Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1412750 times)

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #525 on: July 18, 2007, 06:45:00 am »
Beckham adds no spice to U.S. fans' sports diet
 Rick Maese

Rick Maese
 July 18, 2007

He hasn't yet made his American debut, but David Beckham has already made the cover of Sports Illustrated. Five thousand fans showed up at the Home Depot Center last week - for a news conference. The paparazzi have abandoned our favorite food-deprived starlets to deliver us round-the-clock Beckham coverage.

We're still a couple of days away from Beckham suiting up for the Los Angeles Galaxy and already soccer's summertime sideshow has made it easy to overlook the actual game Beckham's supposed to be weaving into the American fabric. But did we really expect anything else?

"Say hello, America," beckons the ESPN commercial. "Beckham arrives Saturday." In that sense, Beckham feels more like a new Apple product or perhaps a storm front. As a pop culture phenomenon, he has certainly arrived.

However, as some soccer knight whose footwork and gamesmanship are supposed to convert us into believers, he'll be as welcomed as a door-to-door Bible salesman. We don't need to witness a second of action to once again note that just because the rest of the world might be selling, American sports fans aren't buying. Not only are they hawking the wrong product, but they've chosen the wrong pitchman.

From the fine folks who brought us warm beer and driving on the wrong side of the road comes this latest line of twisted logic: The world's most popular soccer player is charged with finally pushing the sport into the mainstream.

You aren't going to sway a nation that prefers football to futbol by simply sending over the most popular athlete you can muster. If we collectively think the sport is boring to watch, the solution is not to send us someone who's mastered the boredom. That's like a television network airing an hour-long reality show on paint drying - and encouraging you to watch because the broadcast features the nicest, shiniest paint in the world. American sports fans aren't fooled by dimples and hard abs and a Spice Girl on one arm - to us, it's still paint drying.

This isn't to suggest that Major League Soccer's venture won't garner attention. It most certainly will find some level of success. The Galaxy signing Beckham doesn't woo legions of new fans to the sport; instead, the new star is merely a vehicle for a fan base that's already had its soccer license for many years.

That's why since the Beckham signing was announced six months ago, you haven't visited the water cooler at work and heard the Dallas Cowboys fan chatting up the Chicago Bulls fan about soccer. Those most excited to see Beckham in MLS are those already familiar with MLS.

The prophecy is oft-repeated. Pele came to America in 1975, and while he sold some tickets and helped build the sport's identity here, three decades later we're still talking about some improbable day when every American newborn is handed a soccer ball on the way out of the delivery room.

Put simply: In America, soccer is a wonderful participatory sport. For a variety of reasons, it is a terrible spectator event. That doesn't change with one man. In fact, you could bring in the top dozen European players and it wouldn't change. If you want American sports fans to take an interest, put Ray Lewis in a D.C. United jersey. Or even better, put Victoria Beckham in a Galaxy jersey.

Like any niche sport, soccer's hard-core fans will revel in David Beckham's arrival. But even those who don't plan to catch more than a few minutes of an MLS game will find him difficult to ignore. We're a celebrity-infused culture, and Beckham no doubt intrigues us. But not as an athlete.

Just as with a long line of pretty faces, our interest will have nothing to do with his talents. No more than we care about Paris Hilton because of her handbag collection or Tara Reid because of her method acting. Beckham's audience is more TMZ.com than ESPN.com; Entertainment Tonight, not Baseball Tonight.

And only half of that interest is even attributed to Beckham. Among the Internet's top search subjects, Victoria Beckham was ranked No. 2 by Yahoo.com yesterday. And Mr. Posh Spice? He was No. 19. A safe guess is that those searches weren't all performed by newly converted soccerheads filling suburbia from Walla Walla, Wash., to Bangor, Maine.

Ultimately, Beckham's paycheck parade across American soil won't be about increasing the sport's popularity. Beckham's popularity, maybe. But not soccer's. Meantime, we'll be force-fed updates on the Beckhams' shopping habits and dining decisions. Occasionally we might get a soccer score or two, but for the American appetite, that will never be anything more than garnish on our sports plate.

