Author Topic: Thievery Corporation Roll Call  (Read 7292 times)

lukiedookie89

Re: Thievery Corporation Roll Call
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2006, 07:59:00 am »
So how was the show last night?     ;)

lily1

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2006, 11:13:00 am »
probably the best night for federico auberle thus far. and i think i lean towards thursday's performance for thievery corporation. though last night was close, very close.

although they had more time last night, they did not add on any extra songs.

most excellent crowd. even the boy stayed up front the whole time to hang with the feverishly dancing crowd-and he hates crowds. it was very much a hug your neighbor crowd.

i have to pass on tonight, unfortunately. family events north of baltimore mean i won't get back in time for auberle and will probably miss half of thievery's set. so that means one of you needs to give me a full report.

lily1

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2006, 11:20:00 am »
I put this on "Hey Seth" but its probably better served here:

A electronic thank you note for Seth:

Seth, thanks for booking 4 nights of Thievery Corporation. Hope its been as fun for you as it's been for us. I ache all over for all the dancing I've done for the last 3 nights!

Can I make a request-would it be possible for them to always do an end of year show? I'm guessing 4 nights in a row next year might not be possible, but at least 1 or 2 shows. Start making it an annual event of sorts!

Thanks again!

Your loyal bulletin board reader and 930 club attendee,

Lily

chokeychicken

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2006, 11:33:00 am »
i agree.  i attended friday night and it was some of the most fun i've had all year at a show.  if they can sell it out year after year, why not bring the band back for 3 or 4 nights every year?  what a tradition.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2006, 09:51:00 am »
sooooo, how was the last show?  any special guests?

also - could someone please remind me of the name of the brazilian-flavored TC song that Karina sings, with the sing-along line "la dee la laaaaa" that she always gets the crowd to join in on.  thanks   :)
<sig>

lukiedookie89

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »
Sweetcell, I THINK that song is called Exilo.  But I could be wrong.

Anyway, the show last night was great.  Definitely on my top 5 of the year list.  Two encores- the first was a birthday celebration for Rob, and the second featured a naked bass player.  
 Awesome show.  I will post the setlist later.

Sir HC

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2006, 01:02:00 pm »
Set list:

Outernationalist
 Le Monde
 Omid
 Facing East
 Lebanee Blonde
 Shadows
 So Com Voce
 Sol Tapado
 Rev. Solution/Frank original version(thurs only?)
 Liberation
 Originality
 Exilio
 Heart
 Focus
 Truth
 Assault
 Warning Shots
 --------
 Time
 Richest
 Coming
 --------
 Marching the Hates

(from the set list so the names may be cryptic)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2006, 01:52:00 pm »
Ugh, it was an OK show. I'm not sure how people get very excited about this "band"? I hope not the music...'cause their music lacks imagination and personality.  Downtempo/chill out music doesn't have to be this dull...

/rant
(_|_)

d.c.1

« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2006, 03:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Joe M.:
  Ugh, it was an OK show. I'm not sure how people get very excited about this "band"? I hope not the music...'cause their music lacks imagination and personality.  Downtempo/chill out music doesn't have to be this dull...

/rant
lol, the only person who sounds dull here is you my friend.  were you even AT the show(s)?  i saw about 1,200 people going absolutely apeshit for the band (btw, how are they not a band?).  i guess they're all wrong.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2006, 03:17:00 pm »
Yes, I was at the Saturday show. I actually thought the crowd was very tame after the main set. Definitely not in the apeshit state you were talking about...maybe the other nights were?

Even my favorite bands have disappointed me live...lots of them in fact...

So what excites you about TC? That was my question.

Originally posted by d.c.1:
  lol, the only person who sounds dull here is you my friend.  were you even AT the show(s)?  i saw about 1,200 people going absolutely apeshit for the band (btw, how are they not a band?).  i guess they're all wrong.
(_|_)

d.c.1

« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2006, 04:47:00 am »
Originally posted by Joe M.:
  Yes, I was at the Saturday show. I actually thought the crowd was very tame after the main set. Definitely not in the apeshit state you were talking about...maybe the other nights were?

