Author Topic: Warehouse shows  (Read 50469 times)

Bags

Warehouse shows
« on: March 26, 2004, 11:56:00 am »
I'm just going to start a new thread on the shows at the Warehouse, as they send out these cool descriptions and they may either get lost in "Just announced" or bog it down.  (I wish DC9 would do this...it's pretty helpful when you don't know the bands...)

WAREHOUSE NEXTDOOR
 1017 7th St. NW

MARCH 27 SATURDAY
 8:00 Doors / $7

KAYO DOT
 MEDICATIONS
 BIOLICH

KAYO DOT
 Dark metal music on an orchestral scale, with powerful riffs, haunted vocals, violin, French horn and much more. Formerly known as Maudlin of the Well, with a dedicated gothic following, their newest recording, over a year in the making, takes them into an adventurous new world where heavy rock and classical music meet ritual. Magical and compelling music from a young band breaking new ground in the rock world.

MEDICATIONS
 Melodic prog-inspired rock featuring ex/current members of Garland of Hours, Smart Went Crazy, and Faraquet.

BIOLICH
 Insane technical metal drawn from early inspiration was in Demilich, Megaman music, Cryptopsy and Man Behind the Sunand currently fleshing out a more refined sound that draws
 from  a wide range of influences both experimental and traditional but stays grounded in its obscure and technical death metal past.

MARCH 28 SUNDAY
 8:00 Doors / $8

MARUMARI
 GREG DAVIS
 EBSK
 PERSIL (Amsterdam)

MARUMARI
 no, he isn't from outerspace as his surreal tunes would have you believe. how then to explain marumari's offbeat taste, his predilection for clothes from the gap, or his scooter fetish? this mutated breed of earthling is obviously the
 result of a childhood plagued by episodes of star trek and peewee's playhouse, digging hobbit holes, an obsession with toy rockets, and disco dancing on cruise ships for $5 poker
 chips. it's a wonder that his royal elastic feet are still grounded here on earth. the springy feet however are apropos since marumari, aka josh presseisen has bounced back and forth in his young musical career from twee indie rock to
 laptop pop. dwelling in the faceless suburbs of planet earth, this galactic composer has captured an everbroadening audience,mesmerizing them with his musical mumbo jumbo. how does this genius create his unique sound? forget the standard
 composing programs; marumari has masterminded the generic pc shareware programs and created a style to formulate 21st century tunes on his outdated 20th century computer.

Greg Davis
 after years of hip-hop groups, jazz combos, free
 improvisation, and experimental composition, greg moved toward the world of computer-based music. at depaul university in chicago, greg studied classical & jazz guitar alongside composition and jazz studies. In 1997, he started his own label, autumn records, in order to put out his own music and the music of others. several cd-r releases later, autumn records relocated to boston in 1999 and released the 'autumnature' compilation in may of 2001, which featured the likes of: marumari, hrvatski, lexaunculpt, cex, colongib, asterisk
 (aka greg davis), and many more. at this time Greg was attending the new england onservatory of music in boston, where he received his master's degree in composition in june 2001.
 mouthmoth records mothballs 7" series also featured several tracks by greg (as asterisk) and his performing duo, parallel, with don mennerich. greg was an active performer in the boston area, playing many shows by himself and with parallel. greg relocated back to chicago in august 2002.

EBSK
 Embracing the no-age with some kind of future jazz, cycling across the lawns Arlington, Virginia - only to take a tunnel to the urban wastelands. The future is bright in the hands of this duo.

PERSIL
 A Punky, Poppy, Rocky, Noisy duo from Amsterdam.

Bags

Re: Warehouse shows
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 12:00:00 pm »
Apparently both of these shows are CityPaper picks for this weekend:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

27 SATURDAY

Kayo Dot is a metal band, though you might not guess it from the first half of Choirs of the Eye, the 16-member "project"'s debut release on John Zorn's experimental Tzadik label. That's because the Dotâ??formerly known by the unfortunate, UPN-esque moniker Maudlin of the Wellâ??spends the first 30 minutes of Choirs spanning the gamut from melancholic pop to pagan folk to 20th-century classical. Jack of all trades, master of none, right? Wrong: By all that's unholy, the diminished chords fall like rain once the guitarists finally crank their amps and get to shreddiâ?¡g midway through Track 3
 (out of five), "The Manifold Curiosity." And this isn't any chin-stroking avant-garde approximation either, mind you, but real-life, sulfur-stink, down-tuned crusty doom. Yes, indeed, Kayo Dot is a metal band. It plays with the Medications and Biolich at 8 p.m. at the Warehouse Next Door, 017
 7th St. NW. $7. (202) 783-3933. (Brent Burton- Washington City Paper)

