Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 386410 times)

Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #570 on: March 27, 2020, 10:02:20 am »
Michael Rubin@MichaelGRubin
Woke up in the middle of the night last week with idea of converting our @Fanatics factory in PA that makes official @MLB jerseys into a facility that makes much needed masks and gowns and then donating  them to help fight this horrendous virus.This past weekend PA Governor @GovernorTomWolf  and Attorney General @PAAttorneyGen  each called me saying they desperately needed help getting masks and gowns to the frontline workers across PA.

Fast forward to today – @Fanatics  and @MLB  have halted production of all MLB jerseys and instead using that same fabric we make the jerseys with to make masks and gowns!! We have approx 100 associates working (extra distanced and in a very clean and safe environment of course)and plan to make one million masks and gowns then immediately donate and distribute them to hospitals and emergency management personnel across PA with the goal of extending this to NJ and NY – the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak in the US!!

The pinstripes are a nice touch
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #571 on: March 27, 2020, 01:19:16 pm »
So did anyone figure out what Germany is doing right? Over 40,000 cases with 250 deaths

Is it possible there are multiple strains with very different fatality rates?

so the official explanation is that they started testing early and often, and tested everyone - not just people showing obvious signs of infection.  they also started social isolation earlier than other countries.  per this line of thinking, they were able to shield many of the most vulnerable from getting infected (per WaPo, NPR, etc.)

<insert conspiracy>i read somewhere that Germany is coding (listing) the cause of death differently than other countries.  in Italy, if someone has an underlying condition and dies due to a COVID complication, they are listed as a COVID death.  in Germany, that same death would be listed as caused by the underlying condition.  AKA, it's a reporting inconsistency problem.</conspiracy>
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #572 on: March 27, 2020, 01:35:04 pm »

<insert conspiracy>i read somewhere that Germany is coding (listing) the cause of death differently than other countries.  in Italy, if someone has an underlying condition and dies due to a COVID complication, they are listed as a COVID death.  in Germany, that same death would be listed as caused by the underlying condition.  AKA, it's a reporting inconsistency problem.</conspiracy>

The only place I've read that is here. I tried searching for a source but Google is being an asshole about it.
😐 🎶

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #573 on: March 27, 2020, 01:36:56 pm »
House passes bill to stimulate America.

« Reply #574 on: March 27, 2020, 01:39:45 pm »
House passes bill to stimulate America.
oh my, feeling it already
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

Space Freely

« Reply #576 on: March 27, 2020, 01:56:15 pm »
So did anyone figure out what Germany is doing right? Over 40,000 cases with 250 deaths

Is it possible there are multiple strains with very different fatality rates?

so the official explanation is that they started testing early and often, and tested everyone - not just people showing obvious signs of infection.  they also started social isolation earlier than other countries.  per this line of thinking, they were able to shield many of the most vulnerable from getting infected (per WaPo, NPR, etc.)

Lily posted that *conspiracy* here earlier this week. It actually makes a lot of sense to me. Certain as much sense as the official party line.

Yada

« Reply #577 on: March 27, 2020, 03:10:29 pm »
Here's a conundrum we're currently facing.

Tuition for our daughter's pre School is due 4/1 for a total of approximately $1,000.

Said school has been closed the past two weeks and plans to have "virtual" circle time starting next week to engage with children who are 3 years old three times a week.

We were obviously given the whole spiel about keeping the school afloat, paying teachers, blah blah.

However, my family's income is impacted, we're taking care of our children all day, etc .
I personally don't feel obligated to pay.

What does everyone think? I know at least one guy that will take my skde.

hutch

« Reply #578 on: March 27, 2020, 03:15:28 pm »
Absolutely not obligated to pay!

I would let it go

The only issue might be if they blackball you from enrolling in said school in future...if you care

Space Freely

« Reply #579 on: March 27, 2020, 03:18:25 pm »
Could the mortality rate be quite a bit lower than the initially stated 3%?

Meanwhile in Germany, anyone who shows flu-like symptoms and has in the past 14 days come into contact with a confirmed case, or traveled to a high-risk region, gets tested, according to official guidelines published by the health ministry. According to JHU, more than 41,519 people there have tested positive as of Thursday, with just 239 deaths.

And in South Korea, there is free and easy access to testing for anyone whom a doctor deems needs it, and authorities have been tracing the contacts of infected patients. As of Wednesday, the country had 9,241 cases and 131 deaths, according to JHU.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/health/number-of-cases-testing-data-intl/index.html

Yada

« Reply #580 on: March 27, 2020, 03:18:29 pm »
Absolutely not obligated to pay!

I would let it go

The only issue might be if they blackball you from enrolling in said school in future...if you care

Yeah... Have considered this and truthfully couldn't give a shit. My wife on the other hand.

hutch

« Reply #581 on: March 27, 2020, 03:24:57 pm »
Would one even want one’s  kid in a school when the school made a stink about one having to trim the family budget during a pandemic?

Space Freely

« Reply #582 on: March 27, 2020, 03:25:25 pm »
DTMFA Yada.

Space Freely

« Reply #583 on: March 27, 2020, 03:26:01 pm »
Would one even want one’s  kid in a school when the school made a stink about one having to trim the family budget during a pandemic?

This. Though I'm not sure that is what they are doing?

Yada

« Reply #584 on: March 27, 2020, 03:32:55 pm »

Well, it would be interesting to see if other schools are requesting this. Obviously, all schools are different and payment periods are different. This school happens to do it five times a year and had the unfortunate circumstance that it fell during these times where many schools you may have already paid for your kids... Will those schools give refunds, who knows?