Even my favorite bands have disappointed me live...lots of them in fact...

So what excites you about TC? That was my question.

Originally posted by d.c.1:
[/b]
well, i'm not going to try to convince you that the show rocked, 'cause it seems like you're hating on a lot of live shows anyway.  

you say this band is "dull" and "uninteresting"?  name another "downtempo/chillout" artist that is less dull and more interesting than thievery corporation?  zero 7?  nice but disposable.  kruder and dorfmeister?  nice but way boring, and haven't done shit in almost 10 years as a duo. air?  nice but running out of ideas and overrated.  gotan project?  cool, but one-trick-pony.  i mean who else is really doing anything innovative in "downtempo" music anymore besides thievery?

here are just a few things i find exciting about thievery corporation:  

1:  the band is constantly working and constantly evolving.  four critically acclaimed albums.  each album better and more expansive than the one before.  two great remix albums.  two classic dj albums.  endless classic singles.  all in a 10 year span and the band's fan base and profile still grows year by year.    

2.  thievery touch on so many music styles, and their sound is infinite, whereas other "downtempo" groups are stuck in the same clichéd rut.  who else mixes brazilian, jamaican, middle-eastern, indian, hip-hop, rock etc.?  what other "downtempo" band is respected by so many music luminaries?  people like david byrne, perry farrel, bebel gilberto, flaming lips, calexico seem proud to work with and call thievery "peers."  

3:  the band own a record label, esl music who release a ton of excellent downtempo music from around the world.  10 years strong and esl music is probably the best and most prolific downtempo/lounge label ever.

4:  their live shows are among the best in live music today.  name just one other "downtempo/chillout" group that brings nearly a dozen support members on tour and can play for almost 3 hours at such a high energy level?  what other group, from any genre, can sell out four nights at the 930 club nearly a month prior to the actual performance dates?

5:  band leaders eric hilton and rob garza are constantly involved in socially conscious endeavors and projects.  what other "downtempo/chillout" group have the political savvy and influence of thievery corporation?  what other "downtempo/chillout" group have organized a massive anti-war protest concert on the national mall?  who else are official UN spokespersons, doing tv ads for food aid, and even traveling to famished african territories as goodwill ambassadors with UN personnel?  

dude, you're selling the band short and frankly it just sounds like you're a hater.  why did you even go to the show anyway?

:roll:

Vas Deferens

« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »
I'm not a hater     :)     I guess should have just kept the comments/questions to myself. I am actually a casual listener of TC. They are capable of delivering an almost perfect album (Sounds from the Thievery Hi-Fi). I guess I was expecting a different experience...what I got in the show was a number of mediocre vocalists, dancehall reggae acts, and a belly dancer which made me feel like I was at a Mutaytor show (not a good thing). I am also not convinced that the two guys from TC did anything live. I don't doubt their popularity, but I sometimes ask myself why other shows by other fun bands (such as Los Amigos Invisibles) are not well attended, and they're much more fun and danceable.

But yeah...I never should have called them dull or uninteresting (well mebbe the last couple albums?)  haha.

Air were actually pretty good last time I saw them...they disappointed me with 10,000 Hz (still hate it to this day).

I went to about 80 shows this year and I was pleased with 95% of them, so this was a real bummer (though I actually liked the entire encore...and that's enough to make me not want my money back)      ;)
(_|_)

lysa22

« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2006, 09:54:00 pm »
anyone know the name of the band that opened for them on sat?

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2006, 10:26:00 pm »
Federico Aubele

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2006, 08:27:00 am »
it's a good thing i kept my trap shut about what i thought about rob garza's psychedelic rock side project Dust Galaxy.  because based on whats up on the groups myspace     :roll:
T.Rex