28 SUNDAY

Greg Davis' curling pond woods is like that highbrow Gatorade known as vitamin water: simple stuff repackaged, fortified, and given pleasing lowercase branding. Davis adds pillowy beats, warm finger-picking (John Fahey minus the cranky
 blues obsession), and a Brian Wilson cover to your basic folk-pop, creating an album that goes down smooth, assured, and stress-free. Davis has a master's degree in composition, and his education has not been misspent; perhaps his music will one day be piped into emergency rooms, DMV waiting areas, and bus stops everywhere to calm the angriest among us. Get ahold of yourself when Davis plays with Marumari, EBSK, and Persil at 8 p.m. at the Warehouse Next Door, 1017 7th St. NW. $8. (202) 783-3933. (Jason Cherkis- Washington City Paper)

Bags

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 06:06:00 pm »
MARCH 30 TUESDAY
 8:00 Doors / $8

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE
 ANTELOPE
 WHITE MAGIC

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE (Avey Tare, Panda Bear,
 and Deacon)
 Their sound is everywhere and nowhere.  Informed by the psychedelic freak-outs of 90s  west coast isolationists like Caroliner and  Sun City Girls, the emotional hooks and  bursts of punk, the textures and structures of  minimal techno (a la the Kompakt label), the  earthiness of sixties utopians Amon Duul and  Can, and the organic looseness of the best of  the free and improvised music world, the  Animal Collective simply cannot be pinned  down.  The Animal Collective are creating the  new spiritual music for the 21st century: music  that is aware of tradition without being tied  down to it; music unconcerned with borders  and definitions. Here Comes the Indian  promises transcendence, intensity,  articulation, and the sublime. A passionate  and mind-altering new narrative has been  unleashed.

ANTELOPE
 Featuring current El Guapo, Justin Moyer and Bee and Mike from Vertebrates. Dischord Records.

WHITE MAGIC
 Featuring Mira Billotte from Quix*o*tic.  Drag City Records.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I was a cub, Maurice Sendak's Where  the Wild Things Are had me dancing and  whooping around the living room until I knew  every word by heart. New York's Animal  Collective roars that same terrible roar and  gnashes its terrible teeth, with tribal rhythms  and harmonized moans melding one sonic  idea into the next. Sung Tongs, the band's  upcoming Fat Cat album, is the soundtrack to  a journey through jungles, over oceans, and  back again to the comfort of your own  roomâ??where you, like Max, find that your  dinner is still hot. Animal Collective brings the  wild rumpus with White Magic and Antelope at  8 p.m. at the Warehouse Next Door, 1017 7th  St. NW. $8. (202) 783-3933. (Catherine  Lewis-Washington City Paper)

walkman

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 06:43:00 pm »
saw Animal Collective w/ Black Dice in NY this weekend...they were unbelievably good.  Definitely worth seeing in a space like the Warehouse.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
Saturday April 3
 film premier of "Sexiest Stories on Earth"
 featuring Scene Creamers
 (at the Theater, not Nextdoor)
 followed by a performance by
 Childe Ballads

Monday April 5
 Tracy and The Plastics
 King Cobra (Troubleman)
 Hott Beat

Tuesday April 6
 Metal Urbain
 Dysrhythmia
 Manhunter

Wednesday April 7
 Radio Berlin
 Turn Pale
 Rancho Notorious

Friday April 9
 Majority Rule
 Bison
 The Catalyst
 Gurth

Saturday April 10
 Medic
 Tradition Dies Here
 Triac
 Exosus

Friday April 16
 Retisonic
 Channels (J. Robbins' new band)
 namelessnubmerheadman

Saturday April 17
 Espers
 Long Live Death (Oxes members)

Sunday April 18
 No-Neck Blues Band
 STONES (ex and curent members of Orthrelm, Measles Mumps
 Rubella, Anasarca, Get Hustle, Glass Candy)
 Izititiz

walkman

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 05:23:00 pm »
I'm definitely gonna hit Metal Urbain...anarchist french synth punk?  hell yeah!  As long as the band members are younger than my parents, I have no fears...

