Author Topic: Best way to Baltimore?  (Read 7981 times)

sonickteam

Re: Best way to Baltimore?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 03:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  still doesn't make up for the fact that it's extremely inconvenient if you want to go to a show or plan on staying late.
oh, I'm sorry.  I guess I just assume that people drink till dawn, as I like to.  That makes taking the first train in the morning quite convenient. [/b]
some of us get UP at dawn to go to work?

i guess the bike shop opens late  ;)

sonickteam

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 03:56:00 pm »
  i believe that even the cost of the Amtrak roundtrip is worth it.
$32?

jkeisenh

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 04:01:00 pm »
$32 gets you:
 - no worries about DUIs
 - no traffic concerns
 - no need to pay parking
 - no need to waste time looking for parking
 - no fear about where is okay to park
 - time to read, knit, listen to music, and drink on the train
 - a bathroom (handy for drunken rides home)
 - a snack bar (on select trains) that serves beer
 - 2 (and possibly more) productive hours of your life back.

and i will say no more on the issue.

sonickteam

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 04:08:00 pm »

and i will say no more on the issue.
good cause you make no sense at all.

Bags

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 06:05:00 pm »
  The MARC train that permits you to drink before travelling and has cabstands outside the stations and allows you to forgo scrounging or paying for parking and makes sure your car isn't broken into.
...and doesn't run on weekends or after any normal time you might want to get home after a show, even a pretty early weekday show.

Chimbly, this crusade you're on is getting kind of tedious (I'm trying to think of the least not nice description....).

I'm amazed by the Baltimore drive times -- I can never get to BWI in less than 45 minutes from downtown, so don't know how folks make it into to downtown Bmore in the same (or the Baltimore clubs, which seem to all be on the nothern side of the city...)

lionforce5

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2005, 10:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

The MARC train that permits you to drink before travelling and has cabstands outside the stations and allows you to forgo scrounging or paying for parking and makes sure your car isn't broken into.
...and doesn't run on weekends or after any normal time you might want to get home after a show, even a pretty early weekday show.

Chimbly, this crusade you're on is getting kind of tedious (I'm trying to think of the least not nice description....).

I'm amazed by the Baltimore drive times -- I can never get to BWI in less than 45 minutes from downtown, so don't know how folks make it into to downtown Bmore in the same (or the Baltimore clubs, which seem to all be on the nothern side of the city...) [/b]
What club, besides the Ottobar, is on the north side of the city limits of Baltimore City?  I'm actually asking, as I really don't know.  I guess there's Rendezvous on 25th but that's not really a club.

I guess the appropriate question is what time are you usually leaving and which way are you heading out?  If you go north out of the city, up Georgia, 13th or New Hampshire you can easily get on the beltway within a few stops of both the BW parkway and the I-95.  Otherwise you'll spend an extra heap of time driving around the edge of the city.  I live around Takoma and it normally takes me 15 minutes or less to get from my doorstep to Dupont by car...about 5-10 minutes or so to get from here to the beltway (all lights behaving as they should), and about 25 minutes on 95 N to 395/MLK split in Baltimore...from which it's just a quick 5 minute trip up to Fells/Canton or Sonar and a 10 minute trip up MLK to Howard and then up towards JHU.

Bags

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2005, 11:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by j_lee:
 What club, besides the Ottobar, is on the north side of the city limits of Baltimore City?  I'm actually asking, as I really don't know.  I guess there's Rendezvous on 25th but that's not really a club.
Ottobar and The Mojo Room are the only places i've wanted to go....Fletcher's as well, but I've never been so I don't know where it is.

PS, I should clarify, I meant either north or east Baltimore -- ie, other side from D.C.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that it's further than the "40 minutes" folks always like to quote you when mentioning the DC/Balto trip.

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2005, 11:46:00 pm »
the Recher is in North baltimore, or should i say, north OF baltimore and is much farther than 40 minutes from DC.

DC is like 35 miles from Baltimore but no, you can make it from said desitination in DC to said destination in Baltimore in 40 minutes....ever.

:)

lionforce5

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2005, 12:10:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam3:
  the Recher is in North baltimore, or should i say, north OF baltimore and is much farther than 40 minutes from DC.

DC is like 35 miles from Baltimore but no, you can make it from said desitination in DC to said destination in Baltimore in 40 minutes....ever.

:)  
Based on what I've seen advertised at the Recher (which is in Towson) there's usually no need to go there if you live in D.C.

Did you mean you CAN'T make it to said destination in Baltimore in 40 minutes?

Years ago when I lived in Baltimore I made it from the doorstep of my apartment on East Preston to the Parking Lot at Nation in 35 minutes easy.

It can be done...probably not within the boundaries of the legal speed limits but it can be done.

ratioci nation

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 01:00:00 am »
  Based on what I've seen advertised at the Recher (which is in Towson) there's usually no need to go there if you live in D.C.

the recher may be the best place to see a show in the area, still hard to choose it over a show in dc though

sonickteam

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 08:48:00 am »

It can be done...probably not within the boundaries of the legal speed limits but it can be done.
I've made it to Boston in 5 hours and 20 minutes before too, but lets just say, it cant happen all the time.

and yes, i suppose its more likely to get from Bmore to DC in 40 minutes, if its after say 10pm.

and Nation is super easy cause you barely have to get off the highway and you're right there!

jkeisenh

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 09:23:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:

How to say this in the least not nice way?
 I'm just finding this love-for-driving crusade a little tedious, especially since I live here and have to breathe the air that unnecessary car trips pollute and all that.

Besides, check my original post.  It said "MARC train."  That's all.  I didn't go ranting about cars.  I just promoted train.  It's certain (how to say this nicely?) overly-defensive-car-fanatics that keep making this into an argument.  I'm shit tired of it myself, but it's not going to stop me from advocating for smart alternatives.

sonickteam

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
chimbly, I am certainly positive that we would all rather not drive. i CERTAINLY hate driving, not because i am polluting your air, but because i think its going to end my life one day.

anyway, if we lived in a world that public transportation was affordable, accessible and efficient (Europe), then i am sure we would all be driving less.

its cool that you have an extra $32 to ride the Amtrak or can stay out til 5:50am whenever you go out. but dont say anyone loves driving cause they dont.

in fact, i think you are in cars plenty, you just bum rides from other people....which is also really cool.

sonickteam

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2005, 09:36:00 am »

I'm just finding this love-for-driving crusade a little tedious, especially since I live here and have to breathe the air that unnecessary car trips pollute and all that.

wah wah wah wah wah, oh my god, you cry constantly....

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 09:55:00 am »
Originally posted by white man from town:
  actually, Baltimore is starting to look more like a real city. and not just 3 blocks from the harbour.  Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill and the Downtown are all areas that you see less junkies and more people jogging.
Yeah, Baltisnore is starting to look downright gentrified.  I miss the old industrial rot & stink.  Baltimore's old charm is that it was always a dangerous, dirty eastern rust-heap.  That's becoming a memory as the health nuts take over.

What in the hell would you know about it anyway...aren't you from goddamned Ontario, or something?