It's not a point of pride, but in our glitter-obsessed culture, we care about who someone is, not what they do. In that sense, Beckham might make for a bland American sports star, but he's the perfect American celebrity.

rick.maese@baltsun.com

godsshoeshine

« Reply #526 on: July 18, 2007, 09:24:00 am »
every column i've read has said the becks thing isnt going to work, and maybe it wont, but the whole 'it wont work because americans dont like soccer' seems vague and general to me
o/\o

ChampionshipVinyl

« Reply #527 on: July 18, 2007, 11:09:00 am »
One problem is that it doesn't seem like there is a sportswriter who actually likes soccer. Most of the articles and television commentary I've read or heard expresses what seems to be a generational bias against soccer. Sometimes it seems as though most sportswriters are of a certain age, and that age bracket did not develop an appreciation of soccer which comes out in their writing or commentary.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #528 on: July 18, 2007, 11:14:00 am »
exactly. the guys 15 years older than them said the same things about nascar, i am sure
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #529 on: July 18, 2007, 11:46:00 am »
I don't know.  There were over 1000 people at the Galaxy's practice on Monday.  The week before?  Zero.  I don't remember Pele ever getting anyone to watch a practice, especially one where he was injured.

I for one, am excited about it, and I am rarely if ever excited about MLS.  So that's a new deomgraphic - people who like "football" who might actually watch a little more "soccer."
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #530 on: July 18, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »
the commentary is so far off. becks isnt a pele clone, mls has a business model based on not repeting nasl mistakes, ect.

i just think its funny that the espn dudes seem to be trying so hard to not care about a league that's on their own network
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #531 on: July 19, 2007, 09:52:00 am »
One player isn't going to knock the NFL off Sunday tv all day long, but he will attract attention to the game from those who have paid no attention to it in the past. It's not Beckhams job to keep them coming, it's the MLS's job by giving us a more entertaining and exciting product on the field.

I'm a prime example - I'm just shy of obsessed with the sport but you couldn't pay me to sit through a 90 minute MLS match. It's boring, plain and simple. I'm sorry, but it is.

Remember Chelski and all they've achieved since money bags took over? They still can't fill their ramshackle stadium because their game is boring. You have to give the fans something entertaining or they'll just won't pay to watch.

vansmack

« Reply #532 on: July 20, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »
It is with Great Pleasure that I bring you the first installment of the 2007-2008 TV Schedule:

Saturday, August 11

7:45 Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur, Setanta Sports
 10:00 West Ham United v Manchester City, Fox Soccer Channel
 10:00 Bolton Wanderers v Newcastle United, Setanta Sports
 12:15 Aston Villa v Liverpool, Fox Soccer Channel
 2:30 Derby v Portsmouth [Tape Delay],Fox Soccer Channel

Sunday, August 12

8:30 Chelsea v Birmingham City, Setanta Sports
 11:00 Manchester United v Reading, Fox Soccer Channel

Tuesday, August 14

3:00 Tottenham Hotspur v Everton, Setanta Sports

Wednesday, August 15

3:00 Portsmouth v Manchester United, Setanta Sports

Saturday, August 18

7:45 Portsmouth v Bolton Wanderers, Setanta Sports
 10:00 Tottenham Hotspur v Derby County, Fox Soccer Channel
 10:00 Blackburn Rovers v Arsenal, Setanta Sports
 12:15 Newcastle United v Aston Villa, Fox Soccer Channel
 2:30 Wigan Athletic v Sunderland [Tape Delay], Fox Soccer Channel

Sunday, August 19

8:30 Manchester City v Manchester United, Setanta Sports
 11:00 Liverpool v Chelsea, Fox Soccer Channel

Saturday, August 25

7:45 Sunderland v Liverpool, Setanta Sports
 10:00 Arsenal v Manchester City, Fox Soccer Channel
 10:00 Chelsea v Portsmouth, Setanta Sports
 12:15 Everton v Blackburn Rovers, Fox Soccer Channel

Sunday, August 26

1:00AM Derby County v Birmingham City [Tape Delay], Fox Soccer Channel
 8:30 Middlesbrough v Newcastle United, Setanta Sports
 11:00 Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur,  Fox Soccer Channel

Saturday, September 1

10:00 Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur, Fox Soccer Channel
 12:15 Manchester United v Sunderland, Fox Soccer Channel
 6:00 Blackburn Rovers v Manchester City [Tape Delay], Fox Soccer Channel
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #533 on: July 20, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »
fuck! only one fsc game, and i wont be moved in until early sept  :(
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #534 on: July 25, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »
'Family problems' to end Dyer's Newcastle career?

