Author Topic: The Darkness, April 6  (Read 3067 times)

RiddickBowe

The Darkness, April 6
« on: January 27, 2004, 10:34:00 am »
Just read on Pollstar that the Darkness are coming on April 6.  I've been seeing them a decent amount on MTV2 and their concerts look like they'd be a good time.  Anyone see them when they were in the area last year?

IRSglamrock

Re: The Darkness, April 6
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 04:47:00 pm »
i missed them last year. definatly going this time around.   :D

Dandy01

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 04:50:00 pm »
they seem very gimmicky, hope there's some talent to back that up

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 04:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by RiddickBowe:
  Just read on Pollstar that the Darkness are coming on April 6.  I've been seeing them a decent amount on MTV2 and their concerts look like they'd be a good time.  Anyone see them when they were in the area last year?
I saw Thin Lizzy the first time around.
27>34

starcrash

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 04:57:00 pm »
The 2004 version of Spinal Tap is in the house!

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 05:22:00 pm »
The guy who signed the Darkness, who I believe Kosmo knows or kind of knows, posts regularly on another board I read and he claims that they are very serious about what they do, and they don't consider their band a joke at all, and play the music they play because they grew up listening to it.  That being said, I can't stand them.

grotty

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 05:23:00 pm »
I'd never argue that they are a great band - but they sure look like a fun band.

Especially if you grew up during the 80's metal explosion and have a deep rooted appreciation for all things metal...\nn/
    :D  

Why do bands and music have to always be so serious anyway?:

Irony Maidens

I'm looking forward to a seeing them sometime this Spring. Then again, I loved the recent Monster Magnet tour with burning guitars and strippers.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 05:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:
 [QB] I'd never argue that they are a great band - but they sure look like a fun band.

Especially if you grew up during the 80's metal explosion and have a deep rooted appreciation for all things metal...\nn/
     :D    

Why do bands and music have to always be so serious anyway?:

>> I think Grotty has an excellent point...why the hell does rock have to be so serious??....a friend who is a reviewer for a well known national rag in New York saw these guys and said he had a blast! Of all the shows he has to go see he said he hadn't seen anyone having so much fun in years. I'm for sure going to see what this is all about.

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 05:37:00 pm »
MTV2 had a one hour concert of theirs on earlier this week (MTV2 UK's 5th birthday or something).

I could stomach about the first 10 minutes.  The hairband thing just wasn't my thing back in the day and little has changed.

Check your listings for a re-broadcast.
27>34

thirsty moore

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 05:40:00 pm »
Aww c'mon, you're a Ted Leo fan aren't you?

Originally posted by vansmack:
 I saw Thin Lizzy the first time around.

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 06:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Aww c'mon, you're a Ted Leo fan aren't you?

Guilty as charged.  And still laughing....
27>34

thirsty moore

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 06:39:00 pm »
I'll let it slide.  To be honest, I haven't heard a thing by The Darkness.  But from what I've read, I don't think I really want to.

ggw

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 06:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  I'll let it slide.  To be honest, I haven't heard a thing by The Darkness.  But from what I've read, I don't think I really want to.
Dude, have you forgotten your roots?  Weren't you at Castle Donnington to see the Scorps, back in the day?

thirsty moore

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2004, 07:41:00 pm »
You see?  That's it.  I don't think Darkness could match up to the Monsters of Rock.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 Dude, have you forgotten your roots?  Weren't you at Castle Donnington to see the Scorps, back in the day?

rich_WDC

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2004, 07:51:00 pm »
I saw 'em in November at Fletchers.

They are serious -- not a joke on their end, but anyone not into the music can find lots to laugh about--from the lead's candy-striped outfit to the bassist's hair and moustache to the songs, which are spinaltapish take on Van Halen/hairrock. And the lead's Freddie Mercury-falsetto voice could make one wonder why he isn't just in a Queen tribute band.

But...they do rock and the songs are above mediocre and sometimes pretty hummable.  Definitely moshable.  And the lead plays guitar also--not just a pretty boy w/ a high voice.

Fletchers crowd I think liked 'em.  I would check em out again.

A bunch of beers will make it an enjoyable night, easily.