Author Topic: Interesting topic (for a change)  (Read 3733 times)

mankie

Interesting topic (for a change)
« on: January 27, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
Remember, mankie said all empires must fall, and just as Ricky Gervais said when accepting the Golden Globe...."I come from a small place called England, you know, we used to run the world before you lot"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3430199.stm

Celeste

Re: Interesting topic (for a change)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 11:13:00 am »
Yeah...and I'm reading that book called Fat Land (just started) in which the author observes that the first fad diet came out in England at the height of its imperialism, and now the U.S. has such high obesity and all kinds of fad diets...another similarity. (Strangely enough, though, the author's main point seems to be that poorer Americans have more of a risk of obesity)

thirsty moore

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 11:14:00 am »
They certainly aren't talking about anything new there.  Annoyed Americans have been saying this for years.

Originally posted by mankie:
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3430199.stm

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 11:26:00 am »
When are you going to return what you have stolen from others?

thirsty moore

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 11:30:00 am »
I know the US hasn't really helped the Native Americans out at all, but didn't the Britain kick all the natives off of Diego Garcia forcing them into poverty?

mankie

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 11:39:00 am »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
  When are you going to return what you have stolen from others?
We'll return the sculptures to the Greeks if you return this country to it's rightful owners....deal?

mankie

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Celeste:
   (Strangely enough, though, the author's main point seems to be that poorer Americans have more of a risk of obesity)
That's more due to a lack of education on nutrition don't you think?

Celeste

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 11:48:00 am »

(Strangely enough, though, the author's main point seems to be that poorer Americans have more of a risk of obesity)
That's more due to a lack of education on nutrition don't you think? [/b]
Well, this will be getting off topic, but, there are a few different opinions out there on why this seems to be...

I recently read an article that talked about a lack of quality, fresh produce in inner-city grocery stores...some say also, that crappy, processed food is cheaper. In Nickel and Dimed, that author suggested that many poor people buy fast food because they are living in hotels/motels without kitchens or pots and pans to prepare regular meals...education may be just a very small part of it, especially because the information out there about food and nutrition is so varied, often conflicting and confusing, anyway...

mankie

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 11:57:00 am »

Well, this will be getting off topic, but, there are a few different opinions out there on why this seems to be...

I recently read an article that talked about a lack of quality, fresh produce in inner-city grocery stores...some say also, that crappy, processed food is cheaper. In Nickel and Dimed, that author suggested that many poor people buy fast food because they are living in hotels/motels without kitchens or pots and pans to prepare regular meals...education may be just a very small part of it, especially because the information out there about food and nutrition is so varied, often conflicting and confusing, anyway... [/b]
Those lazy bastards should get off their fat arses and get a job so they can pay their own rent on an apartment and buy their own healthy food, and aren't sponging of the welfare state, or maybe sue the fast food chains because they didn't know it would turn their arses into lard.

Do you like my Rhett impersonation?

Samantha

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 12:02:00 pm »
 Those lazy bastards should get off their fat arses and get a job so they can pay their own rent on an apartment and buy their own healthy food, and aren't sponging of the welfare state, or maybe sue the fast food chains because they didn't know it would turn their arses into lard.

Do you like my Rhett impersonation? [/QB]
LOL!!!  spot on!  (poor rhett  :p )

Celeste

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 12:03:00 pm »
that sounds like a normal makie post to me...and not one without some degree of valid point

thirsty moore

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 12:05:00 pm »
About education on nutrition... While education may help, I think most of the problem is due to eating patterns started at a young age.  Simply saying eating junk food is bad isn't going to stop someone from eating junk food.  Healthier foods need to be introduced into the diet.

Celeste

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 12:15:00 pm »
yeah...and "junk" food is actually addictive, and many items have ingredients that people don't even understand...or that they wouldn't expect to be in particular foods..."hidden" sugars, fats, etc...

walkman

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2004, 12:48:00 pm »

I recently read an article that talked about a lack of quality, fresh produce in inner-city grocery stores...some say also, that crappy, processed food is cheaper. In Nickel and Dimed, that author suggested that many poor people buy fast food because they are living in hotels/motels without kitchens or pots and pans to prepare regular meals...education may be just a very small part of it, especially because the information out there about food and nutrition is so varied, often conflicting and confusing, anyway... [/b]
the bottom line is that proper nutrition is expensive, especially in a society where sustainable, organic agriculture is a boutique industry...and two liters of pepsi are about .99 cents.

Celeste

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2004, 12:59:00 pm »
that's kind of true...you can buy a loaf of white bread for like a buck, but a loaf of whole grain bread is over three dollars...there ARE creative ways to eat healthy for not alot of dough, but many poor don't may not the time or resources to figure all that out, plus, the pleasure and buzz from sugary and fatty foods probably is a comfort in otherwise difficult lives...