Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1414743 times)

Barcelona

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #1545 on: August 29, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »
Something tells me that Man. United will not be as strong as last year (in part due to Ronaldo´s behaviour) and that Zenit will be a team to watch in the Champions League.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7584103.stm

Man Utd 1-2 Zenit St Petersburg  
 By Sam Lyon  

Manchester United's bid for European Super Cup glory ended in failure as Pavel Pogrebnyak and Danny goals earned Zenit St Petersburg a deserved win.

Fresher and more incisive throughout, Zenit took the lead when Pogrebnyak forced home a header from close range.

Playmaker Danny made it 2-0 with a fine solo goal on the hour, before Nemanja Vidic pulled one back from six yards.

It was too little too late, though, with Paul Scholes sent off late on in a lacklustre showing from United.

The midfielder saw red when he punched the ball into the net with only seconds left on the clock, earning himself a second booking and one-match European suspension that could see him sit out the Champions League group match against Villarreal.

It was a sorry end to the match for United, who had looked off the pace throughout.

With Zenit midway through the Russian season, the difference in sharpness between the sides was clearly evident, and Dick Advocaat's side showed they could well be a threat in this season's Champions League - even without Andrei Arshavin, who has been heavily linked with Spurs and who only played 45 minutes in Monaco.

The defeat, though, will not be too hard to take for United, who not only had Cristiano Ronaldo watching from the stands, but who will also be hoping to add a striker - most notably Dimitar Berbatov - to their ranks before the close of the transfer window on Monday.

United's strikers, however, are yet to find the net after three matches of the new season, with Darren Fletcher scoring their only goals in both of the opening two Premier League fixtures.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said before the match that the traditional showpiece between the Champions League winners and the Uefa Cup champions was a game to be enjoyed, but there was little for the Scot to savour from the first 45 minutes.

Zenit impressed with an attractive counter-attacking style en route to Uefa Cup glory last season and the same style had United on the back foot throughout, particularly down the Russian side's right, where Patrice Evra had a torrid time in the opening half.

Konstantin Zyryanov and Aleksandr Anyukov were a constant threat and they forged the first clear openings of the match when twice they combined to get behind the United defence, only for Pogrebnyak to spoon over when well positioned on both occasions.

Rio Ferdinand then had to be alert to deflect a Danny cross narrowly past the post, while at the other end a weak Carlos Tevez shot on 19 minutes was the best United could muster.

Ferguson's side finally showed something like their best attacking play when Tevez forced an opening down the right wing, but Wayne Rooney dallied too long on his shot and the chance came and went.

And minutes after Ivica Krizanac had forced Edwin van der Sar into an instinctive save from close range, Zenit's pressure finally told when Pogrebnyak forced the ball over the line after Igor Denisov had flicked on Dominguez's corner seconds before half-time.

Zenit goalscorers Pogrebnyak, right, and Danny celebrate in Monaco
 As if United were not struggling already, Arshavin was introduced at the break and his trickery immediately had the English champions on the back foot.

However, it was the diminutive Russian's potential replacement - Danny - who lit up the second half, the £25m signing from Dinamo Moscow dancing through the United defence and finishing with aplomb to make it 2-0 on the hour.

Tevez, a rare bright spark for United, continued to play the workhorse role up front, though, and moments after the Argentine's industry had almost set Rooney free in the box, he drilled a fine effort over.

It sparked a spell of pressure from United that had long been overdue, and with United's game finally clicking into gear, Zenit struggled to cope.

It was no surprise, therefore, when Vidic reduced the deficit from Tevez's pull-back after good work in the box by Rooney - and it preceded a last 20 minutes that saw United pile forward and Zenit attempt to pick holes in the Reds' defence on the break.

John O'Shea and Park Ji-Sung both had good opportunities blocked in the box, while Zenit keeper Vyacheslav Malafeev did well to deny Rooney with the minutes ticking down.

However, the best chance of the latter stages fell to Zenit's Danny, the Portuguese star latching onto Arshavin's pass only to fire over with just Van der Sar to beat.

And United's misery was complete a minute before time when Scholes was dismissed for an unnecessary handball.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson:
 "I think we played our best football at 2-0, unfortunately. It was a warm night and so I think my players did OK under the circumstances.

"I thought Tevez was outstanding - probably the best player on the park - and I thought we had the chances to do something in the game.

"But Zenit are a very good team and they have exceptional movement. They'll be a force in the Champions League playing like that."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester United: Van der Sar, Neville (Brown 76), Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Anderson (O'Shea 60), Nani, Scholes, Fletcher (Park 60), Rooney, Tevez.

Zenit St Petersburg: Malafeev, Anyukov, Krizanac (Radimov 71), Puygrenier (Shirokov 62), Sirl, Denisov, Tymoschuk, Zyrianov, Dominguez (Arshavin 46), Pogrebnyak, Danny.

Ref: Claus Bo Larsen (Denmark)

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #1546 on: August 30, 2008, 09:16:00 am »
Barca - I think you're forgetting Zenit are in the middle of their season and United just started theirs so Zenit are much more polished than United. Plus United are struggling with a striker problem at the moment.

