Author Topic: Official 930 Supreme Court thread  (Read 30986 times)

nkotb

Re: Official 930 Supreme Court thread
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2023, 12:30:33 pm »
Turns out, pretty easily!

How can a very wealthy society not attempt to redress this?

Space Freely

« Reply #181 on: June 29, 2023, 12:44:45 pm »
I hate selfishness…as a basis for what’s right and wrong

But I do think affirmative action in college admissions is dicey….I can’t and never have been able to stomach it much

There has to be a better way but of course many people who use their own personal interest as a basis for what’s right and wrong will oppose anything that benefits a group they are not part of…I can’t see people who oppose affirmative action supporting reparations! Or support devoting far more resources to school districts in poorer black areas than richer white areas…

Yet, a terrible wrong was (and in less dramatic fashion continues to be) done to a group of Americans. How can a very wealthy society not attempt to redress this?

How about the schools in poor white areas?

Hutch

« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2023, 12:49:02 pm »
No interest in debating with you cause I know your thinking…

The black experience being forcibly removed from their homes, enslaved, raped, separated from families, and endless horrors cannot be compared to that of white people. Not to mention hundreds of years of ongoing discrimination. It is not in the same universe of injustice. If you don’t see or recognize that I feel very sorry for you.

Space Freely

« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2023, 03:43:32 pm »
No interest in debating with you cause I know your thinking…

The black experience being forcibly removed from their homes, enslaved, raped, separated from families, and endless horrors cannot be compared to that of white people. Not to mention hundreds of years of ongoing discrimination. It is not in the same universe of injustice. If you don’t see or recognize that I feel very sorry for you.

Hundreds of years ago at this point. I know Black people who were raised in much greater comfort than either my wife or I. Should my kid get college preference because my grandfather was forced to drop out of school in the second grade to work in the cotton fields? I don't think so. But neither should the Black kid whose grampa was a doctor.

Seemingly most Democrats would agree with this decision. https://twitter.com/bungarsargon/status/1674420245371715586?t=9QEez4pM8QhYBDYIi0nLGQ&s=19
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 03:50:01 pm by Space Freely »

Hutch

« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2023, 03:56:00 pm »
Yawn

Yes Space it’s all about you, grandpa and your daughter.

Did you even read what I wrote?

1.  I said I am not really in favor of affirmative action in college admissions and never have been.

2. I said the horrors committed against black peoples is a whole different order of injustice.

Literally you apparently can’t read before regurgitating the boilerplate that makes you feel holier than thou.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 04:02:19 pm by Hutch »

Space Freely

« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2023, 05:27:28 pm »
My apologies for conflating you with certain (rich, white, liberal) Facebook friends who are losing their shit over this.

Yada

« Reply #186 on: June 29, 2023, 08:13:21 pm »
Nice to see Space enjoying his European vacation so much that he even has time to troll the nets from afar.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #187 on: June 29, 2023, 08:21:09 pm »
Maybe I’m a loon but I think both space and hutch are right. Space is saying affirmative action is imperfect and needs to be applied more broadly. That is correct. Hutch is saying affirmative action is essential. That is also correct.

Affirmative action — as it has been applied for decades — is an imperfect tool. It should include poor people of any race. It should include many other groups that don’t fit the narrow defined goal of diversity it includes. But being imperfect doesn’t mean we should throw it out; it needs iterated upon.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2023, 01:43:32 am »
Affirmative action — as it has been applied for decades — is an imperfect tool. It should include poor people of any race. It should include many other groups that don’t fit the narrow defined goal of diversity it includes. But being imperfect doesn’t mean we should throw it out; it needs iterated upon.

this, this, a thousand times this.

if affirmative action doesn't make sufficient provisions for {insert "new" disadvantaged group's name here}, then let's expand AA until they are included.  justice is in no way served - in fact it's harmed - by taking provisions away from [insert "currently recognized" disadvantaged group's name here]. what did that skinny dude say about an eye for an eye?...

(aside: americans have this really, really weird obsession with ensuring that disadvantaged groups "don't get too much"... all the while turning a blind eye to the rich taking waaaaaay more than their share in ever more novel ways.  a billionaire using government "loans" to enrich themselves? no problemo!  someone on welfare getting an extra $40 a month in food stamps?  OFF WITH THEIR HEADS.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 01:45:56 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

Hutch

« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2023, 08:45:13 am »
We are conflating different issues here…. I am talking about a historic wrong committed against black Americans that requires redress. America’s original sin.

I am not talking about all the problems and imperfections with America many of which I also would in an ideal world like to address.

The issue with affirmative action in college admissions is it’s generally too late and affects too few and is counterproductive. Invest in the education of black Americans early so that higher numbers get into college on their merits. AOC made a reasonable point about how this ruling won’t affect “legacy admissions.” They should be eliminated to free up slots for more to be admitted based on merit.

I am typing on my phone and it’s a pain…Does anyone else type their posts on their phone?

Yada

« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2023, 08:57:04 am »

I am typing on my phone and it’s a pain…Does anyone else type their posts on their phone?

Space from Lisbon while wearing readers.

Hutch

« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2023, 09:20:15 am »
Oh no

Hutch

« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2023, 01:21:01 pm »
student loan forgiveness struck down
Never had a chance

Space Freely

« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2023, 02:16:52 pm »
Some well said things in my absence.

Also, I don't have readers. Or those graduated glasses  I just pull down my glasses ab put the phone close to my face. Itsy not a good look. And typing on rhe phone sucks ass. Though i would imagine it's easier with a hutch's thin fingers than my fat ones.

Also, I am currently in the only location in Europe where thy grow pineapple. I haven't been to Ireland, but this place reminds me of what I think Ireland is like

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2023, 02:23:01 pm »
ireland is in fact well-known for its pineapples.
<sig>