Author Topic: Grammys  (Read 8790 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Grammys
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2023, 11:42:43 am »
So I highly recommend anyone who uses evil streaming services to check out the "Soul Jazz Records presents BOOMBOX: Early Independent Hip Hop, Electro and Disco Rap 1979-82" series of compilations.  There are physical releases of these but as imports they are likely expensive.

Anyways, most of these tracks pre-date "The Message" which is where the PBS Hip Hop series ends the first episode.  Not sure why this part of the development of Hip Hop gets glossed over as these tracks are almost always done with actual musicians and rappers.  The tracks tend to be a boasting and partying  theme, but that makes sense as prior to "The Message" this was the norm.  Even the Smithsonian Hip-Hop boxset only includes a couple of these early jams.... 

I also enjoy Joey Negro's Electro compilations of the early Rap/Hip-Hop as well..
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2023, 12:04:54 pm »
Yeah I always try to pick up those early independent rap releases…. Sugarhill wasn’t the first….stuff like on Enjoy.

I will keep an eye out for these Soul Jazz comps…

Thanks K

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2023, 01:02:21 pm »
Wet leg… next stop, the Anthem!
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2023, 10:29:16 am »
Never seen as much post Grammy Banter as seen for this year...

some news outlet called Bonnie Raitt an unknown blues artist as if her win was a shocker against Adele, etc

the BBC had to apologize for showing an image of Viola Davis (newest EGOT winner) during a segment on Beyonce

oh and the MAGA outage over the "demonic" performance by Sam Smith coupled with that Pfiser sponsored the award show..  THINK OF THE CHILDREN

there were also a couple minor skirmishes
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2023, 11:47:17 am »
Never seen as much post Grammy Banter as seen for this year...

some news outlet called Bonnie Raitt an unknown blues artist as if her win was a shocker against Adele, etc

the BBC had to apologize for showing an image of Viola Davis (newest EGOT winner) during a segment on Beyonce

oh and the MAGA outage over the "demonic" performance by Sam Smith coupled with that Pfiser sponsored the award show..  THINK OF THE CHILDREN

there were also a couple minor skirmishes

Beyonce fan's ungraciousness toward Harry Styles. Taylor Swift standing up for Harry Styles.

Starsky

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2023, 12:10:39 pm »
I didn’t know anyone still listened to Bonnie. Love her so am glad to see her win but feels like way out of touch.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2023, 12:18:28 pm »
her win but feels like way out of touch.
"Grammys out of touch," reports everyone for decades.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2023, 12:35:27 pm »
True…reminds me of Steely Dan winning with Two Against Nature… or Herbie Hancock also for best album

But record of the year usually is a more plugged in category

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2023, 01:47:53 pm »
I was looking at the nominees for "Song Of The Year" and one does have wonder if the votes just got real split between all nominated and Bonnie as Justin pointed out was a name a certain segment of the voter recognized.  Seeing as Bonnie's  album was released independently by her, I can't believe there was a huge PR/label push to get the votes on this one.  There are numerous huge artists on that list on different labels...

and wow the category Wet Leg won in "Best Alternative Music Album" had some serious weak sauce nominees... Big Thief, Arcade Fire, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Bjork.  The Bjork album was a good for a couple of listens but nothing to get overly excited about...
T.Rex

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2023, 01:50:30 pm »
For the big four awards, the Grammy's historically reward "people who play instruments" over "people who do not play instruments" (with a priority on instruments that existed 50 years ago); "people who play rock/pop" over "people who preform R&B/rap;" and to a lesser extent "women" over "men". This Bonnie Raitt victory isn't even surprising to me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 01:55:10 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2023, 01:52:18 pm »
If Beyonce simply picked up a guitar, learned three chords, and pretended to play in rhythm guitar on her next LP, she'd win a Record/Song/Album of the Year easily.

Why do you think Steely Dan and Dylan won over Radiohead (Kid A and OKC, respectively)? They played "real instruments" not a beep and boop machine. Why did Herbie Hancock or Arcade Fire win? Why does Lauren Hill have an LP of the Year but not Kendrick Lamar? Norah Jones or Shawn Colvin over their male analogue, Frank Turner? This code is not hard to crack.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 02:01:49 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

Bagley

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2023, 02:07:21 pm »
"Other big wins and moments from the evening included Molly Tuttle’s first Grammy, in which she was given the Best Bluegrass Album Grammy for her album Crooked Tree with Golden Highway"

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2023, 02:32:59 pm »
They played "real instruments" not a beep and boop machine.

Get your grubby little hands off my beep boop machine!

Space Freely

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2023, 02:47:10 pm »
I was looking at the nominees for "Song Of The Year" and one does have wonder if the votes just got real split between all nominated and Bonnie as Justin pointed out was a name a certain segment of the voter recognized.  Seeing as Bonnie's  album was released independently by her, I can't believe there was a huge PR/label push to get the votes on this one.  There are numerous huge artists on that list on different labels...

and wow the category Wet Leg won in "Best Alternative Music Album" had some serious weak sauce nominees... Big Thief, Arcade Fire, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Bjork.  The Bjork album was a good for a couple of listens but nothing to get overly excited about...

Kind of disagree.. KEXP listeners had Wet Leg at #1, Yeah Yeah Yeah's at #2, and Big Thief at #4. And Big Thief was also a critic's favorite.

https://www.kexp.org/countdowns/top-903-albums-of-2022/
https://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/score/metascore/year/filtered?year_selected=2022&distribution=&sort=desc&view=detailed

Space Freely

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2023, 03:14:26 pm »
If Beyonce simply picked up a guitar, learned three chords, and pretended to play in rhythm guitar on her next LP, she'd win a Record/Song/Album of the Year easily.

Why do you think Steely Dan and Dylan won over Radiohead (Kid A and OKC, respectively)? They played "real instruments" not a beep and boop machine. Why did Herbie Hancock or Arcade Fire win? Why does Lauren Hill have an LP of the Year but not Kendrick Lamar? Norah Jones or Shawn Colvin over their male analogue, Frank Turner? This code is not hard to crack.

Outkast and Whitney Houston both won album of the year, and i'm pretty sure that none of them played an instrument.