Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1371934 times)

vansmack

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #3825 on: June 19, 2012, 02:15:06 pm »
Got to listen to the TalkSport pregame on the way to work this morning.  England fans crack me up.  They're so nervous and they have every right to be - this is exactly the type of game they can fuck up. 

I still think 2-0 to England, but the call-ins were highly entertaining this morning.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3826 on: June 21, 2012, 02:39:26 pm »
They could have done a whole lot better with this:

Frustrated Bob Ley Tasked With Explaining Concept Of Europe To ESPN Viewers[/URL]
JUNE 21, 2012 | ISSUE 48?26

BRISTOL, CT?Assigned to provide commentary over SportsCenter's Euro 2012 highlights Tuesday night, ESPN anchor Bob Ley was forced to explain first the existence of Europe to the show's audience, a daunting task that clearly frustrated him. "You know how we say the U.S. is a country? Well, Europe is many countries put together, and people live in them just like people live here," said Ley, rushing through his script as England and Ukraine played on screen, and failing to make it through even a brief overview of the continent's history or why it was relevant, much less who Wayne Rooney is or why it was good that the ball bounced off his head at the end of the field. "Over by where the Red Sox play is some water called the Atlantic Ocean, and on the other side of the water is Europe? Okay, let's just leave it at that. I've probably lost most of you by now." Ley then went on to highlights of the Sweden-France match, simplifying things by just calling the two foreign nations the "Blue Jays" and the "Expos."
27>34

hutch

« Reply #3827 on: June 24, 2012, 05:52:24 pm »
good lord did Italy school England..

Particularly enjoyed Pirlo's chip. He was magnificent the entire game.

I got to say every tournament is just the same conclusion: England just plain sucks. Did they have a midfield?

I enjoyed that...

betao

« Reply #3828 on: June 24, 2012, 09:44:04 pm »
england's offense fell apart everytime they got the ball in the 2nd half. they couldn't complete passes, hardly even dribble the ball. disappointing game.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3829 on: June 24, 2012, 10:10:01 pm »
while england's passing was indeed bad, i enjoyed all the scoring chances in the game.  could have been a high-scoring game.  pirlo's penalty was bad-ass. 

for how long has the riff from Seven Nation Army been the default chant at european games?  seems like fans are singing it at every game, after each goal.  is there anything behind this, other than the fact that it's a catchy riff?
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #3830 on: June 25, 2012, 01:25:28 am »
while england's passing was indeed bad, i enjoyed all the scoring chances in the game.  could have been a high-scoring game.  pirlo's penalty was bad-ass. 

for how long has the riff from Seven Nation Army been the default chant at european games?  seems like fans are singing it at every game, after each goal.  is there anything behind this, other than the fact that it's a catchy riff?

yeah, was that the Italian supporters? It kinda sounded like a mexican mariachi band version which made no sense...

it made me smile hearing it..

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #3831 on: June 25, 2012, 08:54:13 am »
If that game was a boxing match. It would been a win by tko for Italy at halftime.

The silver lining is we won't be put through the humiliation of being ripped apart by Germany.

What I can't understand is the country that boasts the most exciting club league in the world produces such crap at the national level. Maybe we should be grateful for all the foreigners in the EPL after all.

shemptiness

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #3833 on: August 08, 2012, 04:52:49 pm »
United not scoring in pre-season....maybe we do need RVP after all...

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3834 on: August 08, 2012, 07:54:23 pm »
you should play hartlepool
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #3835 on: August 13, 2012, 02:29:49 pm »
After thoroughly enjoying cutting the chord and switching MLB to all online in 2012, I was thinking of doing the same for EPL and Champions league this year.  Too bad it's not every match nor is there an Android app for foxsoccer2go.

This is where MLB went right - build your own ecosystem, where EPL licensed it out, in the states at least.   
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3836 on: August 13, 2012, 02:39:03 pm »
I say this because this morning I've foregone my second monitor at work and added a 24inch LED attached to a nettop instead.

Let the season begin.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3837 on: August 13, 2012, 04:47:39 pm »
directv has every game, and i believe there is a vulkano app for android
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #3838 on: August 13, 2012, 04:58:27 pm »
directv has every game, and i believe there is a vulkano app for android

First, If I could reach through this screen.....

Second, I'm really looking to cut the chord from pay-tv bundles and go internet À la carte, which, but for sports I would have done years ago.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3839 on: August 15, 2012, 03:25:31 pm »
As much as I like RVP and welcome him, I think a center back or holding center mid would have been a better purchase.
27>34