Author Topic: V-Fest Roll Call  (Read 27133 times)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: V-Fest Roll Call
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2008, 09:10:00 am »
also lol @ the kanye misspelling in the program.
nothx

El Jefe Design

« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2008, 09:28:00 am »
Spelling seemed to be a problem for V-Fest. My sign had a typo. There were tons in the program. And the autograph tent had a few like Citiizen Cope.

Bags

« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2008, 09:51:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
 And what about Wilco? You failed to mention Wilco.

I think I can explain the lack of love for Wilco.  Largely (or only) it's Wilco fans talk who about Wilco.  I've got many friends who are fans, and see them every time they come through town.  I've never seen them, so I was pretty psyched to get the chance at Lollapalooza.  It was not a great show (though on the Wilco boards, etc., it is highly praised apparently).  

Here's my take on why -- if you are a fan and know and enjoy/love their songs, they do them well and the shows are exciting.  But they don't break through to that next level, which is reaching out into the audience and moving folks who don't know the catalog.  

In contrast, Nine Inch Nails, which I also know only in the way your random person does (ie, the two songs that were big a few years ago), reached out and pulled my f*&^uing heart out.  That was a hell of a show, and I think that's a particular level a live band can reach.  Where you can get an entire audience pumped, whether they were fans already or not.

I know I'll get shit for this, but I found Radiohead to be in the same camp as Wilco.  I can see how you would LOVE them if you're a fan, but if you're not, no biggie.

[A band I love that I would put in the Wilco/Radiohead camp is Snow Patrol.  I think their live shows are fantastic, but I can also see that someone who doesn't have any albums would not be all that dazzled.]

Just my two cents that came to me at Lolla.  Be gentle, I'm not trashing any of the bands discussed!!

Got Haggis?

« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2008, 10:10:00 am »
trent said something along the lines of 'okay this is our last song - go check out kanye after i'm done because i feel bad, no one is over there'

and apparently kanye said he started his set 30 mins late because he was busy watching NIN

serpent boy

« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2008, 10:19:00 am »
He was a surprise of the day for me since I'm not too familiar with his back catalog, and I didn't expect such a great crowd response. Of course I knew he'd be himself, but I didn't expect it to translate so well to a festival atmosphere.

Wilco was boring. I watched the first 5 songs, and it just isn't my thing. Then again, I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan, and I'm sure tons of people can say the same thing about them.

So wait, you're telling me there was this guy called Iggy Pop who played? What was the surprise of the day?

-that he was a "crazy fucker"?
 -that his set was excellent?
 -that he was a contrast to Lil Wayne?

Do tell us more about this Iggy Pop fellow, Serpent Boy. Does he have many albums out, and which ones would you recommend?

Originally posted by serpent boy:
  - Iggy Pop was the surprise of the day for me. What a crazy fucker. His set was excellent and just the contrast needed after a frustrating Lil Wayne set.

Thanks, V-Fest!
[/b]

« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2008, 10:53:00 am »
So did your post above.

I think you meant to say that it was "loud", not "load". And the last time I checked, her name was "Zoey" not "Chloe".

Originally posted by El Jefe Design:
  Spelling seemed to be a problem for V-Fest. My sign had a typo. There were tons in the program. And the autograph tent had a few like Citiizen Cope.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2008, 10:56:00 am »
i've seen iggy solo and with the stooges 3 times in a club and once festival style....the festival was by far my fave.

bkrome

« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2008, 10:56:00 am »
Wilco was very boring.

Kanye came on for the end of Lil Waynes set which ran over a half hour cutting the Black Keys stage time in half.  

Chuck Berry is way to old to be performing.

Lupe Fiasco left 15 minutes early because they were having technical problems on stage although I could not tell what exactly was wrong.

Thought Kanye was the highlight of day 2.

Great weather this year, probably the most enjoyable time of the three years its been going on.

« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2008, 10:59:00 am »
I'd have to disagree on Nine Inch Nails.

