Author Topic: Wed Warehouse show/The National Thurs  (Read 16194 times)

Bags

Wed Warehouse show/The National Thurs
« on: February 23, 2004, 12:48:00 pm »
This looks like pretty interesting show(see below), and I haven't been to the Warehouse yet.  Thoughts?

Also, I'm wondering about the Walkmen & The National at 9:30 on Thursday.  I've heard a lot about The National here on the board; they're at Black Cat March 7th, in the midst of "crazy ass" week, so I'm thinking catching them Thursday might make sense, to be sure I see them.  Don't know a thing about the Walkmen.  Just looking for some feedback....

Warehouse Next Door
 1017 7th St. NW
 8:00 doors * $7

Wednesday Feb 25

THE IMPOSSIBLE SHAPES
 > Psych Pop from Bloomington featuring members of Kill Rock Stars' John Wilkes Booze.  Secretly Canadian Records

LIKE LANGUAGE
 > power trio playing angular melodic sounds of DC (x-Q and not U)

HEAD OF FEMUR
 > ex-Bright Eyes playing Elephant 6 inspired psych jams.

For their fourth proper full-length, We Like It Wild, Bloomington's Impossible Shapes ventured into the Indiana State Forest and emerged with
 campfire-smoked clothes, pine needles in their hair, and 14 jangly psych-folk-pop tunes perfectly built for stoners from '60s-era London to modern-day Santa Cruz. Frontman Chris Barth's gentle tenor is set to the sometimes ethereal, sometimes jammy revolving guitar and rhythm section of multi-instrumentalists Aaron Deer, Jason Groth, and Mark Rice. Given the and's many influences, comparisons abound to everyone from Derek and the Dominos to the entire Elephant 6 collective. But the band's own press paints a more vivid picture, imagining the goofballs "on Vashti Bunyan's cart-ride across England's countryside, hoofing it during the day, setting up camp at night, chasing dogs and smoking tea into the reamscape." Bring your special Earl Grey when the Impossible Shapes play with Head of Femur and Like Language at 9 p.m. at the Warehouse Next Door, 1017 7th St. NW. $7. (202) 783-3933.
      -Anne Marson, Washington City Paper

The core of this mini-orchestra is a trio of transplanted Nebraskans, including Bright Eyes drummer Matt Focht, who brings a breathless enthusiasm to his vocals. From the ening "January on Strike," which packs nearly an album's worth of ideas into 128 seconds, Head of Femur announces grandiose ambitions that suggest Chicago's answer to the dense, neo-psychedelic indie-rock albums of the Elephant 6 collective (Apples in Stereo, Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel). They occasionally over-reach, and could stand to learn a lesson or two from the compact architecture of Brian Eno's "The True Wheel," which they cover faithfully. But the thrills far outweigh the disappointments, and "Ringodom of Proctor" is filled with small epiphanies, particularly in the way the strings and horns are used to accent and augment the melodies, rather than to simply smother them.  
     - Greg Kot, Chicago Tribune (Originally published Aug. 14, 2003)

http://www.headoffemur.com
 http://www.secretlycanadian.com

starcrash

Re: Wed Warehouse show/The National Thurs
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 01:04:00 pm »
The Impossible Shapes are very good.  I highly recommend this show.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 01:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Also, I'm wondering about the Walkmen & The National at 9:30 on Thursday.  I've heard a lot about The National here on the board; they're at Black Cat March 7th, in the midst of "crazy ass" week, so I'm thinking catching them Thursday might make sense, to be sure I see them.  Don't know a thing about the Walkmen.  Just looking for some feedback....

I don't know anything about The National.  I like the Walkmen though.  Their moodier stuff reminds me a bit of old U2. I'm definitely going to the 9:30 show.

I'd recommend hitting the 9:30 show and saving 3/7 for the Metropolitan/Rosebuds show at the Warehouse.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 01:40:00 pm »
The Walkmen are influenced such diverse bands like the Pogues, Joy Division, Bruce Springsteen, Bjork, U2, New Order, the Smiths and the Cure.

Wow, that's a really diverse collection of influences...not.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 03:26:00 pm »
I'm such a pathetic loser -- I *have* The National!  (Thanks, Markie -- it's on the Franz Ferdinand CD...)  Listening to it now; have many of y'all seen them play?  

I think Thursday's a must, then I can play Mar 7th by ear (seeing the National again with Alaska or catching Metropolitan...).

PS, Balls & Ball Lover, no need to chime in on the 'pathetic loser' exclamation -- it was just a turn of phrase.     ;)

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 03:41:00 pm »
The biggest losers are our employers who pathetically pay us money while we chat it up all day.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 03:49:00 pm »
Okay, there are five bands named "Alaska" on All Music Guide.  ???  Can someone point me in the right direction?

markie

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 04:06:00 pm »
I am looking forward to seeing the national shows as much as any coming up.

The national were great live. I saw the wlkmen before and they were too shouty for my liking. On Thursday I quite expect to disappear to the backbar for a shandy sometime during the walkmens set.

Bags

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 04:11:00 pm »
Thanks, pollard.  Hmmmm....

Bags

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 04:13:00 pm »
PS, "Murder Me, Rachael" by The National is phenomenal.

markie

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 04:20:00 pm »
I am more than fond of Carinal Song, too.

"Never tell the one you love, that you do."

ratioci nation

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 04:37:00 pm »
those songs are good, but the best on the album is Fashion Coat

markie

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 04:41:00 pm »
"I read the foreign news to understand my nation." I really dont think that is the bst song. It is the shortest though.

Bags

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 04:56:00 pm »
Now I like "Slipping Husband" -

Dear we better get a drink in you
   before you start to bore us

(Where's LuLu??     ;) )