Author Topic: dylan likes everything to be old and rich, like him  (Read 11416 times)

walkonby

dylan likes everything to be old and rich, like him
« on: August 22, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »
in a recent interview (rolling stone, i think) he states that all music of the last twenty years sucks, and calls it nothing more than "static."  my favorite part was when he said that he believes in free downloading, because the music is worthless, anyway.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
Re: dylan likes everything to be old and rich, like him
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 01:55:00 pm »
typical Dylan assholishness.  gotta love that man.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 01:59:00 pm »
I heard he was crap during his show in Frederick this past weekend.
(_|_)

ggw

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Joe M.:
Not surprising, since you called the show crap before it even happened.

walkonby

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 02:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Not surprising, since you called the show crap before it even happened. [/b]
oh no he didn't!

ggw

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 02:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:

oh no he didn't! [/b]
yuh huh

Vas Deferens

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 02:45:00 pm »
My boss went to the show and thought he was crap...and I saw Dylan last year and thought the same  ;)  so there.

(_|_)

anarchist

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 03:45:00 pm »
the funniest part of the show was that no photos were allowed (i guess?).  the bouncers up front would point at several people during each song and yell at them.  even people people with cell phones.  i kind of wished i had brought my camera + flash.  i would have blinded the f out of them.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 05:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  in a recent interview (rolling stone, i think) he states that all music of the last twenty years sucks, and calls it nothing more than "static."  my favorite part was when he said that he believes in free downloading, because the music is worthless, anyway.
i thought he was referring to the quality of sound on a cd. . .something that sir hc certainly has had issues with.
OU812

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 05:13:00 pm »
excerpt from the article on  Wired

best quote, talking about his latest record: "Even these songs probably sounded 10 times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."

cds are small... dangnabit, hows ya gunna fit good sound on sumtin' dat small?!?  ya need soemthing the size of vinyl to put decent sound on!

and given his age and the amount of live shows he's done, what are the chances that he has anything close to a decent sense of hearing left?  answer: none.

what a douche.
<sig>

Venerable Bede

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 05:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  best quote, talking about his latest record: "Even these songs probably sounded 10 times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."

cds are small... dangnabit, hows ya gunna fit good sound on sumtin' dat small?!?  ya need soemthing the size of vinyl to put decent sound on!

and given his age and the amount of live shows he's done, what are the chances that he has anything close to a decent sense of hearing left?  answer: none.

what a douche.
i believe that there are quite a few people who would agree with dylan's sentiment.  although, i remember dave mustaine saying something along the lines of "if they think that music sounds bad in digital, it just means that they suck."

and calling dylan a douche.  that is just wrong.  i mean, it's not k-fed saying that digital music sounds awful.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  and calling dylan a douche.  that is just wrong.  i mean, it's not k-fed saying that digital music sounds awful.
Did you just compare Dylan and k-fed?  My how far you've come...
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »
i believe that there are quite a few people who would agree with dylan's sentiment.
yeah, the old digital-vs-analog debate - sorry, definitely didn't mean to resurrect that dead horse.  

although, i remember dave mustaine saying something along the lines of "if they think that music sounds bad in digital, it just means that they suck."
:)  

my favorite quote on the subject was an interview with some Big Name producer (forget which one) wherein he said "i use analog for its sounds, and use digital for its non-sound".

and calling dylan a douche. that is just wrong. i mean, it's not k-fed saying that digital music sounds awful.
dylan is 65 years old - his hearing is damaged by both age and countless performances where he was blasted by the monitors for hours on end.  result: i'm dubious of his ability to comment on sound quality.  maybe douche was too strong, but he seemed awfully certain about the modern-day sound quality thing.  then again, maybe i'm the one being an incredulous douche  :)

i certainly  respect what he's done in terms of song writing, lyrics, and development of the folk and rock genres.
<sig>

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 09:23:00 pm »
and that horrible motorcycle crash...

i love Dylan to lots of itty bitty pieces.  he has made some outstanding music.  as a person though, i can't say the same thing.  he's been known to do and say some pretty rude things.  still doesn't make him any less genius.  and i wouldn't ever call him a douche.  an asshole, and especially for what he did to Warhol... but not a douche.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 12:48:00 am »
and i wouldn't ever call him a douche. an asshole, and especially for what he did to Warhol... but not a douche.  
really?  personally, an asshole is worse than a douche, in my vocab.  but i'm not from these parts, so what do i know... maybe douche is worse/less respectful/etc.
<sig>