The best team won and I'm not making excuses but facts are facts.

I think United will challenge for all three major trophies again this season and will get at least one of them. Chelskzzz may have a good start but wait till those egos begin to clash, you will see a dip in form mid-season.

vansmack

« Reply #1547 on: August 31, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »
I can't use my code so hopefully somebody else will:

WORLD CUP QUALIFIER PRIVATE SALE:
 USA vs. CUBA at RFK STADIUM in WASHINGTON, D.C., OCTOBER 11

EXCLUSIVE ONE-DAY SALE BEGINS NEXT TUESDAY (SEPTEMBER 2) AT 10 A.M. ET

As a special benefit to our fans, U.S. Soccer has arranged for you to order tickets ahead of the general public for the U.S. Men's National Team's semifinal round qualifier for the 2010 FIFA World Cup when they face Cuba at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., on Saturday, October 11, at 7 p.m. The game marks the team's long-awaited return to the Nation's Capital for the first time in four years. RFK last hosted the U.S. men on Oct. 13, 2004, when an Eddie Johnson hat trick paced the United States to a 6-0 victory against Panama to close out the semifinal phase of qualifying for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

Your one-day private sale starts next Tuesday (September 2) at 10 a.m. ET and ends the same day at 11:59 p.m. (tickets then become available to Visa� cardholders only on September 3 at 8 a.m., followed by the general public sale on September 4).

Advance ticket prices are $28 Endlines; $38 Sidelines; $50 Midfield; $75 Mezzanine; and $95 Club Seats (includes wait service). All prices do not include convenience and handling charges (which are added through Ticketmaster). This private sale is only available online by purchasing at: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1500410CA6F55DD0

To submit your order, use the following password in the space designated on the Ticketmaster.com order page: FIRST (please note: Password must be entered in UPPER CASE)
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1548 on: September 01, 2008, 10:43:00 am »
New Man City Owners Flex their Muscle with ₤34 Bid for Berbatov

Waaaay too much.  I'd spend a third of that and go get Huntelaar.
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #1549 on: September 01, 2008, 11:44:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  New Man City Owners Flex their Muscle with ₤34 Bid for Berbatov

Waaaay too much.  I'd spend a third of that and go get Huntelaar.
Yep, we should be United's Chief Exec's...I would've cashed in on Ronaldo too, truth be known, and bought Arsenal Football club as our reserve side!!!  ;)

The deal for Saha to Everton went through evidently so United need to do something before the days over.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1550 on: September 01, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »
last day of the window is never boring eh

think i might have to go the that wc qualifier at rfk. thanks for posting that
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1551 on: September 01, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  i tend to think the arse shavin deal is doa, but even so, fiscal responsiblity hasnt exactly been spurs guiding force this summer
Well, the Pavlyuchenko deal is almost done (despite him being cup tied...) and both Spurs and United are in Monacco for the UEFA/Champions draw so it likely that they will meet to discuss Berbatov.  Zenit's cheif is also in Monacco...I'm not as convinced as you are as I don't see Spurs letting Berbativ rot in the reserves. [/b]
See.  And Tottenham held out so long they got Frazier Campbell on a year long loan instead Arshavin.  Well played Spurs, well played. What were they thinking?  

United Finally Complete Berbatov Deal
27>34

Barcelona

« Reply #1552 on: September 01, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1553 on: September 01, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »
  ]See.  And Tottenham held out so long they got Frazier Campbell on a year long loan instead Arshavin.  Well played Spurs, well played. What were they thinking?  

United Finally Complete Berbatov Deal
better off with campbell and £20m than arse shavin in my opinion. they dont need him and well played. actually better for manu, they get the best f out there and their young player should get great service.

toon get a guy named nacho on loan and xisco. we really needed cover at lb. honestly glad we didnt over spend
o/\o

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1554 on: September 02, 2008, 08:43:00 am »
apparently kev has decided to prove the mankies of the world right and walk the fuck away at the first sign of trouble. i am livid
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #1555 on: September 02, 2008, 09:11:00 am »
  apparently kev has decided to prove the mankies of the world right and walk the fuck away at the first sign of trouble. i am livid
;)  

See, I tol....aw, never mind

brennser

« Reply #1556 on: September 02, 2008, 09:48:00 am »
oh well, hopefully he walked away with a fat payoff - what an f'ed up club

Originally posted by brennser:
  yeah, quite a shock, and although I'm happy to be proven wrong, much like the Gibbs return here in DC (except Keegan never really won anything first time round) it will probably all end in tears again....

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1557 on: September 02, 2008, 10:01:00 am »
now theyre saying sacked. makes less sense
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #1558 on: September 02, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
  now theyre saying sacked. makes less sense
Football manager is probably one of the few professions were it's better to be sacked than quit. They have to pay your contract out if they fire you I think, but don't if you walk out.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #1559 on: September 02, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »
I'm just wondering....do you think Robinho realizes Manchester has two teams?

He will do once he arrives at Middle Eastlands!!