Author Topic: City Winery goes under, blames crime  (Read 10043 times)

Space Freely

Re: City Winery goes under, blames crime
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2023, 09:20:12 am »
Well I agree those motels aren’t an automatic guarantee you will be stabbed  30 times and die….most of the time you will be ok.

My wife and I stayed in a three star hotel (Market Street, so-so neighborhood) with a reception desk and lobby entry) for several nights in San Francisco back in the early 2000's. We came back from a day of touristing to find hotel entry much stiffer and a security presence.

We watched the local news that evening, and apparently a guest in our hotel ( don't recall the details on the guest or the killer or the incident though I read about it later) had been stabbed to death.

Hutch

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2023, 09:24:35 am »
There are no guarantees in life. You play the odds and hope for some luck.

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2023, 09:41:08 am »
Well I agree .... you will be stabbed  30 times and die….most of the time you will be ok.
Rushdie came out ok, you people are a bunch of beta males
slack

Yada

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2023, 12:47:46 pm »
Absolutely horrific story and the social media comments I've seen have been disgusting placing blame on the victim..

Unfortunately,  unfamiliar people with the area see a affordable hotel close to the venue and just book it (not sure how but the reviews I guess were above average). I know I've stayed in some sketchy dumps over the years...

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2023, 02:38:46 pm »
Unfortunately,  unfamiliar people with the area see a affordable hotel close to the venue and just book it (not sure how but the reviews I guess were above average). I know I've stayed in some sketchy dumps over the years...
this was a horrible thing, no doubt about it, I couldn't imagine getting that news about someone I knew or was related to

but it was also VERY uncommon and random.  Yes you increase your chances by staying at a sketchy hotel
I would venture that your chance of dying driving (almost daily) on 495 VS. getting randomly stabbed to death in a sketchy hotel room
prove me wrong
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2023, 02:41:44 pm »
False equivalence.

If you drove on 495 daily to get to your permanent room in a sketchy hotel, I'd think that would be a more equal comparison.

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2023, 02:47:26 pm »
False equivalence.

If you drove on 495 daily to get to your permanent room in a sketchy hotel, that would be an equal comparison.
hmm...OK I will buy that

Ok leave out the daily, I said that mostly because people take risks that are deadly every day but don't really think about it
30k people a year die in car accidents, chances are pretty good you might  vs being stabbed 30 times by some random chance in a sketchy hotel room in all the US

there are not even 100 sketchy motel stabbings a year, every year  (I hope you don't prove me wrong on that one)
slack

Hutch

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2023, 03:09:46 pm »
I have driven by those hotels in Ivy for decades. Always crackheads and hoes around. It’s a risky area for an out of towner. I remember going to echo stage to see the Replacements. They stole my hubcaps in a parking lot!

Reminds me of gas stations around Dunn NC off of I95…..skeeeeetchy shit.

Poor woman.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 03:14:16 pm by Hutch »

Space Freely

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2023, 04:16:26 pm »
I was thinking this happened because she was going to a concert at City Winery, which would make sense that she would book a room in Ivy City.

But this happened the other day.

So she was going to a concert *elsewhere* in the city and chose to stay in Ivy City? Damn. I mean, there's cheap motels in better locations...

Yada

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2023, 07:25:46 pm »
I was thinking this happened because she was going to a concert at City Winery, which would make sense that she would book a room in Ivy City.

But this happened the other day.

So she was going to a concert *elsewhere* in the city and chose to stay in Ivy City? Damn. I mean, there's cheap motels in better locations...

Echostage.... which is .5 miles from Ivy City motel... can't imagine finding a better hotel anywhere in that area. Obviously this person didn't know that's a dump hell hole of a place to stay when visiting WDC.

Hutch

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2023, 09:08:06 am »
Thing is just found out she was a Yorktown (Arlington) graduate so not entirely a clueless out of towner.

Obviously the fault is the judge that released the killer and crazy killer’s and I hope he Burns at the stake.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 09:13:49 am by Hutch »

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2023, 12:07:50 pm »
Thing is just found out she was a Yorktown (Arlington) graduate so not entirely a clueless out of towner.

Obviously the fault is the judge that released the killer and crazy killer’s and I hope he Burns at the stake.
I don't know the details, but I read the previous crimes were armed robbery...so he is not a good guy, I get that

but not sure as a judge you would even suspect this same person would just one day ride his bike to the local dive motel to chop the first person who opened the door
I'd be more upset is if he did rape or kill someone brutally and then the judge was lenient
I think armed robbery is definitely in the bad person column, but not as bad as the rapey/stabby type who should be granted little clemency

but the recent grad from the area you would think would know that was sketchy
slack

Yada

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2023, 12:38:20 pm »
I agree he should die a slow painful death... happy Easter.

Same thing just happened in wheaton like two weeks ago.  A piece of shit that was in jail for years was out less than a few days and shot a woman in the face in broad daylight at the mall.

Edit: https://www-fox5dc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.fox5dc.com/news/dc-man-charged-with-multiple-carjackings-shooting-woman-in-the-face-outside-wheaton-mall.amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16809719076656&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fox5dc.com%2Fnews%2Fdc-man-charged-with-multiple-carjackings-shooting-woman-in-the-face-outside-wheaton-mall

Put a bullet in this man's head too

Hutch

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2023, 01:10:49 pm »

I don't know the details, but I read the previous crimes were armed robbery...so he is not a good guy, I get that

but not sure as a judge you would even suspect this same person would just one day ride his bike to the local dive motel to chop the first person who opened the door
I'd be more upset is if he did rape or kill someone brutally and then the judge was lenient
I think armed robbery is definitely in the bad person column, but not as bad as the rapey/stabby type who should be granted little clemency

but the recent grad from the area you would think would know that was sketchy

If he had just one robbery ok but come on dude had multiple stuff on his record, was homeless…and the judge basically overruled another judge

I really can’t believe anyone would defend his release after seeing what happened!

But this is the new model… let people out unless they did something really horrible…it’s a very complex issue but there are also racial elements to it…and of course there are also drugs which (or their absence) can contribute to people doing crazy things

Blaming the victim is not the way to go (I say that for me and anyone else).

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2023, 01:21:36 pm »
Blaming the victim is not the way to go (I say that for me and anyone else).
100% random person in random situation.  Wasn't like the hotel was known for stabbings
I mean ivy city has come a long way in the last decade, 30 years ago I got nervous if I was low on gas in that area
slack