Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1381388 times)

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #4020 on: June 16, 2014, 08:11:16 am »
I think we can all agree that watching the Spurs stomp the Heat last night was more exciting than a weeks worth of soccer!

Actually I'm certain we can't agree on that

-edit - or anything for that matter

lastly...why do we have to agree on anything?   
slack

atomic

« Reply #4021 on: June 16, 2014, 10:29:47 am »
I think we can all agree that watching the Spurs stomp the Heat last night was more exciting than a weeks worth of soccer!

I didn't realize the NBA season was still going on. Haven't watched an NBA game in over a decade.  Basketball while fun to play is boring to watch.

Yada

James Ford

« Reply #4023 on: June 16, 2014, 10:38:48 am »
There's actually more French guys on the Spurs than there are on the French soccer team.

atomic

« Reply #4024 on: June 16, 2014, 03:31:42 pm »
So  I recorded the German/Portugal game and was avoiding this and any sport site until I saw the game.  Then I went on Facebook and of course someone posted in German the final score.  Oh well I guess it will still be fun to watch them win.

hutch

« Reply #4025 on: June 17, 2014, 10:26:28 am »
Awesome US win..... even if I don't understand why they virtually stopped playing after the first goal and Bradley looked as I bad as I can recall (WTF?)

I think the World Cup has caught on in the US... I mean just looking at the coverage on television etc, the viewing parties in places like Chicago....

Doesn't mean everyone is going to enjoy it though... ;D

atomic

« Reply #4026 on: June 17, 2014, 10:55:12 am »
Awesome US win..... even if I don't understand why they virtually stopped playing after the first goal and Bradley looked as I bad as I can recall (WTF?)

I think the World Cup has caught on in the US... I mean just looking at the coverage on television etc, the viewing parties in places like Chicago....

Ghana was such the better team.  US got very lucky.  Overall a very boring soccer game.  I guess the US hope is that Ghana beats Portugal.  I see them losing to Germany horribly and losing to Portugal.  So I guess that would be their best hope and hope to advance on goal differential.

I like how soccer players need to be carted off the field for doing such things as running down the field and kicking the ball.  I have never seen a sport with so many injuries due to nothing.  What a bunch of wimps.

hutch

« Reply #4027 on: June 17, 2014, 11:08:18 am »

Ghana was such the better team.  US got very lucky.  Overall a very boring soccer game.  I guess the US hope is that Ghana beats Portugal.  I see them losing to Germany horribly and losing to Portugal.  So I guess that would be their best hope and hope to advance on goal differential.

I like how soccer players need to be carted off the field for doing such things as running down the field and kicking the ball.  I have never seen a sport with so many injuries due to nothing.  What a bunch of wimps.

you're such a low level troll.....not worth my time.

atomic

« Reply #4028 on: June 17, 2014, 11:57:22 am »

you're such a low level troll.....not worth my time.

Let me know what was the trolling?  The complaining about  how wimpy soccer players are or how bad the US team is?  I was talking with my wife last night and we agreed that the only US  soccer player of any era any American people in general know is Alexi Lalas. 

vansmack

« Reply #4029 on: June 17, 2014, 12:04:38 pm »
Bradley looked as I bad as I can recall (WTF?)

This.  I've been on the US as much as anyone about possession, and he's the key.  His poor play was both surprising and disappointing.

Thankfully, Ghana was horrible in the final third, otherwise, the result would have been much different.  Happy about the 3 points, but not confident in the future.
27>34

lagas

« Reply #4030 on: June 17, 2014, 12:33:29 pm »

This.  I've been on the US as much as anyone about possession, and he's the key.  His poor play was both surprising and disappointing.

Thankfully, Ghana was horrible in the final third, otherwise, the result would have been much different.  Happy about the 3 points, but not confident in the future.

The good thing is that Portugal is reeling and the US knows where it has to improve. Emotionally Portugal and the US couldn't be in more different places, all this favors the US, IMO.

Same thing between Chile and Spain. They are experiencing some sort of identity crisis and we know what we have to do. The game will be extremely fun (if nothing 'suspicious' happens) and nerver-racking at the same time.
zorra

hutch

« Reply #4031 on: June 17, 2014, 12:42:44 pm »

The good thing is that Portugal is reeling and the US knows where it has to improve. Emotionally Portugal and the US couldn't be in more different places, all this favors the US, IMO.

Same thing between Chile and Spain. They are experiencing some sort of identity crisis and we know what we have to do. The game will be extremely fun (if nothing 'suspicious' happens) and nerver-racking at the same time.

not to mention I believe two Portugal starters are out....Its important to remember that Portugal had to go to a playoff to qualify (vs Sweden)... people think because they have Ronaldo that they are a powerhouse but I would put them a notch below..Ronaldo with Real is different than Ronaldo with Portugal....

i would love to see Chile take out Spain and I think they can do it

every game is nerve wracking but when it involves your country its almost hard to watch.....I was born in the US but raised Argentine until I was about 13....I grew up watching Argentina and the World Cup is all that matters...but every WC I find myself more and more interested in the US team... I'm just so happy that the US won the game yesterday....I just think it sends a message "Hey, we can play too!" which has to be great for all the little kids who play soccer....

hutch

« Reply #4032 on: June 17, 2014, 01:19:33 pm »
Clint Dempsey getting his nose broken was pretty brutal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ajSDnYrXHw

atomic

« Reply #4033 on: June 17, 2014, 01:58:05 pm »
Clint Dempsey getting his nose broken was pretty brutal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ajSDnYrXHw

That was nothing.  In hockey he wouldn't even have left the ice.  Soccer players are such babies.

atomic

« Reply #4034 on: June 17, 2014, 01:59:59 pm »

not to mention I believe two Portugal starters are out....Its important to remember that Portugal had to go to a playoff to qualify (vs Sweden)... people think because they have Ronaldo that they are a powerhouse but I would put them a notch below..Ronaldo with Real is different than Ronaldo with Portugal....

i would love to see Chile take out Spain and I think they can do it

every game is nerve wracking but when it involves your country its almost hard to watch.....I was born in the US but raised Argentine until I was about 13....I grew up watching Argentina and the World Cup is all that matters...but every WC I find myself more and more interested in the US team... I'm just so happy that the US won the game yesterday....I just think it sends a message "Hey, we can play too!" which has to be great for all the little kids who play soccer....

You forget that the US was horrible yesterday.  Basically they did nothing for 95 percent of the game.  That won't work against Portugal.  Anyway Germany is doing well.  Although I think they had the refs on their side in that game.