Author Topic: Books  (Read 164523 times)

killsaly

Re: Books
« Reply #240 on: June 21, 2016, 01:16:07 pm »
I just read  Girl in a Band by Kim Gordon. Nice job, Kim. Thurston is an idiot.
I imagine this is pretty biased.   ::)

Space Freely

« Reply #241 on: June 21, 2016, 01:44:53 pm »
I just read  Girl in a Band by Kim Gordon. Nice job, Kim. Thurston is an idiot.
I imagine this is pretty biased.   ::)

Middle aged guy leaves his wife and family for a woman 28 years younger than his wife. Seems like it would be pretty hard to tell the story in a way where the middle aged guy doesn't seem like a total piece of shit.

killsaly

« Reply #242 on: June 21, 2016, 01:48:04 pm »
Again, you are only hearing one person's side of the story.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:53:48 pm by killsaly »

Relaxer

« Reply #243 on: June 21, 2016, 01:55:47 pm »
Yes, the facts that we, the public, know about Kim and Thurston's break-up make Thurston look like a dick. And if he cheated on his wife and she never cheated on him, then he's some level of a dick. But there is no way that Kim's account is a credible objective telling of what happened. Maybe she had an affair before him? Maybe there was an understanding between them that out-of-wedlock trysts were ok? Maybe she is a toxic abusive person? Maybe she's a pathological liar?

Personally, I've never really liked her that much. She's always seemed overly impressed with herself and what an artiste she is.
oword

killsaly

« Reply #244 on: June 21, 2016, 01:56:30 pm »
^ exactly

dyecraig

« Reply #245 on: June 21, 2016, 02:08:35 pm »
^ yup.

Space Freely

« Reply #246 on: June 21, 2016, 02:31:28 pm »

bob72

« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2016, 01:37:45 pm »
Upon advice given by several of you I dove into Please Kill Me this weekend and though I'm only 75 pages into it and not yet past the MC5/Stooges era yet I have to say it's def a good read.

A lot of people (usually younger people) will argue whether or not The Stooges are actually punk, but if any of these accounts are even partially true, the were pretty much punk as fuck. I mean who rolls around on stage in a broken beer bottle the crowd throws at you?
PENIS

dyecraig

« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2016, 01:41:23 pm »
^ yes!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2016, 01:43:23 pm »
Anybody read The Sympathizer or All The Light We Cannot See? Trying to figure which to read first.
Went with All The Light first and it was fantastic. Highly recommended.

About 3/4th of the way through The Sympathizer and it's very good but not as good as the forementioned book.

Going to a book release party on Saturday for Hard Red Spring by local Richmond author Kelly Kerney. The New Yorker review made it sound really good and the excuse of party is a good motivator to actually purchase this.
LVMH

« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2016, 09:47:47 am »
Has anyone read Paul Beatty's The Sellout or Emma Cline's The Girls and have thoughts/recommendations on either?
LVMH

dyecraig

« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2016, 09:57:29 am »
"going to hell in a hen basket - an illustrated dictionary of modern malapropisms" by robert alden rubin
lol funny.

K8teebug

« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2016, 10:29:05 am »
Has anyone read Paul Beatty's The Sellout or Emma Cline's The Girls and have thoughts/recommendations on either?

I really liked The Girls. Loved her language and the description of the friendship. A little on the nose, but still an enjoyable read. I would be interested to know if men enjoy this book, or if it's more for women.

I've been on a bit of a tear with books lately. Really enjoying Underground Airlines.

Also read Before the Fall, Girls on Fire, How to Build a Girl - all of which were just ok

This Little Life (which was great, but tore me apart and put me into a bit of a depression)

Time Traveller's Wife (definitely a book for girls, I think, but the first book ever to mention Big Black)

Modern Lovers (don't believe the hype, this book was absolutely AWFUL)

LaRose was also pretty good. Still not quite sure how I feel about this one.

Another book I really liked was The Water Knife. It came out last year.

« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2016, 10:32:34 am »
This Little Life (which was great, but tore me apart and put me into a bit of a depression)
This one has been on my radar for a bit with the Man Booker nomination. Might need to add this to my forthcoming amazon order.
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #254 on: August 09, 2016, 10:33:35 am »
This one has been on my radar for a bit with the Man Booker nomination. Might need to add this to my forthcoming amazon order.

Just be in a really great mood when you begin. That books literally will tear you down and then stomp on you.