beer I’d go to Bistrot du Coin ... that’s my place

I just never got the H St thing

Space Freely

« Reply #699 on: October 07, 2020, 01:27:50 pm »
I avoid H St like the plague...people who go there enjoy what? Crime? Being hassled by beggars? Nightmare finding a safe spot to park?

I have heard many good things about GM’s over the years

But if I wanted mussels and wine or beer I’d go to Bistrot du Coin ... that’s my place

I just never got the H St thing

It sounds like you haven't gone to H Street in 10 years. Someone who hasn't been to the 9:30 Club in 20 years could make the same argument about that area.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #700 on: October 07, 2020, 01:42:10 pm »
Yeah, once I figured out the parking around H Street it became a surprisingly easy endeavor. Never felt unsafe or got hassled by anyone.

Sadly, it’s just not going to be a place I visit too often anymore.

hutch

« Reply #701 on: October 07, 2020, 02:12:02 pm »
It hasn’t been ten years...it’s been a few

But the point is I would go to U Street cause of the 930 Club and Black Cat and U St Hall (RIP) and a few record stores

What is there on H Street to go to? RNR Hotel was a crummy venue

hutch

« Reply #702 on: October 07, 2020, 02:25:52 pm »
Now I don’t go anywhere other than the Post Office and the CD Cellar (and they got a new guy pricing so it’s gone to hell)

Some life

Space Freely

« Reply #703 on: October 07, 2020, 02:48:37 pm »
It hasn’t been ten years...it’s been a few

But the point is I would go to U Street cause of the 930 Club and Black Cat and U St Hall (RIP) and a few record stores

What is there on H Street to go to? RNR Hotel was a crummy venue

I work nearby and would hit Whole Foods for a pint and Craft Beer Cellar (one of the best beer stores in DC) for takeaway beer. I went to Granville Moore's once or twice but mussels make me violently ill and there's cheaper Belgian beer found elsewhere. Maybe there are some other good food destinations down that way? Probably a question for Yada, I don't really follow the foodie scene.

I say that in the past tense of course.

There was a shooting at the Whole Foods last year but that was an anomaly. That end of H Street always seemed pretty safe though maybe it gets a little sketchier down toward RNR. The one or two times i had been to RNR lately i had parked up in the Whole Foods area and walked down.

All in all though i think that area has markedly improved in terms of safety, though i haven't read the stats.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #704 on: October 07, 2020, 03:40:00 pm »
Bistrot du Coin? What year is it?  2005? Are they still serving Clicquot as a loss leader? Do you hit up Russia House afterwards?
LVMH