Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 394959 times)

Space Freely

Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #4215 on: October 06, 2023, 11:45:06 am »
My point was that it's pretty fucked up for an employer to force employees to make specific choices regarding their health, at the risk of losing one's job.

Do you disagree with that?

When I was a kid, I remember trusting my pediatrician when he told me that I was required to be vaccinated against certain things to go back to school, and those were rules far above his or my head. And papers were necessary and needed to be given to the school nurse in order to be given the OK. The same applies when you're an adult. Responsibility doesn't change when you have to consider the wellbeing of others in your species. The difference now vs. being a kid is that if you don't like it, you can quit and get a new job. Probably in a state where life expectancies are starting to crater, lowering the overall life expectancy of the country. But hell, it's America. You can do whatever you want.

Also, you must be quite a bit younger than me if you were required to be vaccinated in order to attend school. The year I was born (1967) was the first year the MMR was administered, and the vaccination rate was 60%. Nobody was required to get vaccinated for school attendance until years later (by 1980, all states required it). So there were no immediate vaccination requirements, and only 60% of the people got it when it initially came out.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/g/coverage.pdf

Feel free to question anything I said. My knowledge is only as good as Google.

So I'm pretty sure that vaccination for those things were'n

« Reply #4216 on: October 06, 2023, 12:50:55 pm »
My point was that it's pretty fucked up for an employer to force employees to make specific choices regarding their health, at the risk of losing one's job.

Do you disagree with that?

When I was a kid, I remember trusting my pediatrician when he told me that I was required to be vaccinated against certain things to go back to school, and those were rules far above his or my head. And papers were necessary and needed to be given to the school nurse in order to be given the OK. The same applies when you're an adult. Responsibility doesn't change when you have to consider the wellbeing of others in your species. The difference now vs. being a kid is that if you don't like it, you can quit and get a new job. Probably in a state where life expectancies are starting to crater, lowering the overall life expectancy of the country. But hell, it's America. You can do whatever you want.

Would you be ok with an employer requiring any employee who engages in anal sex to be on PREP before engaging in anal sex, at the risk of losing their job? After all, it is the responsible thing to do.
Hmm, well, do you work in the sex industry? Then I would say yes
I've yet to hear of an STI that is communicable via anything other than sex (or some sort of body fluid exchange)
not the case with COVID-19.  So employers were protecting their staff and clients ...would be my take.
I won't deny there was a lot of promise that it would be perfect, when infact it didn't stop you from getting or spreading...but did dramatic increase the likelihood you wouldn't go on a vent and die

can you show me on the doll where the vax hurt you

clearly, space gets a major boner getting people to respond to his silly and contradictory statements
and yet we act like he is a rational person and might be like "Why, that was a stupid statement, I just meant to say I'm selfish and also somewhat of a major dick who likes to stir it up a bit here because I'm bored"
but we all know that's not going to happen
slack

« Reply #4217 on: October 06, 2023, 12:55:13 pm »
and not, I don't know, the systematic throwing-of-people-to-the-wolves that our entire political system engaged in.  If I had to guess, that might have caused a lot more death and misery than whether Space got vaccinated or not WHICH HE DID.

It's like being mad that someone uses plastic bags at the grocery store
so is NKOTB trying to say that both the dems and rebups systematically threw 100's of thousands of people 'to the wolves'
I mean, how many fat Americans can the wolf population eat

And were people being rewarded for throwing (jez you think they'd just use machines at this point)

When I was a kid, I remember trusting my pediatrician when
The only thing I remember is I was told I could get a toy out of the treasure box and would get a cool spidey Bandaid
odd you remember talking with your pediatrician when you were a child about any medical decisions, pretty sure those conversations were exclusively with the parent
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 12:59:01 pm by hanky/lanky-Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #4218 on: October 06, 2023, 12:58:45 pm »
I'm not arguing that the vax has hurt me. I chose to get it, so I accepted any risk. I'm arguing that employers shouldn't have the power to force employees to make that choice.

Who was my employer protecting by requiring it's employees to be vaccinated? We haven't been in the office since March 2020.

And now there is no longer a requirement.

