Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1359020 times)

vansmack

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 06:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  Vansmack....thanks for the great reply. I'd prefer to watch the English and Spanish leagues so it looks like Setanta is the way to go. Besides, FSC means giving Rupert Murdoch more money.
No sweat.  For matches that are on FSC that you can't get on Setanta, I used to download those from the fbtz.com forum.  About 300-400 MB per half so they take a little while, but you can start watching the first half while downloading the second.

And I won't post any EPL spoilers for those of you that are watching the matches when you get home this evening, but it was great night!  I will tell you that Copenhagen eliminated Ajax from the Champions League today in a shocker!
27>34

Barcelona

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 11:11:00 pm »
I hope those interested in the games today will know already the scores. I was surprised to see Chelsea's final score. It might be too early, but a loss in the second game is strange given how superior they have been in the last couple of years, do you think that this year is not going to be so easy for Chelsea? If so, what other teams? Manchester United has started very strong, but again it is still too early, Arsenal, Liverpool, any other?

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »
Here we go again...

Champions League Draw

â?¢ The draw process took place in Monaco on Thursday August 24.

Group A

Barcelona
 Chelsea  
 Werder Bremen
 Levski Sofia

Group B

Inter
 Bayern Munich
 Sporting Lisbon
 Spartak Moscow  

Group C

Liverpool FC  
 PSV Eindhoven
 Bordeaux  
 Galatasaray

Group D

Valencia
 AS Roma  
 Olympiakos  
 Shakhtar Donetsk

Group E

Real Madrid  
 Lyon
 Steaua Bucuresti  
 Dynamo Kiev

Group F

Manchester United  
 Celtic
 Benfica
 FC Copenhagen

Group G

Arsenal
 FC Porto  
 CSKA Moscow  
 Hamburg  

Group H

AC Milan
 Lille  
 AEK Athens  
 Anderlecht
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »
i haven't decided who to support in the champion's league yet. stupid nonqualifying cork city
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 03:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  I hope those interested in the games today will know already the scores. I was surprised to see Chelsea's final score. It might be too early, but a loss in the second game is strange given how superior they have been in the last couple of years, do you think that this year is not going to be so easy for Chelsea? If so, what other teams? Manchester United has started very strong, but again it is still too early, Arsenal, Liverpool, any other?
Chelsea has not looked good in the three matches I've watched them play.  That's the problem with high turnover - assuming all the pieces will just fall into place overnight.  Sure, they will get better, but how long is it going to take?  If it takes too long, the ego problem will set in with guy on the bench and the team losing.  I think this is a bigger test than Mourhino thinks it is.

Arsenal will plod along, but like United with Keane, they miss their strong midfield presence in Patrick Viera.  I forgot how much he could control a game until I saw him again in the world cup.  Thierry Henry cannot do it all by himself.  

Liverpool on paper have few holes, but Peter Crouch is not creative enough to carry the team.  I really think Dirk Kuyt is the wild card here.  He's creative and can score goals in Holland, but can he score at this level?  Fowler and Bellamy, when not kiling each other, will wreak havoc on others, but they're past their prime.  Oddly, a lot of injuries early, which doesn't bode well for a long campaign.

New Castle, poor New Castle.  Just when they solve their problem up front, they lose him for the season.  Adding Martins is of small consolation.  A brilliant midfield (way too many options in my opinion), but a weak back four and a suspect front two make for a long season for New Castle fans.  Moments of brilliance, moments of despair all season.  Not enough to win the premiership for sure.

Tottenham are slowly discovering the value of Robbie Keane.  Without him 0-2 loss.  With him, 2-0 win.  It's not what he does inside the box, it's what he sets up outside the box that is his true value.  I would have sold Carrick for 18 Million pounds too, but they don't seem to have the proper replacement.  Plus they're Tottenham, which guarantees frustration all season.  Glad I only like Keane.

