Author Topic: The Home Improvement Thread  (Read 55589 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2020, 03:20:49 pm »
I'm pretty sure my favorite story here is sweetcell telling Space to cheat a local business over $7 fucking dollars..

i was playing to Space's well-known reputation for being cheap.  note that only 1 of my 3 suggestions involved returning something. 2 outta 3 ain't bad.
<sig>

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2020, 04:28:44 pm »
sweets keeps lowering the bar, this covid is really getting to him
slack

Yada

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2020, 04:29:40 pm »
I'm pretty sure my favorite story here is sweetcell telling Space to cheat a local business over $7 fucking dollars..

I live in the burbs, not a million dollar condo in a select SF neighborhood. I'm pretty sure my only hardware store option is Home Depot, not a loveable mom and pop. Does that make Sweetcell's deviousness more palatable?

A million dollar condo in San Francisco? How insulting!

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2020, 04:38:34 pm »

I live in the burbs, not a million dollar condo in a select SF neighborhood. I'm pretty sure my only hardware store option is Home Depot, not a loveable mom and pop. Does that make Sweetcell's deviousness more palatable?

A million dollar condo in San Francisco? How insulting!
yeah I think that is eligible for public assistance
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2020, 03:09:01 pm »
Bad news, and i though this might be the case since the mower/battery is only three years old..I put the new battery in, charge it, and the mower still doesn't start up. So it's something other than the battery. So I have an extra $65 battery.

DIY fail. I had originally called the closest B&D service center, but they were in Manassas and there was going to be a 24 day wait. Maybe you can take it to a place that's not a recognized service center and they'll do it? Anybody know? I think i've only had work done on a mower once in my lifetime and don't remember the details.

Yada

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2020, 03:49:36 pm »
Bad news, and i though this might be the case since the mower/battery is only three years old..I put the new battery in, charge it, and the mower still doesn't start up. So it's something other than the battery. So I have an extra $65 battery.

DIY fail. I had originally called the closest B&D service center, but they were in Manassas and there was going to be a 24 day wait. Maybe you can take it to a place that's not a recognized service center and they'll do it? Anybody know? I think i've only had work done on a mower once in my lifetime and don't remember the details.

I'd just let the grass grow all summer.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2020, 03:54:53 pm »
Can’t you find a passing street urchin to care for all your lawn and chimney sweeping needs like the rest of us?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2020, 04:09:52 pm »
All of these lawnmower places want $50 nonrefundable for a diagnostic plus whatever it takes to fix it. It's almost like it would be easier to donate the old one and shell out $300 for a new one.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2020, 04:12:38 pm »
I replaced the string on my string trimmer. 4 minutes.
I cleared the weeds out of the garden. 45 minutes.
I took photos and video of a cool eastern black rat snake in a tree adjacent to the garden. 2 hrs.

Space Freely

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2020, 03:31:17 pm »
I have an old pre-USB non-Smart tv that we still use. The sleep feature seems to have somehow become engaged and the tv shuts off after 5-10 mins. Sometimes it comes back on, sometimes not. Or at least i think it's the sleep feature. I tried unplugging but it's still doing it. Should i trash it or is there a way to fix it?

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2020, 03:41:49 pm »
trash...there really is no way to fix something like that

Only thing to look for is a 'factory reset' button
I assume you've done some web searches with the model number/brand

Although, could be something else...like your kid

my cousin thought it was funny to do this to his dad
bought a universal remote and would go outside and change the channel/volume and watch his dad loose his shit
I never saw it happen, but he for some reason loves bringing up that story
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:43:49 pm by Potato Guard in VA-Hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2020, 04:15:57 pm »
I have an old pre-USB non-Smart tv that we still use. The sleep feature seems to have somehow become engaged and the tv shuts off after 5-10 mins. Sometimes it comes back on, sometimes not. Or at least i think it's the sleep feature. I tried unplugging but it's still doing it. Should i trash it or is there a way to fix it?

I mean, you can get a new 50 inch smart tv for under $300...

hutch

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2020, 04:22:54 pm »
But I can use those $300 for something I don’t already own.

No but seriously making things last is fun and if it still works... now if its not a solvable issue guess you got to upgrade

We recently went from a 32” to 55”...my aunt in law gave us a tv she wasn’t using...it feels great!

Space Freely

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2020, 04:36:46 pm »
The one that is breaking down is one that I found in my neighborhood with a "Free, It works" sign on it. Got a few years out of it,

We have a second Smart TV that we paid for.

And a third larger tv that we picked up for free earlier this year that I haven't hooked up yet.

Likely we'll trash #1 and replace with #3.

Now, if I could just find someone in the hood giving away a lawnmower.

Yada

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2020, 04:55:53 pm »

Which port do you stream VHS through?