Author Topic: Pixies fans  (Read 99584 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: Pixies fans
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2004, 09:22:00 am »
Originally posted by Rupert Pupkin:
  Constitution Hall is easily one of the worst places ever to see a rock concert.  Why the hell aren't the Pixies coming to 9:30? This news blows.
Why do you hate DAR so much?  It's pretty obvious why they're not playing 9:30.  It's way too small.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2004, 09:34:00 am »
The only show I ever saw at DAR was Adam Ant and Wall of Voodoo in probably 1985 or 1986.  I barely remember the place.  Anyone been recently.  How is it really?

Chip Chanko

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2004, 09:34:00 am »
The only show I've enjoyed at DAR was Ibrahim Ferrer a few years ago. It just doesn't fit rock bands because it's so cavernous and echoey. It's just a bad layout for a show (maybe because it's so square shaped). Now, this is probably better than seeing them in an arena like MCI or Patriot Center (unless the floor was GA with no seats).

Aragon Ballroom in Chicago is just as cavernous and maybe more echoey...but it's all GA on the floor with no seats, which I'd much prefer for rock. There's always more energy at a show where you're standing shoulder to shoulder with other fans.

In the end, though...since this is the pixies there's probably not much you can do to ruin it. The Wilco/Sonic Youth show was ok at DAR (although it was kind of depressing to see SY opening for someone...).

Originally posted by Skeeter:

Originally posted by Rupert Pupkin:
  Constitution Hall is easily one of the worst places ever to see a rock concert.  Why the hell aren't the Pixies coming to 9:30? This news blows.
Why do you hate DAR so much?  It's pretty obvious why they're not playing 9:30.  It's way too small. [/b]

Chip Chanko

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2004, 09:35:00 am »
hmm...it posted twice.

« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2004, 09:37:00 am »
I've been to one show at DAR. It was an anti-landmines benefit with Willie Nelson, Lucinda Williams, STeve Earle, Emmylou Harris, and Sheryl Crow. No complaints from me, I thought it was a good place to see a show.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2004, 09:38:00 am »
Yeah...that's the kind of stuff DAR is good for. It seems to take the roll out of rock for me. Whatever that means.

Originally posted by Sacktastic Bag O' Nuts:
  I've been to one show at DAR. It was an anti-landmines benefit with Willie Nelson, Lucinda Williams, STeve Earle, Emmylou Harris, and Sheryl Crow. No complaints from me, I thought it was a good place to see a show.

Mobius

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2004, 09:42:00 am »
I completely agree.  DAR sucks the life out of rock bands, but is a very nice place to see more low key or refined acts.

jkeisenh

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2004, 09:45:00 am »
I saw the Belle & Sebastian / Sleater-Kinney show at DAR.  It's the only time I've seen SK less than amazing live-- the space just killed them (that and it was an odd billing, don't you think?)  The place was great for the B&S light show, but we weren't allowed to leave out seats.  In fact, some of the ushers yelled at us for standing up!  When everyone rushed down the aisle and toward the stage when B&S came on, burly security guards forced us back to the seats.  There was little dancing to be done and it made me sad.  It SUCKED!

Venerable Bede

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2004, 10:00:00 am »
Originally posted by Barcelona:

Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:

What am I supposed to celebrate on May 5th?  Isn't that the Mexican National Day? relationship with traveling from Bolivia to Brasil to see the Pixies? [/b]
today is the day that a rag-tag army of mexican's whooped up on the french at the battle of puebla, that led to eventual removal of the french-supported government of maximillian, and the return of benito juarez as president of mexico.  

it's one of two days celebrated in mexico to signify an independence day, this one being the larger because it was the last. . .the other date is september 16 when the mexico united to defeat the spanish in 1810 - although full defeat of the spanish came in 1821.
OU812

Bags

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2004, 09:04:00 pm »
I agree, Chip.  I was there for Belle and Sebastian and Sleater-Kinney.  It BLEW for Sleater-Kinney, which is all rock n roll energy, and was great for Belle and Sebastion, which was more chamber-y with a huge light production out of a high end 70s variety show.

-edit-
 oops, chimbly, hadn't gotten to your post.  We generally agree, though I didn't need to dance for B&S, so I was fine.  They were brutal with y'all trying to come down and share the B&S love....

Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  Yeah...that's the kind of stuff DAR is good for. It seems to take the roll out of rock for me. Whatever that means.

Originally posted by Sacktastic Bag O' Nuts:
[/b]

Chip Chanko

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2004, 10:33:00 pm »
I didn't go to that show because I thought it would be sad to see S-K there. Missing Belle and Sebastian was both there and at 9:30 was stupid, though. I haven't seen them since their black cat show a few years ago and didn't realize that I miss them until too late.

Anyway...it's weird what ends up coming to DAR. Didn't the Breeders play there last year? Maybe Kim loved it so much she persuaded them that it was THE premier venue in DC.  I bet the Pixies break up again after playing there with Frank Black Francis chasing Kim down 19th St. yelling "i said you fucking die!!" He was into field hockey players...

Originally posted by Macktastic Bag O' Flash:
  I agree, Chip.  I was there for Belle and Sebastian and Sleater-Kinney.  It BLEW for Sleater-Kinney, which is all rock n roll energy, and was great for Belle and Sebastion, which was more chamber-y with a huge light production out of a high end 70s variety show.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2004, 08:01:00 am »
here's the dealâ?¦

Constitution Hall was the only venue available this far out

Smith Center/Bender won't release dates this early - they need to wait for their sports schedules

Patriot Center was available, but I didn't think it was the right vibe for this show

besides 930â?¦where would you most like to see this show?

Chip Chanko

« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2004, 08:12:00 am »
8:15 Club?

Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
 ...besides 930…where would you most like to see this show?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2004, 08:55:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  besides 930â?¦where would you most like to see this show?
The Warner?   Or would that still be way too small?

I don't really have much of an opinion about DAR.  I've seen a few shows there.  Not great.  Not terrible.

Barcelona

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2004, 09:09:00 am »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  Didn't the Breeders play there last year?
They played at Nations.