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has admitted Kieron Dyer could leave the club over 'family problems'.

The 28-year-old midfielder has been at the centre of speculation that he wants a move away from St James' Park after eight years for more than a week amid claims he is unhappy on Tyneside.

Allardyce revealed at the weekend he would hold talks with the England international in an effort to discover his feelings, and having done so, is now attempting to resolve the issue.

He said: 'At the moment, there's a problem from a family point of view and we have to try to see whether we can resolve that, and if we cannot, then that may well result in Kieron looking to leave the club for that reason and that reason alone.

'That's the discussion we have had. It's obviously disappointing for me, but it is one I understand.

'If somebody has got a problem they cannot resolve, then ultimately in the long run, it is better for the club and better for him if you can resolve that problem.

'If that's away from here, then so be it.'
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #535 on: July 25, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »
his sister apparently got arrested in some sort of smack crack ring back in june

on one hand he seems like the type of player that sam takes from being a misfit to a solid contributor, but on the other he's had 8 years and never shows much, and at 28 how much more does he have left. i say if someone offers £5 million take it, get him off of the wage books

supposedly we have cash, but who could we get?
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #536 on: July 25, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  his sister apparently got arrested in some sort of smack crack ring back in june

on one hand he seems like the type of player that sam takes from being a misfit to a solid contributor, but on the other he's had 8 years and never shows much, and at 28 how much more does he have left. i say if someone offers £5 million take it, get him off of the wage books

supposedly we have cash, but who could we get?
He's been around that long?  I guess I've always thought of him as younger since we've all been waiting for him to "turn the corner" so to speak.

I hear Tevez is still available and apparently anybody but Liverpool can have Heinze.  I have to wonder if all of those young midfielders who trasferred earlier to mid-table clubs are kicking themselves for not waiting a little bit.  I'd love to set-up Owen all season long at New Castle rather than whomever they're setting up now.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #537 on: July 25, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »
my understanding is sam would love heinze, but either club or player is not interested

i would guess he wants cl action, same with tevez

but, yeah should be more firepower up front this year with viduka and owen. martins was our only real forward after christmas last year and he's third choice now
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #538 on: July 30, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  interesting. would not have guessed that
All talk, apparently.

This makes much more sense:

Updated: July 30, 2007
 MLS star Adu poised to sign for Benfica
 Soccernet

LISBON (AFP) - Freddy Adu, the most recognisable name in the Major League Soccer, was on Monday poised to sign a five year deal with Portuguese side Benfica.

The Ghana-born Adu, 18, was twice named an MLS All-Star - in 2004 and 2006 - helped DC United capture the 2004 MLS Cup during his rookie season.

According to press reports here Benfica have already paid out 1.5 million euros to recruit the United states international.

Benfica are also due to sign Argentina duo Angel Di Maria and Andres Diaz.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #539 on: July 30, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »
The wheels are just falling off the bus at Arsenal these days.  Too bad, because I really thought last year that they had enough young pieces to give Chelsea a run for second place in the next few years....

Reyes gets wish in returning to Spain

Arsenal have confirmed striker Jose Antonio Reyes has joined Atletico Madrid for an undisclosed fee.

The Spain international's future has been the subject of speculation all summer after he made it clear he did not want to return to north London after a one-season loan at Real Madrid last year.

Lyon, Atletico and Real were all in the running for his signature but the Rojiblancos have managed to add Reyes to their other summer signings including Diego Forlan and Simao Sabrosa.

A statement on Atletico's official website reported Reyes has signed a four-year deal and will be unveiled at 10am on Tuesday.

The 23-year-old Spain forward will then join up with his new team-mates ahead of the pre-season Amsterdam tournament at the weekend.

Reyes spent last season on loan at Real Madrid, where he scored on the last day against Mallorca to help seal the win that brought the Primera Liga title back to the Bernabeu for the first time in four years.

Unhappy with the climate in England, Reyes wanted to return to Spain, but an agreement between Arsenal and Real could not be reached.

Reyes joined Arsenal from Sevilla in January 2004 and made a total of 110 appearances for the Gunners, scoring 23 goals.
27>34