snailhook

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 08:52:00 pm »
i'll be at metal urbain and dysrhythmia. if you're familiar with suicide and like them, you'll definitely like metal urbain. a friend of mine played with them in portland last week and told me they were damn good for 50 year old dudes.

espers (from philly) is fantastic, if you're into mellow, delicate folk-psych. greg weeks, who often plays solo and is a wonderful songwriter, is in the band. the female singer has a hanunting, beautiful voice. long live death are from baltimore and were not that good when i saw them open for will oldham last year, but folks tell me their record is pretty good.

no neck blues band play crazy improv noise psych, and they can be alternately brilliant or pretentiously awful. however, i booked a friend of mine from boston on this bill (can't) who plays homemade electronic gadgets. i'll be hitting this before heading to the 9:30 for dj shadow.

walkman

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 09:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:

espers (from philly) is fantastic, if you're into mellow, delicate folk-psych.
I'll second that.  What medieval minstrels would have sounded like, had someone dosed the grog.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 12:42:00 pm »
TONIGHT! 04/06/04 â?¢ 8:30 Doors

METAL URBAIN (From Paris, France)
 MANHUNTER (Washington DCâ??s industrial dub terrors)
 and TBA (Dysrhythmia has Cancelled)

@ Warehouse Nextdoor, 1017 7th St. NW

Some 25 years before they were right about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, the French were right about punk rock.  While America listened to Kansas and Billy Joel, France embraced Métal Urbain. OK, so the band never invaded France's popular consciousness in quite the same way the Sex Pistols overran Britain. But Paris was a better place for harboring the quartet, even if it had no easier time getting gigs than Bad Brains did in D.C. Métal Urbain was briefly a
 sensation in the U.K., where it rated the very first Rough Trade release. Like many avant-rock outfits, however, the band attained most of its success posthumously. As documented by a new 24-song compilation, Anarchy in Paris!, Métal Urbain
 was sort of the Gallic Pere Ubu: The band played modernist garage-rock, updating Eddie Cochran and the Standells with synth din, machine-made beats, and guerrilla theatricality. M.U. founder Eric Debris claimed Brian Eno, Oscar Wilde, and, of course, the Velvet Underground as prime inspirations. He recalls that the band wanted "a music made of reprocessed sounds, nothing natural...voice went through a synthesizer, guitars through a filter." This harsh, driving sound was a major influence onâ??of all peopleâ??Steve Albini, who reportedly modeled Big Black's all-American aggression on Métal Urbain's Francophone squall. Like many 1977 bands, Métal Urbain was gone in a flash, so its comeback
 hardly belabors the point; in fact, the band's reunion tour is also its American debut. Métal Urbain plays with Dysrhythmia and Manhunter at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 6, at the Warehouse Theater, 1021 7th St. NW. $8. (202) 783-3933. (Mark Jenkins Washington City Paper)

thirsty moore

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 01:11:00 pm »
I might just get to Metal Urbain myself.

walkman

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 02:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
thirsty-walkie reunion?

redsock

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 02:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkie hearts you all:

thirsty-walkie reunion? [/b]
While your both there Walkie, ask Thirsty what happened to his once prolific review-writing skills.

snailhook

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 04:29:00 pm »
well, since i get "special privileges" as 9:30 doorstaph, i might check out the darkness just for the hell of it, since they go on at 10. not a fan, but they should be entertaining for half an hour.

i'll definitely be at the warehouse for metal urbain, though. that's where the  real  artists will be tonight. if any of you feel so inclined to say hi, i'll be wearing a joy division shirt. although i'm new to posting on this forum, i've been going to roughly five shows a week for the past three years and i've been working at the 9:30 for a year, so you might have seen me around.

thirsty moore

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 04:39:00 pm »
Redsock --  My apologies.  This is due to a recent move.  Literally last week.  The place I moved into is a mess and we're still cleaning up.  

Walkie -- It's been so long.

Originally posted by redsock:
 While your both there Walkie, ask Thirsty what happened to his once prolific review-writing skills.

redsock

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 04:45:00 pm »
  Redsock --  My apologies.  This is due to a recent move.  Literally last week.  The place I moved into is a mess and we're still cleaning up.  

Walkie -- It's been so long.

Originally posted by redsock:
[/b]
I was pretty sure it has to do with your move...I was just giving you a hard time mostly. Since you and walkie are now "staff" together, maybe you'll see each other more. Course, I guess walkie can't get into the bigboy clubs around town.