Author Topic: Roll Call:Wilco  (Read 25027 times)

thirsty moore

Re: Roll Call:Wilco
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2004, 12:27:00 pm »
Didn't he have a bike accident recently?

Originally posted by Bollocks:
 Just one step closer to our ultimate goal...to make DC a "BIKES ONLY" city...hard to imagine el'pres in his cyclecade though.

ratioci nation

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2004, 12:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I assume it will be available at the show.  It will likely be available on the Heads of State site at some point also, but those guys are always a little slow in updating their site.
I had emailed them a while ago, and they said they would be available after the show in a limited number.  Did not mention them being at the show, but they could be.

mankie

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2004, 12:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Didn't he have a bike accident recently?

Just one step closer to our ultimate goal...to make DC a "BIKES ONLY" city...hard to imagine el'pres in his cyclecade though.
[/b]
NO! He did not have an accident on his bike....al queada put a stick in his spokes.

thirsty moore

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2004, 01:05:00 pm »
True enough, they hated his freedom.

NO! He did not have an accident on his bike....al queada put a stick in his spokes.

ggw

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2004, 01:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I assume it will be available at the show.  It will likely be available on the Heads of State site at some point also, but those guys are always a little slow in updating their site.
I had emailed them a while ago, and they said they would be available after the show in a limited number.  Did not mention them being at the show, but they could be. [/b]
They said it was a run of 1000, which is pretty huge considering 250-300 is standard.  So they will definitely be selling them somewhere. The show would seem to make the most sense.  A poster of last night's NYC show is available both on the Wilco site and on the site of the designer www.thepatentpending.com

joz

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2004, 02:26:00 pm »
I caught the Sunday night show & have mixed feelings.

Most new songs were good - some were even great: "At least that's what you said" was Crazy Horsesque.

But I walked away unsatisfied knowing just how good the show could have been. Like the review above, both AM & Summer Teeth were ignored (1 song from ST - after 2 hours). I appreciate the artistic growth & experimental bent, but not at the expense of ignoring a significant portion of their most likable catalog. Watching them was like seeing the evil alt-country Radiohead twin. I even like RH, but one's enough thanks.

And it's not like this tour is an abberation. I've seen them 4 times & each was like an exercise in contempt for all the older material.

It makes you appreciate a band and tour like the recent Pixies shows even more - all the best songs, all the time.

It's called evolution...all bands, at least the good ones, do it.  Don't get me wrong; I enjoy the old albums as much as anyone however I don't listen to those albums, pining for the old days and thinking..."Why doesn't Wilco make 'likeable' music anymore?".  Why would any band, unless they're on their last-leg reunion or retirement tour, want to drag their fans down memory lane?  One last sing-along for the road...

Like Pablo Honey for Radiohead, A.M. isn't the strongest album.   I think YHF and the yet-to-be-released, A Ghost is Born are Wilco's best work to date.  I could cherry-pick 20 tracks off Wilco's first few albums (including the long-winded, albeit great, Being There) and be hard-pressed to get anything comparable to the genius of YHF and AGIB. (Side note...I'm listening to Hail to the Thief right now and it certainly gives the Bends/OK Computer some strong competition for best RH album).

...and, as for the Pixies, I saw them recently at Coachella and, though they fulfilled one of my concert fantasies, I'll be surprised if any new material they may (or may not) write/record will push new ground or, for that matter, even be musically relevant.  Wilco is NOW...and better than they ever were.  

Can't wait to hear the new album live tonight...hope everyone has a great time at the show.

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2004, 02:30:00 pm »
more like devolution (is that a word?) to those of us who like their first two albums the best.

It's easy for you to say they've "evolved" and that it's a good thing, because you prefer the new stuff.

Liz Phair has evolved too.

Originally posted by joz:

I caught the Sunday night show & have mixed feelings.

Most new songs were good - some were even great: "At least that's what you said" was Crazy Horsesque.

But I walked away unsatisfied knowing just how good the show could have been. Like the review above, both AM & Summer Teeth were ignored (1 song from ST - after 2 hours). I appreciate the artistic growth & experimental bent, but not at the expense of ignoring a significant portion of their most likable catalog. Watching them was like seeing the evil alt-country Radiohead twin. I even like RH, but one's enough thanks.

