Author Topic: 2022 - dems in disarray thread  (Read 134638 times)

Re: 2022 - dems in disarray thread
« Reply #495 on: August 20, 2024, 02:40:18 pm »
only caught some of this last night, thought Hillary was great
of course Raskin is always a crowd pleaser, I know there are probably reasons, but he should have been running for that MD Senate seat
Jasmine Crockett was great too, definitely made a name for herself earlier this year with her MTG insult, but think she has the chops to be a player in the DNC

Beshar went on, I was a little Meh, so IMO I think Walz was the better pick
should have looked at the schedule as I didn't realize joe was on last
also heard I should watch the AOC one too

also Watched it via MSNBC on my phone, no talking heads, just live stream
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 02:46:00 pm by Hatch, guerrilla-poserll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #496 on: August 20, 2024, 02:56:14 pm »
As the smart people point out…this one electoral vote plus PA, MI and Wi win the election
If that happens, it will be fascinating to see if Nebraska refuses to certify the election thereby throwing it to Trump.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #497 on: August 20, 2024, 03:10:07 pm »
One of the many segments they didn’t show live last night was MI State Senator Mallory McMorrow’s five minutes on Project 2025.  She went viral a couple years back for all the right reasons and going to be a superstar

https://youtu.be/ez4NmxqYiJM

Need to look up Jamie’s speech and totally agree on Beshar verses Walz
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #498 on: August 20, 2024, 03:12:21 pm »
of course Raskin is always a crowd pleaser, I know there are probably reasons, but he should have been running for that MD Senate seat

Hoyer's bound to retire in another term or two. Raskin would likely gain a lot of House power in Hoyer's wake.
😐 🎶

« Reply #499 on: August 20, 2024, 10:52:53 pm »
Michelle Obama could easily get the democratic nomination if she wanted it
slack

hutch

« Reply #500 on: August 21, 2024, 01:45:53 am »

That would be banana republic

« Reply #501 on: August 21, 2024, 08:53:09 am »

you are not wrong, thankfully she knows that too and it won’t happen
But she really knows how to get Dems to eat out of her hand
slack

gavroche

« Reply #502 on: August 21, 2024, 09:51:40 am »

Why is Michelle somehow worse than a Bush Jr. or a Clinton, or an Adams?

hutch

« Reply #503 on: August 21, 2024, 10:13:09 am »

I can’t tell if this is a real question? I hope not.

« Reply #504 on: August 21, 2024, 10:16:56 am »

Im going to take this question at face value and instead of assuming you’re trolling that you’re just ignorant. Let’s review:

W. Bush was the former governor of one of the largest states in the country.

H. Clinton had been a US Senator and Secretary of State.

Q. Adams had been a Senator, a congressman for close to two decades, and Secretary of State for 8.

None of them went from “never holding major office” to the Presidency merely off nepotism. If Michelle wants to run for a lower office with aspirations of being President someday (which she doesn’t) then great.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 10:21:39 am by Julian, White Poet WARLORD »
LVMH

Mobius

« Reply #505 on: August 21, 2024, 11:24:11 am »
Like Mrs. Obama today, Mr. Trump never held public office prior to running for president and ran based on ‘personality’

This is actually super interesting and something I don’t recall being raised when Trump was initially the candidate - the only other person ever to be president without either previously holding elected office OR being a General/War Hero was Herbert Hoover.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 11:39:30 am by Mobius »

gavroche

« Reply #506 on: August 21, 2024, 11:50:51 am »
Isn't the problem the nepotism? I don't see how it is a bigger threat to democracy if someone builds their entire career upon nepotism then it is if they use it to go straight to the Presidency.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 11:53:22 am by gavroche »

Mobius

« Reply #507 on: August 21, 2024, 11:57:33 am »
I would say she has transcended nepotism at this point and is a personality/celebrity/character in her own right, on a national level.  I think she is viewed and judged as ‘Michelle Obama’ not ‘Barack Obama’s wife’.

She could win a Senate race easily. Why go through the motions?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 12:03:04 pm by Mobius »

« Reply #508 on: August 21, 2024, 12:22:48 pm »
Like Mrs. Obama today, Mr. Trump never held public office prior to running for president and ran based on ‘personality’
And he was literally either the worst or 2nd worst President of all time. You're making my point.

Isn't the problem the nepotism? I don't see how it is a bigger threat to democracy if someone builds their entire career upon nepotism then it is if they use it to go straight to the Presidency.
There is a difference between "does this person have the relevant experience to do the job of President well" -- which your three examples did and Michelle Obama does not -- and asking esoterically if those three people should have ever been given the chance to acquire said experience. I am speaking to the first question.

I would say she has transcended nepotism at this point and is a personality/celebrity/character in her own right, on a national level.  I think she is viewed and judged as ‘Michelle Obama’ not ‘Barack Obama’s wife’.

Strong disagree with your first paragraph. As to why "go through the motions" -- uh, because the Presidency shouldn't be an entry-level position? Because having first hand experience at accomplishing things within government is helpful for the populace to see how you would do as an executive.

We don't give hotshot MBA grads F100 CEO seats because time spent learning and succeeding in D and V-level roles within company is inessential "going through the motions." Why would we do this for the most important job in the world?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 12:24:23 pm by Julian, White Poet WARLORD »
LVMH

gavroche

« Reply #509 on: August 21, 2024, 12:37:31 pm »
And he was literally either the worst or 2nd worst President of all time. You're making my point.

There is a difference between "does this person have the relevant experience to do the job of President well" -- which your three examples did and Michelle Obama does not -- and asking esoterically if those three people should have ever been given the chance to acquire said experience. I am speaking to the first question.

Strong disagree with your first paragraph. As to why "go through the motions" -- uh, because the Presidency shouldn't be an entry-level position? Because having first hand experience at accomplishing things within government is helpful for the populace to see how you would do as an executive.

We don't give hotshot MBA grads F100 CEO seats because time spent learning and succeeding in D and V-level roles within company is inessential "going through the motions." Why would we do this for the most important job in the world?

I'll conceed that she likely doesn't have the experience necessary to do the job well. I don't really know what experience prepares someone to do the job though. I think you can make a strong argument that a CEO like Rex Tillerman probably has developed more of the skills then a Senator actually has. Trump managed to convince people that just faking having those skills for decades made him qualified.  Of course, that's why lots of people believe Governors are better qualified that legislators like a Seantor.  I'm not pining for Michelle (or Oprah), or whoever. 

It was the notion that her winning would make the U.S. a "banana Republic" that I was trying to unpack. To my mind that is a step further than just, you know, she'd likely not be good at it.  The only argument I see for Michelle being especially problematic to democracy is the nepotism.  And obviously, we have a lot of political dynasties in our history.