That leaves United.  Without Hargreaves, I think Fergie rotates the middlefield until he finds a combination that works.  Nobody can fill Roy Keane's roll, but that won't stop United from trying.  Fergie went through 11 keepers trying to replace Schmeichel before finding Van Der Saar.  That's just the way he is.  The back four, when healthy, will likely be as strong as ever - Heinze is undervalued in my opinion.  The real problem will be a strong, tough defensive midfielder and scoring goals when Rooney's out.  Saha has never played a full season, Smith is coming off an awful injury, and Rossi is unproven, to say the least.  Ole Gunnar Solskjær to the rescue?  I don't put it past him, but I'm not putting any money on it either.  Yes, 8-1 in the first two matches, but consider the competition.  I will say this - this team has been playing together for a few years now, and the first two games it has really shown.  That might be the difference between Chelsea and United this year.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 03:47:00 pm »
there were fleeting rumors of newcastle buying keene. just crazy internet shit, but i was pretty excited. was hoping to add a solid defender, or you know...4
o/\o

Barcelona

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 07:34:00 pm »
FC Barcelona Chelsea again, this time in the group stage. This game is becoming a classic in the Champions League, three years in a row now. With Werder Bremen also there, this is the toughest group. Hope we make it to the next round.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 08:45:00 am »
how much extra per month is fsc on comcast? i need to get my toon army fix.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 08:51:00 am »
$5 on my comcast (reston)

no magpies this weekend though  :(
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 12:59:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  no magpies this weekend though   :(  
Which is a shame, because now the Toon have a chance:

Rossi loaned to Newcastle until January

Manchester United have loaned Italian youngster Giuseppe Rossi to Newcastle.

The Magpies, stricken by injury to Michael Owen as well as the retirement of Alan Shearer, have borrowed the 19-year-old, who originally hails from New Jersey but has so far chosen to represent the country of his parents.

Newcastle have agreed terms with the Premiership leaders to take Rossi on loan until 1 January 2007.

The Italian striker will link up with the Magpies immediately and, according to Sir Alex Ferguson, will gain some invaluable first team experience.

'It was a big decision for us especially as we don't have the choice of strikers,' admitted the United boss.

'But this is something that Giuseppe wanted as he needs regular first team football.

'When he returns he will be a more experienced player who will be able to offer us much more.'
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 09:44:00 am »
now all our side needs is three more defensemen. crazy rumors flying again today. and to get rid of luque and add another striker

i was hoping for something better than a half season loaner from the hated manure (sorry dudes), but we shall see
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »
Where the hell did West Ham get this kind of money?

Hammers complete Tevez, Mascherano deal

West Ham have completed the sensational double signing of Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano from Corinthians on permanent contracts.

The Argentinian duo, who both starred for their country at the World Cup this summer, move to Upton Park for undisclosed fees.

A statement on the West Ham website read: 'The transfers represent a massive coup for the Hammers, who have beaten off some of Europe's biggest clubs to secure the services of the duo.'  

--------------------

That's about 15 Million pounds per player?
27>34

Barcelona

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

West Ham have completed the sensational double signing of Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano from Corinthians on permanent contracts.

The Argentinian duo, who both starred for their country at the World Cup this summer, move to Upton Park for undisclosed fees.

A statement on the West Ham website read: 'The transfers represent a massive coup for the Hammers, who have beaten off some of Europe's biggest clubs to secure the services of the duo.'  
This is surprising. I like Mascherano, good player at River Plate. I am not sure about Tevez though, good games with Boca but sort of problematic guy. His behavior reminds me of Maradona, and I don't like that.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 01:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

the rumor floating around is that mr. chelski owns part of corintians and torpedoed deals to arse and manure, but when the pigs came in they went at a discount

really really bad senario for the rest of the nonbig 4
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2006, 02:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  I am not sure about Tevez though, good games with Boca but sort of problematic guy. His behavior reminds me of Maradona, and I don't like that.
I heard this as well and the United faithful were quite sure there's only room for one Wayne Rooney and that's why Tevez is not at United.
27>34