Author Topic: The Stooges Roll Call  (Read 18919 times)

smittyhines

Re: The Stooges Roll Call
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2007, 04:08:00 am »
Great fucking show!!!

nkotb

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2007, 07:58:00 am »
That fucking ruled! Moe discussion once my hearing returns and I finally wake up.

Out of my mind on Saturday night! 1970 rollin' in sight!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2007, 08:01:00 am »
Yes....everyone who sees Iggy live sees the light.  The man brings it.  And he turns 60 this month.  Truly freak of nature.

Thanks Seth for making this happen.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2007, 08:50:00 am »
Yes, thanks to Seth for having them in the smallest venue of the tour by far.  And thanks to the Stooges for saving the new material for the tail end of the set (which to my surprise came off surprisingly well and didn't affect the intensity of the set at all).

terry

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2007, 08:52:00 am »
AAAHHH!!! Yes!

I'm so glad he could play the 9:30 Club--thanks Seth and crew!!!!

Here's the thing

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2007, 08:55:00 am »
That was insane, wasn't it? I love seeing the crowd so into a show, and it was incredible to watch the wave of humanity from upstairs.
 How about Watt? He is the perfect "hired gun" for the Stooges.
 "Wow" sums it up! I wonder if the ringing in my ears will stop before work on Monday.

sonickteam2

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2007, 09:09:00 am »
i guess there were no anti-bush rants last night?

Iggy, Stooges have a soft spot for the GOP, lobbyists

So this is how punks grow old: They stay in chic, modern hotels, hang out with banking lobbyists and reveal their Republican allegiances.

Punk legends Iggy & the Stooges, who played the 9:30 Club Thursday night, have been hanging their tattered hats this week at the newly spiffed up Park Hyatt in the West End.

Wednesday night, the Stooges, including original members Ron and Scott Ashton, were sitting down to dinner on the outside patio at the hotel??s Blue Duck Tavern, when out came Iggy Pop himself.

He was ??gimping through the lobby? wearing only one Birkenstock sandal with the other foot bare, said Erick Gustafson, a lobbyist with the Mortgage Bankers of America, who was himself having dinner at the time and just so happens to be a huge fan.

??He looks and walks exactly like you??d expect him to look and walk,? Gustafson said.

Iggy hung out for about 40 minutes before going back upstairs to do whatever it is that he does, but the Ashton brothers stayed out long after dinner, whereupon Gustafson and Dan Berger of the National Association of Federal Credit Unions joined them for drinks.

As the temperature dropped, the party moved inside, and the punks and policy wonks continued to enjoy wine and spirits into the wee hours.

Among the biggest surprises from the rockers? They love jazz great John Coltrane, and they??re both Republicans.

??Ron was pretty knowledgeable about lawmakers and policy,? Gustafson said.

Not very rock ??n?? roll of them. At least they could have heaved a TV out the window for old times?? sake.

Mobius

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2007, 09:40:00 am »
Man, that just fucking killed.

And one thing in response to that article - of course they're fans of Coltrane.  Steve Mackey's playing on Funhouse is completely Coltrane-esque.  Plus the music in general - they create massive grooves - basically lighting bonfires - and Iggy kind of soloes over it.

ggw

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2007, 09:51:00 am »
Yeah....great show by the Stooges.  I'm very happy to have seen it at the 9:30. Although, my back is none too happy with me for getting front and center.

No love for Sistas In The Pit....??  The bass player (is she Bootsy's niece/daughter/cousin?) may have been the most excited person in the club last night.

brennser

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2007, 09:56:00 am »
that was pretty wild - worth catching an early flight back from St Louis for! I can't believe Iggy is 60...puts a lot of younger artists to shame

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2007, 10:02:00 am »
I was diggin' the Sistas and picked up the disc... Talented bunch but in need of a little focus and improvements in the songwriting dept.  

Now the other band that night was a waste of space... Someone needs to tell them that Halloween has come and gone.  It was like watching a horrid New Yorks Dolls tribute band attempting to do their own originals.  The fact tbey didn't realize their alloted time slot was up smacked of unprofessionalism
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2007, 10:05:00 am »
random iggy factoid... my uncle went to high school with James Osterburg, needless to say they took divergent career paths   ;)
T.Rex

nkotb

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2007, 10:06:00 am »
I can't believe I didn't see you!  I was up there the entire time as well.  

Originally posted by ggw?:
 Although, my back is none too happy with me for getting front and center.

ggw

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2007, 10:11:00 am »
I loved the older, gray-haired, British guy in the sportcoat.  He was everywhere; apparently engaged as the "fixer."

Cymbals need tightening?  Check.
 Sound levels on the monitors?  Check.
 Extra water?  Check.
 Personal bodyguard?  Check.
 New mic stand?  Check.
 The Sistas need More towels?  Check.
 Someone needs to stick a hand down Iggy's pants to keep him from falling?   Check

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2007, 10:17:00 am »
npr stream  surprised the setlist isn't included maybe an update is on it's way.

and isn't the british guy the one that wrote that infamous stream of conscious  tour rider
T.Rex