Author Topic: Perhaps Smackie can kiss it and make it better  (Read 3405 times)

Venerable Bede

Perhaps Smackie can kiss it and make it better
« on: June 10, 2004, 10:36:00 am »
Spears Injures Knee During Video Shoot

1 hour, 36 minutes ago  

NEW YORK - Pop princess Britney Spears (news) injured her knee during a video shoot and was hospitalized for arthroscopic surgery, her record label said Wednesday.

Spears, 22, was taken to a hospital after hurting herself late Tuesday, Jive Records said in a statement. An MRI showed floating cartilage in her knee.

The injury occurred after Spears completed outdoor scenes for the video of her new single, "Outrageous," with rapper Snoop Dogg in the New York City borough of Queens. Spears was doing choreography when her knee gave out, Jive said.

"Outrageous" will be featured in the movie "Catwoman," due out next month.

Spears is scheduled to begin a North American tour June 22 in Hartford, Conn., according to her Web site. Her latest album, "In the Zone," was released in November.

Spears was forced to cancel two shows in March because of a knee injury.
OU812

Dandy01

Re: Perhaps Smackie can kiss it and make it better
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 11:23:00 am »
I found myself wondering why this was "news," when seeing it on my firm's home page.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
Originally posted by Dandy01:
  I found myself wondering why this was "news," when seeing it on my firm's home page.
>>> I find it "newsworthy" considering Ms. Spears spends a considerable amount of time on her knees during her "down" time,hence the concern about her condition after the previously mentioned surgical procedure...

Random Citizen

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 11:32:00 am »
Will this be included on the next edition of Snoop's "Girls Gone Wild" video?

Dandy01

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 11:44:00 am »
Originally posted by The O' Rotten Factor:
  >>> I find it "newsworthy" considering Ms. Spears spends a considerable amount of time on her knees during her "down" time,hence the concern about her condition after the previously mentioned surgical procedure...
bla bla..
 just kidding.

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 01:56:00 pm »
I thought for sure this was about Raul Mondesi.

Brit, in trouble?  I'm donning the Superman Cape right now and will be there in an instant.  Poor thing.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 01:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I thought for sure this was about Raul Mondesi.

ask, and ye shall recieve (btw, you read neyer's article on espn.com today?):

06/09/2004 11:31 PM ET
 Mondesi could be lost for season
 Outfielder has torn right quadriceps
 By Doug Miller / MLB.com  

ANAHEIM -- It didn't take outfielder Raul Mondesi long to join the ranks of the Angels' infirm.
 In his eighth game as an Angel since signing with the club May 29, Mondesi tore his right quadriceps (thigh) muscle while running to first base in Tuesday night's loss to Milwaukee and could be out for the year.

The Angels immediately placed Mondesi on the 15-day disabled list and said he will be out "indefinitely."

The recovery time for this type of injury can vary but is usually measured in months, so it's possible that Mondesi, a free agent at the end of the season, has played his last game as an Angel.

Angels manager Mike Scioscia said he felt Mondesi could be back before the end of the season.

"He plays hard and can play through a lot of pain and a lot of nicks," Scioscia said. "But this one is going to take some time."

Mondesi, who was hitting .118 in 34 at-bats over eight games, left the Angels clubhouse while his teammates stretched on the field before Wednesday's game.

He was sent for an MRI and was re-examined by team physician Craig Milhouse on Wednesday evening. Milhouse confirmed the tear.

Mondesi will likely be replaced on the roster by center fielder Garret Anderson, who played in his third rehab game for Single-A Rancho Cucamonga on Wednesday night and went 2-for-3 with a walk.

Anderson was deemed by Scioscia to be "further along than we ever thought he'd be" in his recovery from arthritis that has kept him out of action since April 22 and will probably join the Angels on Thursday.

Mondesi joins Anderson, Darin Erstad, Troy Glaus, Brendan Donnelly, Tim Salmon and Troy Percival as Angels who have spent time on the DL this year.

The injury continues a strange year for Mondesi, an 11-year big-league veteran.

Mondesi started the season with the Pittsburgh Pirates and played until late April, when he said he would sit out the rest of the season to fight a lawsuit filed against him by Mario Guerrero, a former player who alleged that he deserved about $650,000 -- one percent of his earnings -- for teaching Mondesi how to play baseball while growing up in San Cristobal, D.R.

Mondesi did not travel to Denver for a series against the Colorado Rockies, so the Pirates placed him on the restricted list. Then he didn't show up for a series opener against the Padres and was waived.

The Angels signed him May 29 for a remainder-of-the-season deal that paid him $1.75 million.

Doug Miller is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  (btw, you read neyer's article on espn.com today?)
I was going to wear my Anaheim jersey to the game on Saturday, but even I'm afraid I may get hurt if I put it on.

Beat a pitcher with a winning record and I will start to be worried.  What, Cincy's pitching wasn't as good as we suspected?  I'm shocked, really I am.  Lidle is the ace?  Wilson has 7 wins?  And which Acevedo is that anyway?  

With 5 of the 8 opening day position starters out of the line-up for much of the season, I'm very happy to be only one game back.  It won't finish that way and you know it.  Make a deal for Beltran however, and I will just about shit myself.  

Oh, and you still need a closer.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 02:28:00 pm »

you saw the future closer start last night.  a's just need to pull the trigger on bringing blanton up and moving harden to the closer.

i heard that beane is willing to shop redman around, maybe the royals could use a few good pitchers?
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 02:31:00 pm »
  you saw the future closer start last night.  a's just need to pull the trigger on bringing blanton up and moving harden to the closer.

i heard that beane is willing to shop redman around, maybe the royals could use a few good pitchers?
If you deal Redman, Harden has to start despite giving Blanton the call he deserves.  And again, you will need a closer.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 02:44:00 pm »
  Spears Injures Knee During Video Shoot

I forwarded the story to Smackette (essentially asking for permission to fly to NY to kiss it and make it feel better, be at her bed side, you know...).  Her reply:

"Was she wearing an Angels Jersey?"
27>34

Guiny

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 02:54:00 pm »

i heard that beane is willing to shop redman around, maybe the royals could use a few good pitchers? [/b]
Harden at closer????? Did I miss something here? I thought he was the future American league ace!!!!!!!!!

Venerable Bede

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 02:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  Harden at closer????? Did I miss something here? I thought he was the future American league ace!!!!!!!!!
i don't think the a's are as pleased with his progress as they thought. . they are pretty much focusing on joe blanton now as their ace of the future with harden as their closer of the future.  although, if they dump zito next year, it could be all up in the air.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 03:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
Harden struggled early, not being able to throw over 75 pitches or so.  As soon as he reached 75, he got lit up.  But lately, he's gone much deeper into games so I don't think the rumors are as strong as they were a few weeks ago.  He's also only 22 or 23.
27>34

flawd101

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 03:08:00 pm »
i bet snoop dogg beat her....

who from the angels will go down next???
 whenever there is a "player of the future" they end up sucking...