Author Topic: Best way to Baltimore?  (Read 7977 times)

bellenseb

Best way to Baltimore?
« on: April 20, 2005, 12:44:00 pm »
I'm tired of hearing Baltimore destinations described as being "only 40 minutes from downtown DC". I never make it downtown-to-downtown in less than an hour, even with minimal traffic. How do you all do it?

lionforce5

Re: Best way to Baltimore?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 12:53:00 pm »
Drive up New Hampshire to hit the beltway one stop before the 95 split.  Usually about 75-80 on 95 north.

Sir HC

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 12:57:00 pm »
New York to 295 to 495 to 95 to Baltimore.  That is 45-55 minutes if you hurry.  I have made it to rte 100 from DC at night in about 35 minutes, and have made it from rte 100 to baltimore in 15.

sonickteam

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 12:58:00 pm »
it all depends on where you are going in each city.  

but the parkway is the best way for me. i almost never take 95, unless its way late at night (past 2am) cause you have those drunk people going 110mph and there's only 2 lanes going each way!!!!

unless i hit a traffic snag, i can get from my house in Northern Baltimore to the 930 club in 50 minutes and thats counting 10 minutes getting through Baltimore.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 01:32:00 pm »
The best way to get to Baltimore is to say "Hon" a lot.  Also, it wouldn't hurt if you had syphllis, or were a junkie.  Baltimore is a state of mind, you see?  It used to be known as the "City That Reads", but the new slogan is THE CITY THAT SMELLS.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 03:14:00 pm »
yeah, the b-w parkway works best for me too.
OU812

danknugz

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 03:19:00 pm »
i always take 495 coming from mont county. im sure there's a better way, but thats the only way i know up there.

jkeisenh

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »
MARC train.

sonickteam

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 03:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
  The best way to get to Baltimore is to say "Hon" a lot.  Also, it wouldn't hurt if you had syphllis, or were a junkie.  Baltimore is a state of mind, you see?  It used to be known as the "City That Reads", but the new slogan is THE CITY THAT SMELLS.
actually, Baltimore is starting to look more like a real city. and not just 3 blocks from the harbour.  Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill and the Downtown are all areas that you see less junkies and more people jogging.

sonickteam

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 03:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  MARC train.
the MARC train that doesnt run on weekends and only runs til like 10:30pm on weeknights and costs $7 each way and takes longer than 40 minutes and will only drop you off at the stadium or MICA?

jkeisenh

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 03:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by white man from town:

MARC train.
the MARC train that doesnt run on weekends and only runs til like 10:30pm on weeknights and costs $7 each way and takes longer than 40 minutes and will only drop you off at the stadium or MICA? [/b]
Yes.  The MARC train that permits you to drink before travelling and has cabstands outside the stations and allows you to forgo scrounging or paying for parking and makes sure your car isn't broken into.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 03:50:00 pm »

Originally posted by white man from town:

MARC train.
the MARC train that doesnt run on weekends and only runs til like 10:30pm on weeknights and costs $7 each way and takes longer than 40 minutes and will only drop you off at the stadium or MICA? [/b]
Yes.  The MARC train that permits you to drink before travelling and has cabstands outside the stations and allows you to forgo scrounging or paying for parking and makes sure your car isn't broken into. [/b]
still doesn't make up for the fact that it's extremely inconvenient if you want to go to a show or plan on staying late.
OU812

jkeisenh

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  still doesn't make up for the fact that it's extremely inconvenient if you want to go to a show or plan on staying late.
oh, I'm sorry.  I guess I just assume that people drink till dawn, as I like to.  That makes taking the first train in the morning quite convenient.

sonickteam

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
or if its Saturday or Sunday!!! you know, the two days most of us have off!!!!!

oh, and the MARC train that runs to the Stadium stops running at like 6pm!

Chimbly, do you really use the MARC train as a convenient way to get to and from Balt/DC? good for your daytime weekday trips to the Zoo, but you've used it for a show?

oh, and you can drink ON the MARC train actually....

jkeisenh

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 03:54:00 pm »
i believe that even the cost of the Amtrak roundtrip is worth it.