Author Topic: The "We Should Have a Midterms 2018 Discussion Thread" Thread  (Read 31554 times)

ggw

Re: The "We Should Have a Midterms 2018 Discussion Thread" Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2018, 11:56:13 am »
Where's Katherine Harris when you need her?

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2018, 12:01:16 pm »
Where's Katherine Harris when you need her?
Haven't though about her for ages...surprised some news outlets aren't trying to track her down for commentary

Harris has not been very active in public life since retiring from politics..... and in 2017, after admitting she'd become "a near recluse"

this is interesting tidbit
Katherine Harris was portrayed by actress Laura Dern in the 2008 film Recount, which won Dern a Golden Globe for the role
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2018, 01:46:59 pm »
Will Gillium be out of luck if its shown he won...since he already conceded

What is the precedent if someone concedes and then is shown to be the victor?

concessions don't mean a damn thing.  winner is determined by the vote count, regardless of any concessions (or lack thereof - doesn't matter if the loser doesn't concede, the winner is still the winner).
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2018, 01:57:14 pm »
Seeing Scott lose would make me very happy but I am skeptical they will find that many votes for Nelson

Not sure why so many democrats seem to be so stupid in conceding

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2018, 01:58:30 pm »
Will Gillium be out of luck if its shown he won...since he already conceded

What is the precedent if someone concedes and then is shown to be the victor?

concessions don't mean a damn thing.  winner is determined by the vote count, regardless of any concessions (or lack thereof - doesn't matter if the loser doesn't concede, the winner is still the winner).
GOOD
just read this too"A concession carries no legal weight. It is merely a tradition. The news media overplays the legal significance of a concession, which means nothing. "

fun fact
The first "concession telegram" occurred when William Jennings Bryan sent William McKinley two days after the 1896 US presidential election.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:00:28 pm by Sidehatch ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı »
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2018, 03:29:23 pm »

fun fact
The first "concession telegram" occurred when William Jennings Bryan sent William McKinley two days after the 1896 US presidential election.

Oooh that IS fun!

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2018, 07:51:54 am »
SINEMA!
slack

evilizac

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2018, 11:30:45 am »
If we're happy about Sinema, should we not also be happy for Manchin ?
He's often portrayed as a stain on the Democratic party, ~ 60% voting in line with Trump platforms, same as Sinema.
Make no mistake, I'm happy he held on and that Sinema pulled off AZ, but one can't be the dawn of a new age while the other is conveyed as a disgrace to his party affiliation.
WHAT?

Space Freely

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2018, 11:37:16 am »
He's often portrayed as a stain on the Democratic party, ~ 60% voting in line with Trump platforms, same as Sinema.
Make no mistake, I'm happy he held on and that Sinema pulled off AZ, but one can't be the dawn of a new age while the other is conveyed as a disgrace to his party affiliation.

For me it depends on what Trump platforms he's aligned with. I doubt I'm 0% aligned with Trump myself, but 60% seems pretty damn high.

« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2018, 11:44:58 am »
So I don't love Manchin that much, but he's much better than Morrisey (BOTH of them) and so glad Blankenship didn't even get a chance
but its WV...at least he is on the Dems side for Net Neutrality, Sanctions on Russia, the 1 % tax breaks and healthcare

Joe Manchin III and Tim Kaine are from the same party and have agreed on 77 percent of votes in the 115th Congress (2017-18).

Same with Sinema...it's AZ, pretty much always R...so you would think the D has to play to that same audience
but not 100% blue..but seems to mostly be in line with the dems
Kyrsten Sinema and Nancy Pelosi are from the same party and have agreed on 76 percent of votes in the 115th Congress (2017-18).
slack

hutch

« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2018, 11:46:09 am »
Why? We thought Manchin would win whereas Sinema was more of a reach

Manchin voted to confirm Kavanaugh..,

« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2018, 11:47:52 am »

For me it depends on what Trump platforms he's aligned with. I doubt I'm 0% aligned with Trump myself, but 60% seems pretty damn high.
Yeah...it's hard to use stats sometimes ....as so many votes are useless and sometimes they vote differently since it has no chance of passing

this site is interesting comparisons of votes to policies

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/joe-manchin-iii/

Pro publica alows you to compare voting records of two people..to see where they line up
https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/M001183-joe-manchin-iii/compare-votes/K000384-tim-kaine/115
slack

« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2018, 11:49:34 am »
Manchin voted to confirm Kavanaugh..,
he kinda had to for the WV vote...but not sure he would have done it if it was a tie breaker?   but a stain no less...he's with us with more than he's against us and in this environment we need more of those than hardliners
slack

hutch

« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2018, 11:56:34 am »
Fine but no I will not celebrate Manchin winning...I will take it

hutch

« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2018, 11:57:43 am »
It’s not just about voting record...Manchin is a bit of a sleaze