Author Topic: Lollapalooza 2004  (Read 11331 times)

ggw

Re: Lollapalooza 2004
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2004, 11:07:00 am »
Broken Social Scene, the Walkmen, the Killers, the Von Bondies, Secret Machines, Bumblebeez, Sahara Hotnights, Danger Mouse and the Datsuns have been added to this summer's Lollapalooza festival, Billboard.com has learned. The tour will kick off July 14 outside Seattle and will feature its first two-day lineup.

One night's lineup will sport the above bands as well as Morrissey, Sonic Youth, Le Tigre, PJ Harvey, Modest Mouse and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. The second night includes String Cheese Incident, Gomez, Flaming Lips, the Thrills, the Polyphonic Spree, the Coup, Sound Tribe Sector 9, Elbow, Wheat and Dresden Dolls. DJ Peretz (tour co-founder Perry Farrell) will perform with both bills.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000497429

godsshoeshine

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2004, 11:22:00 am »
goddamn! that first night is...really interesting. lips/gomez would be nice, but add bss and the walkmen? i might have to go
o/\o

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2004, 11:27:00 am »
I thought it was sort of unanimous that BSS was putrid live?

redsock

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2004, 11:34:00 am »
Originally posted by My Balls Can DJ:
  I thought it was sort of unanimous that BSS was putrid live?
No, I liked them.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2004, 11:56:00 am »
i really enjoyed that show. sounded like a 50/50 split to me.

and the ball dude hates everything anyway
o/\o

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2004, 12:04:00 pm »
I didn't see them.

50/50 aint exactly a stellar endorsement, given that people were there to see them.

And the Post said they were godawful, rare when the Post is THAT negative.

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  i really enjoyed that show. sounded like a 50/50 split to me.

and the ball dude hates everything anyway

godsshoeshine

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2004, 12:08:00 pm »
the little jewish guys at the post just hate canadians.

seemed like it was more like case of "it clicks for some people and not all".

glad you formed such a definative opinion without attending
o/\o

sonickteam2

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2004, 12:19:00 pm »
I guess the real question is, where are they playing?  I mean, Nissan Pavilion?  because thats REALLY lame.  If they had it at Bull Run (god forbid) or wherever they had Lollapalooza before, then thats cool.  but pavilions suck cause unless you have good seats, you're watching the WHOLE thing from the lawn? lame lame lame.

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2004, 12:21:00 pm »
The Post, Pollard, and Mark E. Smith all panned it. How much more definitive than that can you get?

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  the little jewish guys at the post just hate canadians.

seemed like it was more like case of "it clicks for some people and not all".

glad you formed such a definative opinion without attending

sonickteam2

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2004, 12:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by My Balls Can DJ:
  The Post, Pollard, and Mark E. Smith all panned it. How much more definitive than that can you get?
we would need Shemp's opinion too, i presume  ;)

godsshoeshine

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2004, 12:25:00 pm »
wow, i butchered definitive. looking back at the thread:

Originally posted by pollard:
  I wish I had sold my ticket, as I stood in line I debated getting rid of it several times.  Instead I went in as Dears ended, was rather bored by Stars, and left before BSS.  But it was nice to see those who I saw and to talk to Sparks again.
http://www.930.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006475;p=2
 so...mark e. and the post panned it. actually much better than 50/50
o/\o

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2004, 01:43:00 pm »
hmmm - That first night looks pretty damn nice.  I might actually consider going if they have it somewhere like Nissan or Merriweather. I don't have the patience to deal with the all-day-general-admission-festival-in-the-field thing.  Gimme a decent reserved seat in the shade any day.

Bags

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2004, 01:48:00 pm »
Ditto to first day....though I'd love to see Wheat and Elbow would be good, but that first day blows away the second, in my opinion.

While I agree with you, Skeeter, on loving the chance for a seat, PLEASE not Nissan.  Though maybe for an all day event at least the traffic going in may not be so bad (?)

PS, I was mixed on the Broken Social Scene, but the misses were pretty big misses (not enough to make up for the hits overall).

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2004, 02:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  While I agree with you, Skeeter, on loving the chance for a seat, PLEASE not Nissan.  Though maybe for an all day event at least the traffic going in may not be so bad (?)

PS, I was mixed on the Broken Social Scene, but the misses were pretty big misses (not enough to make up for the hits overall).
Believe me, I hate Nissan too.  But for that lineup, I could deal with it.  I'd be thrilled if it was at Merriweather.  I love that place.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I really liked the BSS show.

Lamb007

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2004, 02:38:00 pm »
Ditto on Merriweather.  Everyone loves to slag on that place, but I would love to see every big concert there. The best shows I've ever seen were up there.  And Radiohead last summer...the show was so good I forgot about the traffic jam getting in.  Nissan is awful but it's better than Charlestown Racetrack.  Those were long, painful days when Lolla was up there.

Originally posted by Skeeter:

Originally posted by Bags:

Believe me, I hate Nissan too.  But for that lineup, I could deal with it.  I'd be thrilled if it was at Merriweather.  I love that place.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I really liked the BSS show. [/b]