Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1371962 times)

vansmack

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #2235 on: June 30, 2009, 12:47:45 pm »
5 Things we Learned from the Confederations Cup

3. Don't moan about the vuvuzelas

"Those African trumpets?" Xabi Alonso said with a look of genuine disgust. "They make a terrible noise. I don't think it's a very good idea to have them on sale outside the grounds. Here's a piece of advice for Fifa: they should try to ban those things. It's not distracting but that noise is a bit annoying."

It seems like an innocent enough comment. Why, after all, shouldn't Alonso complain if something irks him? But it prompted fury among South African fans and was, it seems, part of the reason why the home crowd got behind the US in their semi-final victory over Spain. "South Africa is a noisy country," blasted a leader in the Daily Sun. "Foreigners should get used to it." A letter in the same paper, meanwhile, accused Alonso of being a modern-day conquistador.

You may know that the idea they're connected to the myth that baboons are killed by loud noise is farcical. You may know that they've only really been around for four or five years. You may despair of people who tell you that they're part of African football (they're not: I've been to three African Cups of Nations and heard the drumming of the Beninois and the Ivorians, the trumpets and trombones of the Nigerians, even the banjo-playing of Ali, the grinning and omnipresent Tunisian, but I'd never heard a vuvuzela until a fortnight ago). You may be driven slowly insane by them. But it's probably best not to mention it.

---

And I'll add #6 - the US is A LOT better than anybody thought, and that includes many Americans, myself included.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2236 on: June 30, 2009, 01:01:29 pm »
for me #1 is
1. South Africa is cold in June
they concentrate on england in the guardian (of course) but that helps the u.s. too
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2237 on: June 30, 2009, 01:14:09 pm »
for me #1 is
1. South Africa is cold in June

Actually, Johannesburg is because it's higher than Denver, but Cape Town and Durban (where I'm considering going in 2010) are rather mild.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:17:44 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2238 on: June 30, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »
Manchester United is delighted to announce that it has completed the signing of Antonio Valencia from Wigan on a four-year contract for an undisclosed fee.

The 23 year-old Ecuador international has played 34 times for his country, scoring four goals.

Sir Alex Ferguson said:

"Antonio is a player we have admired for some time now, having spent the last two years in the Premier League with Wigan.  I am sure his pace and ability will make a significant contribution to the team."

Antonio Valencia said:

"Joining Manchester United is a dream come true for me. I have enjoyed my time at Wigan, but I am thrilled to have the chance to challenge for the biggest honours in club football here.

"Playing in front of 76,000 fans alongside players like Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs will be an amazing experience. I can?t wait to get started."
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2239 on: July 01, 2009, 12:17:43 pm »
This is unbelievable....

Real revolution set to continue with £30m deal for Benzema

When will they ever learn that buying the best players does not make a very good football squad?  It takes cohesion....
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2240 on: July 01, 2009, 01:17:08 pm »
never. what are the going to do with those all of the dutch players now
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2241 on: July 01, 2009, 02:00:33 pm »
I have made no secret about my man crush for Wesley Sneijder.  I would love to see him at OT. 

Fergie was also looking to sign Robben at 18 back in the day only to have the bastard Peter Kenyon steal him to Chelsea when he betrayed OT, but I don't see that happening.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2242 on: July 01, 2009, 02:37:15 pm »
ouch.  that was painful.  did the Team US really think it could kill time and defend against the brazilians for a full half? 

I disagree completely. 

sorry, i wasn't clear... the pain was losing the lead.  personally, a game that went 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2 would have been easier to stomach.

completely agreed that this was a huge win for US soccer.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2243 on: July 01, 2009, 03:35:31 pm »
the pain was losing the lead.  

I didn't for more than one second think the US was going to win that game - not even 2-0 at half.  The win was getting there and scoring two goals in open play as shoeshine pointed out.  There was no pain.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2244 on: July 01, 2009, 04:10:15 pm »
gotta say i was impressed with donovan's free kicks, especially the corners. consistently dangerous, especially with all the big bodies the u.s. has
o/\o

hutch

« Reply #2245 on: July 01, 2009, 04:18:56 pm »
what a loser mentality to believe its a win when you gave up a 2 goal lead..

vansmack

« Reply #2246 on: July 01, 2009, 04:19:08 pm »
gotta say i was impressed with donovan

I would have stopped there.  I've never been a big fan of Landy Cakes, mostly because he has consistently pussed out of playing in Europe, but he was a star in that tournament.  His play was mostly brilliant and he was by far the most fit player on the US squad - seems he never got tired and he certainly never gave up.  I'm not saying I'm a believer yet, but that 2nd goal against Brazil was easily as nice as the United goal against Arsenal in the FA that people still talk about.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2247 on: July 01, 2009, 04:28:14 pm »
supposedly he's going to get a chance at la liga. really wonder if anyone over there is going to want him and be able to afford what mls is going to want at the same time. to me thats a better fit, and he speaks spanish
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2248 on: July 02, 2009, 06:33:35 pm »
Shoeshine, with his recent text, just set my agenda for the weekend:

Michael Owen on verge of shock move to Manchester United

I can't wait for Mankie's take, although I'm talking myself into the Ole Gunnar role for him and praying Rooney doesn't get hurt.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:35:18 pm by vansmack »
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2249 on: July 03, 2009, 10:26:38 am »
if mike starts under around 20-25 matches i think its brilliant. i get the feeling he will still score given chances, and if he gets hurt man utd is deep enough to absorb it

really, i would have felt bad if he went to a smaller team. he'd be part side show part albatross for hull, stoke, wigan ect
o/\o