Author Topic: Elvis Costello  (Read 10105 times)

hutch

Re: Elvis Costello
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2024, 01:09:31 pm »
That’s ridiculous.

Play whatever you want however you want.

When I first saw Bob Dylan in 1996 he was 53 and he played amazing versions of his hits, Dead covers, and whatever the fuck he felt like and they were truly great shows.

If people want to hear the original versions stream it or whatever

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2024, 03:10:58 pm »
I saw Dylan in Bowie Baysox stadium a while back. I couldnt tell he was playing his hits until I read the setlist the next day. That's not what people pay for.  How would you like to see Ween read their song lyrics like a beat poet at one of their shows (if they can ever get back on stage). I know most people would probably prefer that, but Ween fans would probably be a bit puzzled and not to happy.

Or how'd you like to see Evan Dando play one of his sets in a drugged out incomprehensible haze. Well maybe that's how he wanted to play his songs, yet no one is allowed to complain? 

That’s ridiculous.

Play whatever you want however you want.

When I first saw Bob Dylan in 1996 he was 53 and he played amazing versions of his hits, Dead covers, and whatever the fuck he felt like and they were truly great shows.

If people want to hear the original versions stream it or whatever

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2024, 03:26:11 pm »
Bob Dylan has not been worth seeing love in 5-6 decades and everyone who has is a sucker. Myself included. But some people have heard the “fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me” adage and some people have Stockholm Syndrome and convince themselves it was actually great because they have issues.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2024, 04:55:29 pm »
OMG so so wrong…..

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2024, 05:39:45 pm »
I thought the quote was "fool me once, shame on you, fool me, can't get fooled again"

https://youtu.be/rQ6N-sb7SVQ?si=_IGQ-aQboomO87c0
slack

hutch

« Reply #65 on: Today at 12:40:28 am »
I mean I have now seen Bob about 25 times just about anywhere from the 930 to Chicago, Atlanta, etc. I have stopped trains to see him (your Alma mater sidehatch). This stereotype and common misconception that he is unintelligible and his shows suck is just not borne out by the facts. Did he have a rough patch in the early 90s? Sure. Is his voice limited? Sure, and let’s face it he was never Pavarotti but the art of singing is about transmitting emotion. As Miles Davis famously said he preferred Billie Holiday towards the end of her career when vocally she was but a shadow of herself because she was a better more experienced singer and could transmit more feeling with her croak than she had as a young woman with her youthful voice.

If you don’t understand this you don’t understand singing.

hutch

« Reply #66 on: Today at 01:13:18 am »
And if what you are looking for are faithful renditions you haven’t understood anything. Bob Dylan is not a pop singer or a Frankie Valli lip synching. For Bob Dylan a song is a living breathing thing and the recorded version is no more important than any of the subsequent versions. A great song can be adapted. In some ways when Bob performs a song he is like a jazz musician. Think Miles live. The versions he plays constantly evolve. That’s creativity.