Author Topic: Insurrection 2021  (Read 65687 times)

Starsky

Re: Insurrection 2021
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2021, 09:31:48 am »
I guess what amazes me is the argument made by many Democrats that we can’t pass things in the senate by a simple majority (end filibuster) because if we do that Republicans will follow suit. How anyone can believe Republicans won’t end the filibuster when it suits them is beyond me. I mean they are undermining democracy left and right and yet we must preserve what is an undemocratic relic?

I do understand why a few Democratic Senators are against doing so though.. but I kind of think it’s shortsighted

Democrats must do whatever they legally can to have a successful year or Republicans will win the midterms and impeach Joe Biden etc. They will just make something up or find something really insignificant and blow it up in order to weaken his reelection efforts.

I also wish Justice Breyer would hurry up and retire.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 09:33:39 am by Starsky »

WALKonBack

« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2021, 11:57:11 am »
When the Supreme Court outlaws Abortion in the summer of 2022 . . . any and all conservative religion backed republicans will never win again.  Abortion will become the movement of the Democrats suddenly and they will run on that forever, with voters coming out in droves for all democrats who now push to overturn to the new law. 

Democrats become the new republicans.   John Roberts, knew what he was doing pushing it until 2022.

« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2021, 12:07:14 pm »
yeah, I don't know if I see that Walkie

The supremes are definitely a risk on this one, but the question then becomes...do we turn Abortion into a Federal issue and take it away from the states? 
As I think that's what dems might want, but I don't see any way to get that passed without killing the filibuster

personally, the state control thing makes it so half of the US doesn't have the same 'rights' as the other half.  But I get the decentralized and let locals make decisions for themselves, but I do think some things the feds need to make rulings on

From what I've heard...the hardcore GOPers don't actually want to overturn Roe, because then they lose their wedge that gets that evangelical block out to vote.  If they 'fixed it' then they might not vote in the next election

slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2021, 03:34:05 pm »
How anyone can believe Republicans won’t end the filibuster when it suits them is beyond me.

because they haven't?  mitch, in all his years as leader of the senate, only killed the filibuster for supreme noms (harry reid had killed it for all other nominations except the supremes).  i'm sure he's wanted to kill it in the past, but hasn't fearing what the Dems would do once they assumed power... so same same...
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2021, 04:25:26 pm »
Things are different now in case you haven’t noticed?.. mark my words they will end it

They will say Democrats wanted to end it so why shouldn’t we?

And if Mitch doesn’t do it they will find someone else..hell if Trump is elected again in 2024 Mitch is done as majority leader

In any case it makes zero sense to need 60 votes.. nowhere in the constitution does it say it? There is no precedent for it anywhere..it’s an invention

« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2021, 04:58:14 pm »
..it’s an invention
to block civil rights legislation is my understanding

I will say that you can 'phone it in' is the lamest part of the GQP's reliance on this
I think that you have to man the floor and talk about why you are in opposition, it's insane that they took that part out
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #186 on: May 28, 2021, 05:28:53 pm »
..it’s an invention
to block civil rights legislation is my understanding

nah, the fillibuster existed, was used and had been changed well before then, but it did feature prominently during the civil rights era.  strom thurmond set the record for longest filibuster, over 24 hours, in opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1957.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2021, 09:27:50 am »
Show me a mention of the filibuster in the Federalist Papers please!

Serious question: is there anything like the filibuster in United Kingdom’s Parliament or any mention of the filibuster in Ancient Greece or the Roman Republic? Did Edward Hume write about it? What other democracies have adopted the filibuster?

Has the US Supreme Court ever ruled on its constitutionality? What US states use the filibuster?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 09:35:42 am by Starsky »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2021, 01:22:02 pm »
Have you tried Google?
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2021, 01:52:57 pm »
You got nothing!

Starsky

« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2021, 02:02:39 pm »
Anyways it was rhetorical

The answers are
No mention
No
No
No
No
No
0 (maybe)

« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2021, 02:23:05 pm »
Have you tried Google?
Ancient Rome
One of the first known practitioners of the filibuster was the Roman senator Cato the Younger. Cato would obstruct a measure by speaking continuously until nightfall. As the Roman Senate had a rule requiring all business to conclude by dusk, Cato's long-winded speeches could forestall a vote.

Cato attempted to use the filibuster at least twice to frustrate the political objectives of Julius Caesar. The first incident occurred during the summer of 60 BCE

Funny is that the cato institute name origins?
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2021, 02:40:07 pm »
Anyways it was rhetorical

The answers are
No mention
No
No
No
No