Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1412726 times)

Frank Gallagher

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #495 on: June 18, 2007, 10:57:00 am »
Congratulations to Becks and Real Madrid...sorry Barcelona, can't win em all!!

Barcelona

« Reply #496 on: June 18, 2007, 11:55:00 am »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
  Congratulations to Becks and Real Madrid...sorry Barcelona, can't win em all!!
I disconnected from the Spanish League a few weeks ago after the draw at home with Betis. It is embarrassing how we have handed the league to Real Madrid in the last games. Lack of motivation, overconfidence? not sure. Still, Beckham's resume in Real Madrid has been really sad, one big championship and given as a gift. There is no merit in what Madrid did this year. We just threw it away at home with an incredible lack of motivation.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #497 on: June 20, 2007, 10:53:00 am »
wow. just. wow
 http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/06/19/bc.soc.galaxy.beckham.ap/index.html

Galaxy president Lalas says English soccer is inferior
 Posted: Tuesday June 19, 2007 10:30AM; Updated: Tuesday June 19, 2007 12:08PM

Galaxy GM and former U.S. defender Alexi Lalas is known for his eyebrow-raising statements.
 Christian Petersen/AFP/Getty Images

LONDON (AP) -- Alexi Lalas helped humiliate English soccer 14 years ago. It looks like he's trying to do it again.

The Los Angeles Galaxy president, who scored when the United States beat England 2-0 in a friendly match in 1993, told British newspapers that Major League Soccer is on a par with the Premier League.

Irked by suggestions that David Beckham is going into semiretirement by joining the Galaxy, Lalas said the only reason the English league is popular is because of American-style marketing.

"The fact that a segment of the world worships an inferior product in the Premiership is their business," Lalas said in an interview with The Guardian published Tuesday.

"In England, our league is considered second class, but I honestly believe if you took a helicopter and grabbed a bunch of MLS players and took them to the perceived best league in the world they wouldn't miss a beat and the fans wouldn't notice any drop in quality."

Brian McBride and Clint Dempsey are among the American players in the Premier League, although they play for modest Fulham. None of the American players in England are stars of the caliber of those at teams such as Manchester United and Chelsea.

McBride -- the third highest scorer in U.S. national team history with 30 goals -- scored nine times last season for Fulham, which finished 16th in the Premier League. His tally was 12 short of Didier Drogba's league-high 21 for Chelsea, and the same as Wigan's Emile Heskey and Aston Villa's Gabriel Agbonlahor.

Despite criticizing the Premier League for sloganeering and over-marketing, Lalas claimed that, when he arrives, Beckham will have a higher profile in the United States than Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan.

"The U.S. will never have dealt with an athlete who has had this kind of international impact," Lalas told The Mirror. "Tiger Woods has that international appeal but, with due respect to Woods and Michael Jordan, David Beckham is at an entirely different level."

Lalas, a 37-year-old former United States defender, said his country's record at the past four World Cups compared favorably with that of England -- England has two underwhelming quarterfinal appearances to one for the U.S. -- and suggested almost all those who criticize the MLS have yet to see the league.

However, several British papers were unimpressed by the Galaxy's 3-2 win over Real Salt Lake on Sunday.

"The game was not without moments of quality ... (but) some of the defending from both sides was the type of stuff you watch through your fingers," according to The Mirror. "It was the football equivalent of a demolition derby.

"The use of possession was alarmingly careless and the concept of marking appeared not to have found its way across the Atlantic."
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #498 on: June 20, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »
Lalas is a tool, and was barely average as a player, or a European team would've signed him like they do with all the better US players, of which there are many....and the only reason he's relatively well known is because of his retarded name and even more retarded hairstyle when he was playing.

Beating any team in a friendly is meaningless, not talking the thrill of victory away from the US, but come onnnnnnn the England players were probably hung over and the US players playing in what was probably the biggest game of their lives at the time.

He's trying to cause headlines because of the arrival of the great messiah to his small backwards village.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #499 on: June 20, 2007, 01:09:00 pm »
he did play in serie a, but whatever

i swear i saw him endorse us players going to europe to better their games. guy is good at getting people talking, i'll give him that
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #500 on: June 20, 2007, 01:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  he did play in serie a, but whatever

Is that before or during the corruption in that league??? I should've said credible European league.

vansmack

« Reply #501 on: June 20, 2007, 01:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
  Lalas is a tool
You said enough right there.

Could you imagine Landy Cakes with an English team having to travel anywhere in England for an away match and not crapping himself?  Make it a Derby and he'll have an anxiety attack for sure.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #502 on: June 20, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »
if padova pays people off, they do a shitty job of it

i hate dissing a donovan, but even take dempsey, beasley and gooch. none of them have stuck for midtable teams
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #503 on: June 20, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »
So sad, one year ago this is how I was spending my summer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HphVG_JFlHM
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #504 on: June 20, 2007, 02:48:00 pm »
Besides, isn't Lalas one of the Teletubbies?

vansmack

« Reply #505 on: June 22, 2007, 11:14:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  beasley and gooch. none of them have stuck for midtable teams
I didn't realize that both of them had been cut from their squads.  Just a sad statement about US Soccer - I thought they had a chance, especially Onyewu.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #506 on: June 22, 2007, 11:41:00 am »
gooch was rumored to resurface with birmingham, i think that might be off, though

he was brought in to be the defensive savior and roeder hardly played him. he did seem to give up too many penalties too close to the box, but i really dont think he got a fair shake. all during the january transfer window glenn swore up and down that we'd see some defensive relief and come 2/1 we still have managerkiller bramble next to taylor. and anytime transfers were brought up he like to trumpet oba, who apparently has an 13 million pound out clause

thank god he was sacked and ashley bought the club
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #507 on: June 28, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »
Updated: June 27, 2007

Beasley transferring to Rangers
 Associated Press

GLASGOW, Scotland -- American midfielder DaMarcus Beasley transferred to Scotland's Glasgow Rangers on Wednesday.

The 25-year-old, who helped the United States beat Mexico on Sunday in the CONCACAF Gold Cup final in Chicago, was injured for much of last season and played just 18 Premier League games for Manchester City. He was on loan to the English club from PSV Eindhoven.

Beasley has signed a 3-year contract and, although Rangers did not reveal how much it paid PSV, reports said the fee was about $1.38 million.

"I've got a couple of good friends who played at Rangers, Michael Ball and Claudio Reyna, and they had good things to say about the football club," Beasley said. "Claudio said that being at Rangers is like being part of a massive family. Everyone is nice. Everything is first class."

Beasley has 15 goals in 68 international appearances. He won two Dutch Eredivisie titles with PSV.

He is looking forward to helping Rangers qualify for the European Champions League. The qualifying draw will be held Friday.

"It's a big draw," Beasley said. "I played two years there with PSV, and we had a great run in my first year there. We went to the semifinal and no one thought we could do it. We were a small club compared to Real Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona and teams like that, so Rangers can do the same thing. I'm looking forward to starting that campaign. Hopefully, we will qualify, and I'm sure we will."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
27>34

brennser

« Reply #508 on: June 28, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »
torres to liverpool for $54 million bucks

crazy money even by Man U standards - will be v hard for him to live up to/justify that price tag

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #509 on: June 29, 2007, 10:51:00 am »
Why in God's name would any quality player move to Scotland?

And Chelski are the new benchmark for overpriced players, not United.