Author Topic: New Orleans  (Read 6585 times)

K8teebug

New Orleans
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:48:33 am »
Anyone have any suggestions for music in New Orleans? I'll be there in June. Got a ticket for Caroline Rose at Gasa Gasa and definitely want to go to Tipitinas. Will have 3 nights with no kids and then 3 nights with an 8 year old (obviously not my kid).

Pretty set on food, but if you have a favorite place, please feel free to comment.

Thanks!

Re: New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 11:07:38 am »
Please watch this documentary on where and what to eat by Homer Simpson

it is a shame that Donna's closed...awesome place to catch some great Brass without all the pretension

Heard good things about Chickie Wah Wah and Bullets (though been to neither)
Preservation Hall is a good bet
Thursday is zydeco night at Rock ‘n’ Bowl
slack

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 01:06:49 pm »
Just go to Frenchmen Street in the French Quarter at night for best music options and best vibe imo.  I'm heading down to NO for French Quarter Festival in April.  Always a great time.

Anyone have any suggestions for music in New Orleans? I'll be there in June. Got a ticket for Caroline Rose at Gasa Gasa and definitely want to go to Tipitinas. Will have 3 nights with no kids and then 3 nights with an 8 year old (obviously not my kid).

Pretty set on food, but if you have a favorite place, please feel free to comment.

Thanks!

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:50:19 pm »
Just go to Frenchmen Street in the French Quarter at night for best music options and best vibe imo.  I'm heading down to NO for French Quarter Festival in April.  Always a great time.

Thanks!

I concur. Only visited once but Frenchmen Street was a hella good time.

lily1

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 12:28:40 am »
I've been many many times and would recommend the following:

Hot 8 brass band in the Warehouse district on Sundays
Saturn bar on Mondays for a great rockabilly band and super friendly dancing
Rebirth brass band on Tuesdays uptown
Walter Wolfman Washington on Wednesdays on DBA and then go down a few doors to Blue Nile for this great brass band
Soul Rebels on Thursdays uptown
Zydeco at Rock n Bowl on Thursdays (but they have music most nights too but I dance zydeco so that's when I'm there as my Cajun 2 step is pretty crap these days)
Brassaholics on Fridays (but they sometimes change it up and play other nights)
Kermit Ruffins on Saturdays at Blue Nile but he's also at his own bar on Mondays

Frenchmen is fun but can get touristy despite the awesome music. One of the many members of the Neville clan are always playing somewhere so look for them too. Chickie Wah Wah's is up Canal street and often has Jon Cleary playing. The Pinettes are an all female brass band that often plays in Central City.

And there tends to be some sort of festival on a regular basis. Even the small ones are great-awesome food, chill folk, no pretense and great music.

Check the couple of free weeklies for write ups and schedules. There's always a gem, or a dozen, to be discovered. I was introduced to Walter Wolfman Washington courtesy of the friend of the guy sitting next to me at a fundraiser up on Magazine street and me lamenting all the options available that Wednesday evening.

I stay away from the French Quarter entirely except to sometimes see what new exhibits the HNOC has or when they do private house tours.

I've heard that during the day on the weekends some of the places are open on Frenchmen street are open and families will come and just hang out listening to the music. But I've never been there before 10pm and cannot confirm.

Also, I've done all these places as a solo woman and been fine. Just don't be a dumb ass and use common sense.

K8teebug

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 08:39:10 am »
I've been many many times and would recommend the following:

Hot 8 brass band in the Warehouse district on Sundays
Saturn bar on Mondays for a great rockabilly band and super friendly dancing
Rebirth brass band on Tuesdays uptown
Walter Wolfman Washington on Wednesdays on DBA and then go down a few doors to Blue Nile for this great brass band
Soul Rebels on Thursdays uptown
Zydeco at Rock n Bowl on Thursdays (but they have music most nights too but I dance zydeco so that's when I'm there as my Cajun 2 step is pretty crap these days)
Brassaholics on Fridays (but they sometimes change it up and play other nights)
Kermit Ruffins on Saturdays at Blue Nile but he's also at his own bar on Mondays

Frenchmen is fun but can get touristy despite the awesome music. One of the many members of the Neville clan are always playing somewhere so look for them too. Chickie Wah Wah's is up Canal street and often has Jon Cleary playing. The Pinettes are an all female brass band that often plays in Central City.

And there tends to be some sort of festival on a regular basis. Even the small ones are great-awesome food, chill folk, no pretense and great music.

Check the couple of free weeklies for write ups and schedules. There's always a gem, or a dozen, to be discovered. I was introduced to Walter Wolfman Washington courtesy of the friend of the guy sitting next to me at a fundraiser up on Magazine street and me lamenting all the options available that Wednesday evening.

I stay away from the French Quarter entirely except to sometimes see what new exhibits the HNOC has or when they do private house tours.

I've heard that during the day on the weekends some of the places are open on Frenchmen street are open and families will come and just hang out listening to the music. But I've never been there before 10pm and cannot confirm.

Also, I've done all these places as a solo woman and been fine. Just don't be a dumb ass and use common sense.

Thanks so much! I have no intention of being a dumb ass!

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 09:23:40 am »
I have no intention of being a dumb ass!
words to live by!
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 10:12:16 am »
The one and only time I went to New Orleans was when I was in my 20's. I went with my parents, who didn't drink, weren't foodies, weren't into live music, and weren't the type to stray from the well defined tourist line.

All of your posts, especially Lily's, are making me want to go back and do it right!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 10:25:40 am »
I'm just utterly disgusted at all of you for neglecting to mention the #1 thing you should do in New Orleans -- find that bar in Treme that Seth works at and spend your trip sipping cocktails in the most acoustically gifted drinking establishment in the American South. Just thinking about the cacophony of glasses clinking together at any other bar makes my ears bleed and my throat close up.
LVMH

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 10:47:46 am »
went to New Orleans ...with my parents, who didn't drink, weren't foodies, weren't into live music, and weren't the type to stray from the well defined tourist line.
Jez, why go to NOLA at all...for the weather?!
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 12:17:53 pm »
I already have my fave bars and restaurants :)

Space Freely

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 12:27:23 pm »
went to New Orleans ...with my parents, who didn't drink, weren't foodies, weren't into live music, and weren't the type to stray from the well defined tourist line.
Jez, why go to NOLA at all...for the weather?!

They lived in Alabama and offered to take me to NO. If I had to go to Alabama, might as well get something worthwhile out of the trip. Also, I was poor and they were paying. Ended up being the last family trip I ever went on with my parents.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 02:30:53 pm »
Do: all of the things the others have recommended (except the Treme thing)
Don't: get so drunk that you pass out in a restroom in the Superdome during a college football bowl game.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 02:38:12 pm »
Don't: get so drunk that you pass out in a restroom in the Superdome during a college football bowl game.
^knows from experience ;)

at least do it in a “Family restroom”
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 02:49:08 pm »
Look, stop doxing me and leave my actions at the 2012 Sugar Bowl out of this or I’ll reveal to everyone that you have parents. Parents who love you. Two can play this game!
LVMH