And it's not like this tour is an abberation. I've seen them 4 times & each was like an exercise in contempt for all the older material.

It makes you appreciate a band and tour like the recent Pixies shows even more - all the best songs, all the time.

It's called evolution...all bands, at least the good ones, do it.  Don't get me wrong; I enjoy the old albums as much as anyone however I don't listen to those albums, pining for the old days and thinking..."Why doesn't Wilco make 'likeable' music anymore?".  Why would any band, unless they're on their last-leg reunion or retirement tour, want to drag their fans down memory lane?  One last sing-along for the road...

Like Pablo Honey for Radiohead, A.M. isn't the strongest album.   I think YHF and the yet-to-be-released, A Ghost is Born are Wilco's best work to date.  I could cherry-pick 20 tracks off Wilco's first few albums (including the long-winded, albeit great, Being There) and be hard-pressed to get anything comparable to the genius of YHF and AGIB. (Side note...I'm listening to Hail to the Thief right now and it certainly gives the Bends/OK Computer some strong competition for best RH album).

...and, as for the Pixies, I saw them recently at Coachella and, though they fulfilled one of my concert fantasies, I'll be surprised if any new material they may (or may not) write/record will push new ground or, for that matter, even be musically relevant.  Wilco is NOW...and better than they ever were.  

Can't wait to hear the new album live tonight...hope everyone has a great time at the show. [/b]

nkotb

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2004, 02:38:00 pm »
Present.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2004, 02:42:00 pm »
   (Side note...I'm listening to Hail to the Thief right now and it certainly gives the Bends/OK Computer some strong competition for best RH album).
ya lost me with that one
o/\o

joz

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2004, 02:45:00 pm »
I'm not even talking about musical 'preferences', Rhett...In fact, my favorite Wilco songs are on Being There (I'll take Passenger Side from A.M. and She's a Jar/Via Chicago from ST as runner's up). HOWEVER, I don't think there's any question that, with YHF/AGIB, Wilco is pushing musical boundaries and making better, more cohesive albums than they were 5 or 6 years ago. I think that a year or two from now, Wilco fans will love the newer songs as much as the early stuff.  In hindsight, can anyone deny that Sgt. Pepper's was lightyears ahead of Meet the Beatles??  I'm sure there were those who, at the time, looked at Meet the Beatles the same as those of you who think AM is Wilco's magnum opus.

joz

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2004, 02:48:00 pm »
anyway, how could liz phair evolve?  she sucks now as much as she always did.

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2004, 02:48:00 pm »
Not to be difficult, but my preference has always been for early Beatles.

And I'll take a collection of Beach Boys singles over Pet Sounds as well.

I'm not even talking about musical 'preferences', Rhett...In fact, my favorite Wilco songs are on Being There (I'll take Passenger Side from A.M. and She's a Jar/Via Chicago from ST as runner's up). HOWEVER, I don't think there's any question that, with YHF/AGIB, Wilco is pushing musical boundaries and making better, more cohesive albums than they were 5 or 6 years ago. I think that a year or two from now, Wilco fans will love the newer songs as much as the early stuff.  In hindsight, can anyone deny that Sgt. Pepper's was lightyears ahead of Meet the Beatles??  I'm sure there were those who, at the time, looked at Meet the Beatles the same as those of you who think AM is Wilco's magnum opus.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2004, 02:54:00 pm »
  anyway, how could liz phair evolve?  she sucks now as much as she always did.
woah now, exile is pretty great. she evolved into not having stage fright
o/\o

ratioci nation

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2004, 02:56:00 pm »
I don't see Wilco as evolving, Tweedy certainly would like to, but I see them (to use a term you use) cherry picking from other styles they like and not making it their own in the least.  Wilco was good at writing songs, not being experimental, Tweedy just likes the idea of being experimental.  The show they did with Sonic Youth was embarassing, because seeing Wilco do songs like Kidsmoke with loud guitar bursts after seing a Sonic Youth set made Wilco look like amateurs.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2004, 02:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 And I'll take a collection of Beach Boys singles over Pet Sounds as well.

There it is.  Proof that you don't know jack.  ;)