Admittedly, the only time I ever saw them was at Lollapalooza in 1991, and the singer was a whiny crybaby bitch who threw a tantrum because all of his prerecorded "music" was going haywire.

And I use the word "music" loosely.

Perhaps they have changed and actually started playing the music live and with some melody. If not, I'm sure they still wouldn't win over me, the random person that I am.

Originally posted by Bags:

I think I can explain the lack of love for Wilco.  Largely (or only) it's Wilco fans talk who about Wilco.  I've got many friends who are fans, and see them every time they come through town.  I've never seen them, so I was pretty psyched to get the chance at Lollapalooza.  It was not a great show (though on the Wilco boards, etc., it is highly praised apparently).  

Here's my take on why -- if you are a fan and know and enjoy/love their songs, they do them well and the shows are exciting.  But they don't break through to that next level, which is reaching out into the audience and moving folks who don't know the catalog.  

In contrast, Nine Inch Nails, which I also know only in the way your random person does (ie, the two songs that were big a few years ago), reached out and pulled my f*&^uing heart out.  That was a hell of a show, and I think that's a particular level a live band can reach.  Where you can get an entire audience pumped, whether they were fans already or not.

I know I'll get shit for this, but I found Radiohead to be in the same camp as Wilco.  I can see how you would LOVE them if you're a fan, but if you're not, no biggie.

[A band I love that I would put in the Wilco/Radiohead camp is Snow Patrol.  I think their live shows are fantastic, but I can also see that someone who doesn't have any albums would not be all that dazzled.]

Just my two cents that came to me at Lolla.  Be gentle, I'm not trashing any of the bands discussed!! [/b]

Smylie

« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2008, 11:18:00 am »
Lil' Wayne is an embarrassment and the festival should apologize for having him in the first place.    

Nine Inch Nails was by far the best show of the 2 days.

Taking Back Sunday was by far the worst.

serpent boy

« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2008, 11:40:00 am »
I'm still pissed about the Lil Wayne situation. The Black Keys were one of the big draws for me on Day 2, and they only got about 7 songs.

Plus, Lil Wayne was god awful. He wasn't even close to in harmony with his backing track. His DJ wasn't even good enough to be in Hollywood Undead. He only performed half of each song. And we got to watch his entourage prance around on stage for 15 minutes.

The Lil Wayne crowd was one of the worst I've been around. They kept yelling "Show your tits!" at Zooey, and a group of guys in front of me kept calling me a "fruitcake" for singing along to the She & Him set. I couldn't even hear "Sentimental Heart" over the talking crowd.

I realize that festivals can be this way, but Lil Wayne's set really put a damper on the day.

wml7

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2008, 11:49:00 am »
I thought the Swell Season was awesome.  One of his solo songs was great, wish I got it on video.  I got a lot of songs on video just need to upload to youtube.  Busy weekend with All Points and this festival.  STP was good too.  I wanted to go see Dylan but stayed thru the whole set of STP.  NIN was good, pretty much same set as Lollapalooza in a little different order.  Foo Fighters were good too.  Overall good festival with great weather.

Arthwys

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »
Yes NIN play w/ real instruments.  Yes their lightshow is insanely awesome.  Funniest moment for me: Trent telling everyone that he's gonna play one last song (leaving 5 minutes before 10pm) and that everyone should go watch some of Kanye because he feels bad no one is over there.

STP rocked.  Yeah, Scott was a little out of it between sets and they came on 15 minutes late, but when it came time for each song, they were amazing.

Iggy, he's the man.  Constantly going down to ground level to perform right in front of the barrier.  At one point he saw that there was a fan that was singing along and says "hey! you know all the words don't you?"  runs over to this fan, and gives him the mic for the whole verse.  Rock on.
Emrys

El Jefe Design

« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »
What happened to the guy running across the stage during The Stooges? It looked like he took a decent shot before jumping/falling into the security area. Was it as bad as it looked from far away. Iggy seemed to appreciate it.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »
highlight of NIN for me was watching Trent rock the Xylophone