Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1419207 times)

Barcelona

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #1905 on: March 14, 2009, 01:17:11 pm »
Didnīt see the game, but incredible what Benitez is capable of, first year the Champions League, then another final and now in four days he trashes Real Madrid and Manchester United. Would not want to face Liverpool in the Champions League now. As for Manchester United, a bit like at the beginning of the season, this year they do not look like last year.

Premiership and Champions League seem to be wide open.

brennser

« Reply #1906 on: March 15, 2009, 08:38:17 am »
Didnīt see the game, but incredible what Benitez is capable of, first year the Champions League, then another final and now in four days he trashes Real Madrid and Manchester United. Would not want to face Liverpool in the Champions League now. As for Manchester United, a bit like at the beginning of the season, this year they do not look like last year.

Premiership and Champions League seem to be wide open.

the key phrase there is didn't see the game - fair play to Liverpool and all but if there ever was a score not reflective of a game then this was it - if anything I think Man U were the better team over the 90 minutes. We made 4 horrendous defensive mistakes and Liverpool scored off each one - the odds of that happening again are slight

As for wide open, I'll take 4 points with a game in hand any day of the week - Man U have lost 1 game after one of the most incredible streaks in Prem history - it had to happen sooner or later

We'll see what happens next week at Craven Cottage - I'll be there cheering the lads on!!

vansmack

« Reply #1907 on: March 15, 2009, 04:55:28 pm »
I agree with Brennser on this one.  This was an uncharacteristic loss for United in that it was ripe with HUGE errors on United's part, many of which were not created by anything Liverpool did.  I would say the same for United's goal...

I'm actually more concerned about what to about Vidic in future Liverpool ties than I am about the title race.  I'm no expert, but I know the difference between a trend and a problem and 4 red cards in 5 ties sure looks like a problem to me.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1908 on: March 15, 2009, 04:58:03 pm »
We'll see what happens next week at Craven Cottage - I'll be there cheering the lads on!!

Ouch.  That hurts a little bit because I'm super jealous, but kudos to you.  Have a GREAT time.
27>34

brennser

« Reply #1909 on: March 15, 2009, 11:22:46 pm »

Ouch.  That hurts a little bit because I'm super jealous, but kudos to you.  Have a GREAT time.
Thanks Smackie - really looking forward to it. Craven Cottage is meant to be a nice little ground as well. Just hope the score is better than my last game, a 1-0 loss to West Ham in Curbishleys first game in charge

HUGE sporting weekend over the pond with Ireland going for the Grand Slam against Wales on Sat - wish I could teleport myself to Cardiff after the Man U game

I'll also be in Dublin for the Ireland-Bulgaria game but will unfortunately have to skip because of wifeys birthday

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1910 on: March 16, 2009, 10:12:01 am »
speaking from a neutral view, the score was entirely too harsh. while vidic was shocking i thought that man u would still win up until the third goal. i dont know if its really that wide open, you have to figure that man u has to drop points in four matches, and their two hardest remaining are arse and an out of form villa, but they get both at ot
I'll also be in Dublin for the Ireland-Bulgaria game but will unfortunately have to skip because of wifeys birthday
3 points there would be great for the republic
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1911 on: March 17, 2009, 11:51:23 am »
Sorry for the late notice but this is a makeup game and wasn't on my schedule...

Tuesday, March 17

3:45pm FA Cup 6th Round: Arsenal vs Hull (set)
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1912 on: March 17, 2009, 12:16:42 pm »
i should watch this and root for injuries

lots and lots of injuries  :(  :(
o/\o

Barcelona

« Reply #1913 on: March 20, 2009, 08:56:44 am »
Villarreal - Arsenal
Manchester United - Porto
Liverpool - Chelsea
Barcelona - Bayern Munich

afraid of the second game in Munich. Great to see Liverpool against Chelsea again.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:16:07 am by Barcelona »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1914 on: March 20, 2009, 09:10:02 am »
great? thats the worst possible draw. liverpoor vs chelzzzz = snoozefest

terrible draw, as a neutral none of these matchups really get me going. maybe barca/bayern
o/\o

Barcelona

« Reply #1915 on: March 20, 2009, 12:32:46 pm »
Anyway, first time in my life, leaving now to see a live cricket game. West Indies against England, 50 overs game in Georgetown, Guyana. I will go for the afternoon session, interesting to see the atmosphere when the two guyanese players bat.

I think the Chelsea Liverpool games are going to be good. Barcelona against Bayern should be quite open, lots of goals. Villarreal Arsenal should be open, wouldn't assume that Arsenal will go through easily. Porto tend to be always good, it will depend how the first game ends in Old Trafford.

vansmack

« Reply #1916 on: March 20, 2009, 12:32:57 pm »
As a United supporter, I probably couldn't have asked for a better draw for the club, but you're right, as a football fan, this is maybe the worst possible draw.

Look at the bright side, there won't be a Chelsea-Liverpool snoozefest final...
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1917 on: March 20, 2009, 02:05:18 pm »
yeah, instead we'll have it over two legs

maybe uefa is trying to prove these things arent rigged
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1918 on: March 20, 2009, 02:43:47 pm »
Saturday, March 21

8:40am Portsmouth vs Everton (set)
10:40am Fulham vs Man Utd (Set)
11:00am Tottenham vs Chelsea (FSC)
1:30pm Newcastle vs Arsenal (FSC)
7:45pm Blackburn vs West Ham (Set)
9:30pm West Brom vs Bolton (Set)

Sunday, March 22

9:25am Wigan vs Hull (Set)
12:00pm Liverpool vs Aston Villa (FSC)
5:30pm Manchester City vs Sunderland (FSC)
27>34

Barcelona

« Reply #1919 on: March 21, 2009, 01:14:39 pm »

the key phrase there is didn't see the game - fair play to Liverpool and all but if there ever was a score not reflective of a game then this was it - if anything I think Man U were the better team over the 90 minutes. We made 4 horrendous defensive mistakes and Liverpool scored off each one - the odds of that happening again are slight

As for wide open, I'll take 4 points with a game in hand any day of the week - Man U have lost 1 game after one of the most incredible streaks in Prem history - it had to happen sooner or later

2-0 against Fullham, if Liverpool wins tomorrow this thing might be open.  Barcelona was 12 points ahead of Real Madrid and in three weeks the difference went down to 4 points. I think Manchester United this year is not as strong as last year.