Author Topic: The "We Should Have a Midterms 2018 Discussion Thread" Thread  (Read 31580 times)

Space Freely

Re: The "We Should Have a Midterms 2018 Discussion Thread" Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2018, 05:14:55 pm »
Is the term "messianic government" a right wing talking point?

My wife was trading texts with her Trump-voting mom, and her mom said she is sick of "messianic government."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2018, 05:46:25 pm »
i've haven't heard of "messianic government" previously, but methinks that the like of Pence and Co. would describe their administration as "messianic", no? 

is you MiL using it as an insult or a compliment? 
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2018, 05:53:28 pm »
i've haven't heard of "messianic government" previously, but methinks that the like of Pence and Co. would describe their administration as "messianic", no? 

is you MiL using it as an insult or a compliment?

She was sort of using it to distance herself from Trump, but lumped "the idyllic Obama" in as part of the "messianic government as well."

This is another reason why we need a young President. Most old people are batshit crazy.

evilizac

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2018, 10:27:09 am »
I get the concept though, I think it's akin to cult of personality. . .
How many people were jazzed that Obama won re-election all while the Ds bled state, senate and congressional seats? I know that at the time I viewed that as the bigger win. I could see the way they used Obama's lack of executive experience vs. personality as reasons against his candidacy in the 2008 might be analogous.
 I also do recall Trump running asserting that only he could fix our governments ills i.e. drain the swamp, protect our borders, get jobs back from (_____). 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:30:28 am by evilizac »
WHAT?

Space Freely

« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2018, 10:41:03 am »
I get the concept though, I think it's akin to cult of personality. . .
How many people were jazzed that Obama won re-election all while the Ds bled state, senate and congressional seats? I know that at the time I viewed that as the bigger win. I could see the way they used Obama's lack of executive experience vs. personality as reasons against his candidacy in the 2008 might be analogous.
 I also do recall Trump running asserting that only he could fix our governments ills i.e. drain the swamp, protect our borders, get jobs back from (_____).

Thanks. Interesting take. If we drink enough Xmas wine, perhaps I'll ask her what she meant. If your read is correct, I guess she won't care much for Beto.

« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2018, 09:59:05 am »
I was playing the 'what is the difference' between who the two parties elected in 2018 and I just can't put my finger on it?

Ok..the Dems don't have any one with an Eye Patch
slack

hutch

« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2018, 10:32:12 am »
Yeah but we got Jesus!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2018, 10:59:08 am »
Be careful, you're about to go full Pete Davidson.
LVMH

« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2018, 11:27:12 am »
Be careful, you're about to go full Pete Davidson.
you are correct...I forgot about that and just read this
Crenshaw won his race against Democrat Todd Litton. During his acceptance speech, Crenshaw credited Davidson's joke for giving him a boost in popularity. 
But I didn't mock him, I mocked the Dem's for not being more diverse to represent the uni-oclular

probaly a good time to quote scripture
Luke 11:34: "If therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness."
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2018, 01:26:53 pm »
"The proportion of white men within the Democratic caucus is set to drop from 41% to 38% next year, while the same percentage is set to rise among Republicans from 86% to 90%." (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/14/congress-diversity-democrats-republicans-photo)

according to 2010 census, white men are approximately 35-36% of the overall population... so the Dems actually reflect the makeup  of the US.
<sig>

« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2018, 03:07:59 pm »
this is what I had hoped would happen...the largest Mid-term turnout in my lifetime

2018 wave was indisputably unlike any other in recent midterm history: It came with exceptionally high turnout. Turnout is currently estimated at 116 million voters, or 49.4 percent of the voting-eligible population. That’s an astounding number; only 83 million people voted in 2014, by contrast.

I'm really hoping https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/ has some wins before 2020...
The National Popular Vote interstate compact would guarantee the Presidency to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
of course TX, FL, IA and OH aren't even considering this...but we can always hope

I am a little nervous that Trump and Newt supports this
http://archive.nationalpopularvote.com/pages/misc/gingrich_20140819.php
https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/president-trump-reaffirms-his-long-standing-opposition-electoral-college-and-favors-nationwide-vote
slack

« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2019, 03:21:01 pm »

I'm really hoping https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/ has some wins before 2020...
The National Popular Vote interstate compact would guarantee the Presidency to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
of course TX, FL, IA and OH aren't even considering this...but we can always hope
Good news people....only 89 more electoral college votes to go to make this a reality

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) will sign a measure to award his state’s electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote,

Colorado will become the 12th state to join the national popular vote interstate compact. Those 12 states and the District of Columbia, which has also passed a popular-vote bill, account for 181 electoral votes, just under 90 shy of the 270 votes a presidential candidate needs to win the White House.

The compact will not go into effect until the coalition includes states that add up to 270 electoral votes or more. Once it does go into effect, states that are part of the coalition would award their electoral votes en masse to the candidate who wins the national popular vote.

man, if we could just get FL and NH...this could be a reality
I really think democratic $$$ should be targeting this in key states to get this passed before 2020
slack

vansmack

« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2019, 06:33:54 pm »
Why do I get the feeling this sounds good now, but the first time it is used it's going to fuck me over?
27>34

« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2019, 07:26:36 am »
^ in the category of ' be careful what you wish for'

That Trump and newt are supportive has me concerned.... but I think it is lip service as they don't really want popular vote, it just sounds good
slack

gavroche

« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2019, 10:40:17 am »
^ in the category of ' be careful what you wish for'

That Trump and newt are supportive has me concerned.... but I think it is lip service as they don't really want popular vote, it just sounds good

Absent some sort of ballot stuffing strategy, the Republicans definitely do NOT want this.  Not only does it make it very difficult for them to win the Presidency, but it will hurt them down the ballot as well because it incentivizes everyone to turn out and vote.