Author Topic: Lollapalooza 2004  (Read 11330 times)

ggw

Re: Lollapalooza 2004
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2004, 01:03:00 pm »
Morrissey, Flaming Lips Set For Lollapalooza

Morrissey, Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth and String Cheese Incident are among the acts confirmed for the 2004 Lollapalooza tour, Billboard.com has learned. This year's event will mark the debut of a two-day format and a more diverse musical lineup. Tour founder Perry Farrell will also be involved as a DJ or host, although his band Jane's Addiction is not expected to be on the bill. Offers are also out to such acts as Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Le Tigre and the Fire Theft.

"The only theme to the whole thing is eclectic music not driven by the commercial marketplace," says Marc Geiger, the agent for Lollapalooza at the William Morris Agency, one of the founders of the festival. "Lollapalooza is different from year to year, if you look at it historically. Some years it was more indie, some years more dark."

Two days means more bands, Geiger points out. "There are just too many great bands, and the one-day rock festival with 13 acts format has been co-opted by the radio shows," he says. "What we're doing is more akin to the great European festivals that originally inspired Lollapalooza, as well as [events like] Coachella and Bonnaroo. The two-day format will once again differentiate Lollapalooza from what everybody else is doing."

The pioneering rock festival returned after a five-year absence in 2003 and grossed $13.7 million from 25 shows reported to Billboard Boxscores. The lineup featured Jane's Addiction, Queens Of The Stone Age, Incubus, Audioslave, the Donnas and A Perfect Circle, among others. High production costs led to the cancellation of two shows at nontraditional venues, but most dates performed relatively well.

But with the 2003 outing somewhat less than a home run, why come back with a two-day fest? "This year has nothing to do with last year," says Geiger, who did not work on last year's show. "We're moving forward and offering more value. Ticket prices are looking to come significantly down from last year."

Farrell launched Lollapalooza in 1991 with a bill that featured the final appearances of Jane's Addiction until the group reunited in 1997. The tour's best year was 1994, when it reported more than $21 million in grosses. The last year before the hiatus, 1997, was its weakest, with $7.4 million reported from 24 shows with Snoop Dogg, Korn, Tool, Tricky and others.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000473622

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2004, 01:05:00 pm »
You'd think they'd at least have one band i like...call it the law of averages...but nope.

jkeisenh

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2004, 01:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  "What we're doing is more akin to the great European festivals that originally inspired Lollapalooza, as well as [events like] Coachella and Bonnaroo. The two-day format will once again differentiate Lollapalooza from what everybody else is doing."

Ummm... didn't you just list at least two other Americans and tons 'o Europeans that do it?  And then call it different?

bearman🐻

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2004, 01:16:00 pm »
I'd like to see Morrissey and Sonic Youth, but why would I go see them at Lollapaloser when I can see them perform at the 9:30? I've seen both of them here. Flaming Lips have played here too. It doesn't make any sense to me. Of course with Coachella, that's a line-up that I wouldn't miss, mostly because of the Pixies...but there are a ton of other worthwhile bands to see too. I guess it's also more of an "event".

mankie

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2004, 01:22:00 pm »
I hope to God this doesn't mean we'll have to suffer through Lollawhateveritscalled to see Moz! He better do some dates on his own.

Bags

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2004, 01:22:00 pm »
I hope these aren't the US tour dates from Morrissey.  I'd be interested to check him out, but not at Lollapalooza.  Though BRMC and Le Tigre would be cool, I'll bet the two day format results in daily lineups just too diluted for me to be interested in.

Are there even plans for a HFStival this spring? (You know, we started out with one of the founding and best all-day radio station sponsored summer festivals, and now it's one of the worst...)

ggw

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2004, 01:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
 Are there even plans for a HFStival this spring?
According to everyone's favorite part-time poster - Jakez468 - the HFStival will be May 22 and 23.

http://www.hfstival.com/yabbse/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=10180

Bags

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2004, 01:41:00 pm »
Wow, at FedEx Field!  There goes the metro option....but it's true.  If it's at FedEx, wouldn't you expect HUGE bands?  And, why two days??

ggw

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
From MTV.com

Lollapalooza 2004, the festival's ninth incarnation, promises to deliver two full days of indie rock, fringe culture and bad sunburn at each stop this time out, with Morrissey, String Cheese Incident, Sonic Youth, Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse and the Polyphonic Spree headlining the main stage.

These acts are part of a roster of more than 30 bands that will join the roving festival for its 20-city trek. More artists and a full itinerary are expected to be announced later this week.

"This summer we will embody the spirit of the Gypsy, the sense of exhilaration; traveling by caravan! Thirty bands and buses of artisans sleeping over each and every city. The days and nights will be filled with mischief," said Lollapalooza founder Perry Farrell, who plays ringmaster to the road show yet again. As in previous years, Lollapalooza will also feature a traveling community devoted to political activism, cutting-edge technology and mass gaming.

If the thought of shelling out for two days of tickets is a turnoff, don't fret. Promoters are lowering Lollapalooza's ticket price.

mankie

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2004, 01:04:00 pm »
Heard Moz's single from the new album last night on XM...Moz fans will be happy, but I don't think he'll attract any new one's as it's very typical Morrissey.

"Irish Blood, English Heart"
 He must be singing about my Rory!

"Irish blood English heart is what I'm made of,
 So there's no one in this world that I'm afraid of"

Bags

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2004, 01:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bollocks:
  "Irish blood English heart is what I'm made of,So there's no one in this world that I'm afraid of"
I've always maintained that my mix of Irish (75%) and English explains all that inner turmoil plaguing me...   ;)

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2004, 01:15:00 pm »
Me too. Yeah, that's the ticket. And throw in some German too.

Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by Bollocks:
  "Irish blood English heart is what I'm made of,So there's no one in this world that I'm afraid of"
I've always maintained that my mix of Irish (75%) and English explains all that inner turmoil plaguing me...    ;)  [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2004, 01:23:00 pm »
Can i state an umpopular opinion?

I think Morrisey's solo stuff is awful.  I have never liked it.

but i would LOVE to see Mankie at Lollapalooza.   :)

Bags

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2004, 01:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

but i would LOVE to see Mankie at Lollapalooza.    :)  
Sonick, I'm with you, kind of.  Not all the solo stuff is awful, but I never listen to it. It's definitely subpar comparet to, well, you know.   Still, he's a trip and a half to see...

mankie

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2004, 01:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

but i would LOVE to see Mankie at Lollapalooza.    :)  
You're entitled to your opinion...but I think 'awful' is a bit strong for every song he's ever done solo, the must be at least one you can stomach.

I've done my share of festivals and crap...I just don't have the patience for them anymore...college pukes drunk, or pretending to be drunk all over the damn place, young women flashing their tits like it's never been done before.  :roll:  waiting 9 hours for a pee, then another 9 for a beer, so you end up the whole day either in line for a beer or a pee. Some save the world kid trying to recruit you to their meaningless cause. Some drunk girl hears your mancunian accent and automatically assumes you're with one of the bands so starts flirting to get backstage....no thanks, not anymore.