And for the record, I had this resentment long before expressing it here today. I don't just make up things on the spot with the goal of trolling a few geezers on the internet.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 01:02:47 pm by Space Freely »

« Reply #4219 on: October 06, 2023, 01:01:53 pm »
I'm not arguing that the vax has hurt me. I chose to get it, so I accepted any risk. I'm arguing that employers shouldn't have the power to force employees to make that choice.

Who was my employer protecting by requiring it's employees to be vaccinated? We haven't been in the office since March 2020.

They want to be able to say "All our staff is vaccinated" and like greenwashing, companies were trying to fall in line for their PR campaign
also the insurance provider may have said, we want to raise your rates if you don't mandate it...and you know what an employer will do in that situation

So if your employer forced you to have a drug test, would you react the same way?
what if they said they were going to do a background check?

These would be WAY bigger privacy concerns for me vs getting a jab
you don't HAVE TO work for that employer (who works with the Gov't...so you are already a part of the machine man)

Where in the constitution says an employer can't come up with some odd rule (that doesn't violate a law) for employment
I don' like it, but this is the USA and Corps rule
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 01:06:17 pm by hanky/lanky-Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #4220 on: October 06, 2023, 01:06:09 pm »

They want to be able to say "All our staff is vaccinated" and like greenwashing, companies were trying to fall in line for their PR campaign

So if your employer forced you to have a drug test, would you react the same way?

you don't HAVE TO work for that employer (who works with the Gov't...so you are already a part of the machine man)

I don't have a problem with a drug test or background test to get a job. I don't have a problem with a vaccine requirement to get a job. I have a problem with making up a rule that you have to be vaccinated to keep your job.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4221 on: October 06, 2023, 01:06:28 pm »
Why do you all engage in back and forth  with people who are not arguing in good faith? So many people are showing their ass here.
LVMH

« Reply #4222 on: October 06, 2023, 01:07:26 pm »

I don't have a problem with a drug test or background test to get a job. I don't have a problem with a vaccine requirement to get a job. I have a problem with making up a rule that you have to be vaccinated to keep your job.
well this is where we differ a lot
slack

« Reply #4223 on: October 06, 2023, 01:07:46 pm »
Why do you all engage in back and forth  with people who are not arguing in good faith? So many people are showing their ass here.
bordem
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #4224 on: October 06, 2023, 01:15:12 pm »

I think it's good to have respectful discussion with people you don't see eye to eye with on stuff. It's easy on the internet. It's good practice for Thanksgiving, when I get to have political discussions with my Trump voting 6'7" father in law.

nkotb

« Reply #4225 on: October 06, 2023, 01:37:14 pm »
I think it's pretty impossible to think they didn't.  For all of the talk about how bad Trump handled it, the worst, most lethal phase of the pandemic happened under Biden, and well into his presidency.  You can't blame that spike on Trump. 

Biden also oversaw the removal of all of the social safety net protections we were given from COVID, removed mask mandates, refused to fulfill promises on economic relief, games the system to keep infection / death rates seemingly lower, etc etc.

He's been just as anti-science and anti-fact as Trump was...the major difference is that most of us (I would assume) think Biden is the good guy and Trump the bad, so his actions were good where Trump's were bad. And Biden gets to say "believe in science" or whatever, so he looks reasonable compared to "inject bleach into your veins" lol while doing the opposite, and liberals just eat it up. 

so is NKOTB trying to say that both the dems and rebups systematically threw 100's of thousands of people 'to the wolves'

bearman🐻

« Reply #4226 on: October 06, 2023, 03:19:16 pm »

I think it's good to have respectful discussion with people you don't see eye to eye with on stuff. It's easy on the internet. It's good practice for Thanksgiving, when I get to have political discussions with my Trump voting 6'7" father in law.

Hope you'll bring up PrEP and unprotected sex with him too. That'll go over really great.

« Reply #4227 on: January 05, 2024, 01:06:14 pm »
“What do you have to lose? Take it,” Trump said during one of the White House coronavirus briefings.

Nearly 17,000 people may have died from hydroxychloroquine: study

slack

Hutch

« Reply #4228 on: January 05, 2024, 04:25:51 pm »
These stories just overwhelm me…how can I process that?