Author Topic: The Home Improvement Thread  (Read 55292 times)

Space Freely

The Home Improvement Thread
« on: May 12, 2020, 12:49:19 pm »
First, let's establish one ground rule. Tim Allen can suck Trump's herpes encrusted dick.

Now, here's my first question.

I have a battery powered mower, and the battery is dead. I ordered a new one.

Now here is my problem. When taking everything apart to access the old battery, I need a star screwdriver. However, star screwdrivers come in different sizes. Is there any good way to measure so that I buy the right screwdriver, or am I stuck buying the whole six piece set? Will I encounter enough stars in my lifetime so that I won't end up being screwed by the full set purchase?

hutch

Re: The Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 12:59:14 pm »
I will have nothing to contribute to this thread

I actually been sitting here all day putting off going to assemble a trampoline we bought for my kids...

Space Freely

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 01:18:06 pm »
One of the few benefits of COVID19 is that we've delayed buying the two unassembled dressers we were going to get. There's nothing I hate more than putting together unassembled furniture.

A negative is that we were planning on joining the community pool, which of course now is not happening. So instead, there is now a demand for a backyard pool purchase, which will no doubt include some assembly and maintenance. Not to mention we only have one small flat space. I remember having a pool growing up. Lots of work for the dad without much actual use by the family.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 01:18:44 pm »
Now here is my problem. When taking everything apart to access the old battery, I need a star screwdriver. However, star screwdrivers come in different sizes. Is there any good way to measure so that I buy the right screwdriver, or am I stuck buying the whole six piece set? Will I encounter enough stars in my lifetime so that I won't end up being screwed by the full set purchase?
Ask your neighbor. The one whose lower-half of their face you never see.
LVMH

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 01:19:28 pm »
A negative is that we were planning on joining the community pool, which of course now is not happening. So instead, there is now a demand for a backyard pool purchase, which will no doubt include some assembly and maintenance. Not to mention we only have one small flat space. I remember having a pool growing up. Lots of work for the dad without much actual use by the family.
I mean, the pool company will dig it out and install it for you. This isn't Encino Man.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 01:27:11 pm »
I mean, the pool company will dig it out and install it for you. This isn't Encino Man.

I'm talking above ground pool. I don't live in Encino, man.

shemptiness

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 01:27:33 pm »

I think he's talking above-ground, Dundalk/Essex style.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 01:29:12 pm »
I'm talking above ground pool.
An above-ground pool? Someone find my fainting couch, I have the vapors.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 01:30:02 pm »

I think he's talking above-ground, Dundalk/Essex style.

You got it, hon. Though at different times we have both, growing up. And both were too much work for the dad.

Space Freely

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 01:31:08 pm »
I'm talking above ground pool.
An above-ground pool? Someone find my fainting couch, I have the vapors.

Let me go on record as saying that I am 100% opposed to the idea.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 01:39:46 pm »
star screwdrivers come in different sizes. Is there any good way to measure so that I buy the right screwdriver, or am I stuck buying the whole six piece set?

Space, when you say "star" screwdriver, do you mean a cross/Phillips or a 6-sided Torx?

i'm hoping it's the latter, since i would expect any household to have a few Phillips sitting around.  6-sided screws aren't particularly common so i wouldn't invest in a set of screwdrivers if you aren't the need-to-have-all-tools-at-my-immediate-disposal type of people.

assuming it's a six-sided star, i have two low-priced & high-effort options:
- drag your lawnmower to the hardware store, and test.  buy only the size you need.
- buy a set, use very gently, clean once you're done, and return.

medium-priced and low effort: $7 bit set.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 01:44:50 pm »
star screwdrivers come in different sizes. Is there any good way to measure so that I buy the right screwdriver, or am I stuck buying the whole six piece set?

Space, when you say "star" screwdriver, do you mean a cross/Phillips or a 6-sided Torx?

i'm hoping it's the latter, since i would expect any household to have a few Phillips sitting around.  6-sided screws aren't particularly common so i wouldn't invest in a set of screwdrivers if you aren't the need-to-have-all-tools-at-my-immediate-disposal type of people.

assuming it's a six-sided star, i have two low-priced & high-effort options:
- drag your lawnmower to the hardware store, and test.  buy only the size you need.
- buy a set, use very gently, clean once you're done, and return.

medium-priced and low effort: $7 bit set.

Haha, I like the way you think. Yes, that is the one, the 6 sided Torx.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 01:54:25 pm »
we have several home improvement projects underway:

- building a tree-house of the kids.  grandparents have completely over-engineered the damn thing.  it's going to be 2 levels, 8 and 14 feet off the ground.  walls, shingled roof, railings on the open sides with effing flower boxes... the inner child in me is in no way jealous that i didn't have such a nice tree-house as a kid.  not at all.

- we've completed a tent platform.  kids love camping so now we have a convenient, flat place to park our tent. we occasionally have more guests than we can accommodate inside so now we have overflow space, and during the pandemic we can have guests over and they can stay there without contaminating our house.  it's a nice addition.  also serves as a gathering space under the trees - looks like my brother-in-law's reduced-sized wedding will take place on it this summer.

- we're having the wood siding on the house cleaned and repainted by contractors, but lots of prep required before they can do their work: removing shelving that that's been attached, remove cabling, patch a spot or two, secure windows, etc.

- probably not this year but maybe next, we'll need to completely redo the porch/deck.  it wraps around 3 sides of the house so it'll be a major undertaking.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 02:28:44 pm »
One of the few benefits of COVID19 is that we've delayed buying the two unassembled dressers we were going to get. There's nothing I hate more than putting together unassembled furniture.

Can confirm. I have filled up the pool, but have not yet turned on the filter or the heater.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 02:38:47 pm »
Completed:
 - Waterproofing and floor replacement in the addition
 - Furnish teleworking space
 - Removal of decrepit outdoor gas lantern
 - De-thatching of front acreage
 - Complete edging of acreage
 - Springtime trim of hedges
 - Minor gravel project at the end of the driveway

Ongoing:
 - Pool startup (see above)
 - Culling of bamboo / brush on rear hill
 - Organize pantry

Planned / Scheduled:
 - Repair of gates (tomorrow)
 - Replace 5-panel bow window in front (next week)
 - Minor interior electrical repairs

I think that is all.