Author Topic: Maybe we should just impeach Trump  (Read 67674 times)

Space Freely

Re: Maybe we should just impeach Trump
« Reply #330 on: January 08, 2021, 05:41:12 pm »
But you need two thirds of senate to remove or 16 Republicans

aside: they would need to pick off 17 GOP senators. Dems have 50 but Kamila only gets to vote in the case of a 50-50 tie.  as soon as the vote becomes 51-49 (without her vote), she has to sit on the sidelines.  so 2/3 = 67, AKA 50 + 17.

Math, smath. Trump got 74.2 million votes and he rounds it to 75 million. Can't we round 66.666666666..... to 66?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #331 on: January 08, 2021, 05:44:59 pm »
Can we go back to talking about my “how do we get Murkowski to list as an Independent and caucus with the Dems” thing?
LVMH

« Reply #332 on: January 08, 2021, 05:48:20 pm »
Math, smath. Trump got 74.2 million votes and he rounds it to 75 million. Can't we round 66.666666666..... to 66?
Funny every time I see someone post on Twitter that he got 75 mil...I'm like MAGA's suck at math as he only got 74.2
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #333 on: January 08, 2021, 05:58:38 pm »
One of the best proposals I saw today was passing a bill requiring presidential candidates to release their tax returns, which could dissuade he who needs to pardon himself from attempting to run again
T.Rex

« Reply #334 on: January 08, 2021, 06:09:41 pm »
Can we go back to talking about my “how do we get Murkowski to list as an Independent and caucus with the Dems” thing?
so this is trending
Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski calls on President Trump to resign and questions her future as a Republican.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #335 on: January 08, 2021, 07:23:37 pm »
There could be some that could see this an opportunity to take the party back from Trump's influence and could see a non-Trump aligned candidate for President as being a strong position (not saying I agree with this, but it is a conceivable strategy).     

some may indeed adopt this strategy, but that "some" doesn't include the likes of Cruz.  he and his ilk have no original political thought, expediency and convenience is the best they can come up with.  why innovate when you can take over daddy's spot as soon as he's gone?

i completely agree that cruz et al. pinning their hopes on the MAGA base isn't going to work, at least not nearly as well as they hope it will.  trumpism is above all else a cult of personality.  cruz is at a serious disadvantage, given that he doesn't have a personality ("annoying" and "lecherous" don't count towards one).
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #337 on: January 08, 2021, 07:54:51 pm »
But you need two thirds of senate to remove or 16 Republicans

aside: they would need to pick off 17 GOP senators. Dems have 50 but Kamila only gets to vote in the case of a 50-50 tie.  as soon as the vote becomes 51-49 (without her vote), she has to sit on the sidelines.  so 2/3 = 67, AKA 50 + 17.

It's Kamala Harris, not Kamila Harris. Kamala Harris, like the Ugandan Giant.

https://www.katc.com/news/national-news/james-harris-pro-wrestler-known-as-kamala-the-ugandan-giant-dies

vansmack

« Reply #338 on: January 08, 2021, 08:06:33 pm »
some may indeed adopt this strategy, but that "some" doesn't include the likes of Cruz.

I was clearly not including any Senator who was in favor of holding up the Electoral College approval process in my possible 17 Senators who would consider voting to impeach him.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #340 on: January 08, 2021, 10:14:07 pm »
three other good reasons...
1) loses his 200k+ pension for the rest of his life (which he would continue to donate...HA!)
2) loses his 1 million dollars/year travel allowance
3) loses lifetime full secret service detail

Would he get a presidential library?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 10:42:48 pm by Sidehinged-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #341 on: January 08, 2021, 10:51:39 pm »
seems like mitch is on board?
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/533461-mcconnell-circulates-procedures-for-second-senate-impeachment-trial-of-trump
not sure he'll be one of the 17, but maybe we'll get questions this time
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #342 on: January 09, 2021, 03:57:17 am »
one reason the impeachment might not happen: it would be a YUGE distraction just as Biden is kicking off his presidency.  he's talked a lot about how much he & congress need to get done on day 1, but impeachment would suck all the air out of the room.  it would delay the confirmation of Biden's cabinet picks, delaying every agency's work.

and predictably, trump supporters are going to cry foul at the speed of this impeachment.  "it was rigged from the start, he never had a chance to defend himself!!!111".
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

Space Freely

« Reply #344 on: January 09, 2021, 08:41:34 am »
one reason the impeachment might not happen: it would be a YUGE distraction just as Biden is kicking off his presidency.  he's talked a lot about how much he & congress need to get done on day 1, but impeachment would suck all the air out of the room.  it would delay the confirmation of Biden's cabinet picks, delaying every agency's work.

and predictably, trump supporters are going to cry foul at the speed of this impeachment.  "it was rigged from the start, he never had a chance to defend himself!!!111".

How much time would they need to go over arguments? It like he shot someone in the light of day on Fifth Avenue.