Author Topic: Site for next Forum gathering...  (Read 5685 times)

Guiny

Re: Site for next Forum gathering...
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2004, 04:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Sounds like y'all should check out the new Coyote Ugly as well! [/QB][/QUOTE]

I probably will once......Without her of course   ;)

Celeste

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2004, 04:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Anyone know of anybody who's hiring music reviewers?
Actually we will be looking for a Communications Coordinator very soon...someone who will write press releases, newsletters, etc. and do some administrative tasks supporting the VP of Communications...our organization is such that you can sort of grow the job into something more if you look for opportunities and are able to do the basic things asked of you...

thirsty moore

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2004, 04:52:00 pm »
I've stayed late; I've done things "above and beyond".  What you just said screws Temps over.  People think they're getting subpar office workers who don't know how to tie their shoelaces.  I have yet to have a full length conversation with anyone in any of the offices I'm sent to.

Originally posted by Ball Girl:
 with being a temp, the temp gets the benefit of flexibility, not having to be committed to long-term goals of an organization, not being expected to stay late or do anything "above and beyond"...

Bags

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2004, 04:54:00 pm »
But sometimes the 'benefits' of temp work go both ways.  You can stop going anytime you want, no notice, say when a better job comes along.  I've temped, and I did so specifically because I needed to be able to leave on a dime.  And, it was "temp" -- had cobra or something else covering me.

AND, if I had stayed with the temp agency for a matter of months, I'd get health insurance,  earn paid vacation and become eligible to sign up for 401K options (without matching, though, I think).

Originally posted by Friend of Guy Balls:
  Do you give them health insurance? Paid vacation? 401K options?

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2004, 04:54:00 pm »
That was my experience with temping in NC.

I did temp in NY state while in grad school the first time around. It was basically the same job with the same company for two years, with all of the non-benefits of temping. The company only hired a couple of people as true employees with benefits (out of maybe 50 temps).

See, that sounds respectable.  I can't tell you how many places shove you in the corner, drop piles of paper off, and run.

Temps that come work at my office have it good, at least when I am directing them. I always try to make it nice for them, I give them a radio, CDs, snacks and try to treat them with respect in terms of making the projects they do interesting and giving them an idea of the big picture of the project so they understand they are part of something that is of some importance...not ALL temp jobs are bad.
[/b]

Venerable Bede

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2004, 04:56:00 pm »
whoops. . don't know how i did that.
OU812

Celeste

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2004, 04:57:00 pm »
  I've stayed late; I've done things "above and beyond".  What you just said screws Temps over.  People think they're getting subpar office workers who don't know how to tie their shoelaces.  I have yet to have a full length conversation with anyone in any of the offices I'm sent to.

with being a temp, the temp gets the benefit of flexibility, not having to be committed to long-term goals of an organization, not being expected to stay late or do anything "above and beyond"...
[/b]
what I *said* doesn't screw temps over...it's just the fact of the marketplace...a business will hire a temp ususually because they don't have enough work to justify the cost of having another full-time employee receiving benefits on their books...my comments were meant to highlight some up-sides to being a temp...basically a company should not expect that a temp would be highly committed to their projects or feel really invested in the work...if the temp *is* that speaks well for them

eltee

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2004, 04:58:00 pm »
  Anyone know of anybody who's hiring music reviewers?
Thirsty - OnTap Online has freelancers. Lemme know if you want more info.
 -I hated being a temp. Yes, you do know what you are getting into...However, I was left out of meetings, events, work conversations -- heck, even my badge didn't work on some of the doors. Not to mention not having benefits. It was good that I was getting paid & I was employed - but I wanted full-time work with benefits.
 -I'd rather go to Polyesthers than Tequila Beach -blech.

eltee

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2004, 04:59:00 pm »

[/b]
This sounds way too familiar -- I think you took my slot at my last temp job.  ;)

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2004, 05:00:00 pm »
I was never given any of those benefits, even in the temp job I stayed at for 2 years while in grad school.

AND, if I had stayed with the temp agency for a matter of months, I'd get health insurance,  earn paid vacation and become eligible to sign up for 401K options (without matching, though, I think).

[/b]

Celeste

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2004, 05:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Tee:
  I hated being a temp...I was left out of meetings...
And this is bad, how? (I don't like meeting so much  :)  )

Bags

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2004, 05:08:00 pm »
That's pretty shitty.  If it was a two-year gig, you should have negotiated with the employer -- they were paying the temp agency enough to have covered your salary plus some essential benefits directly to you.  Yeah, they have to buy you out, but that's done all the time.

Were you working 40-hour weeks?  If it's less than 20-hours, that can mean you're not eligible for benefits (which is often true at a company, not just a temp agency, as well).

I was never given any of those benefits, even in the temp job I stayed at for 2 years while in grad school.

[/b]
[/b]

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2004, 05:18:00 pm »
I started by working 40 hours weeks, but decreased to 24-32 by my own choice. I don't think the market was such that i would  have been able to negotiate.

That's pretty shitty.  If it was a two-year gig, you should have negotiated with the employer -- they were paying the temp agency enough to have covered your salary plus some essential benefits directly to you.  Yeah, they have to buy you out, but that's done all the time.

Were you working 40-hour weeks?  If it's less than 20-hours, that can mean you're not eligible for benefits (which is often true at a company, not just a temp agency, as well).

[/b]
[/b]
[/b]

ggw

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2004, 05:26:00 pm »
What is the advantage of temping?

I mean, there are plenty of shitty jobs out there that one could have full-time.  So, if all the temp jobs are shit and have no benefits, wouldn't it make sense to take a FT position somewhere so you could have bennies with your shit?

Bags

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2004, 05:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  What is the advantage of temping?

I temped when I was looking for a job, so that if I set up an interview, I could take any day off from temping that I needed.  In other words, I could work the temp schedule around my needs, not vice versa.

I'd assume for a student it would be similar; if you have a paper due or a test coming up, you can say "I"m not working tomorrow or Friday..."