Author Topic: iphone  (Read 377949 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: iphone
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2009, 11:21:29 am »
Some new iPhone music apps of interest...

iMeem has an app out that has similar artist playlist functionality as last.fm and pandora.... the feature that being touted is  that you can upload music to it's site and then stream it your phone anywhere.  however  i wouldn't personally put a great deal of effort into uploading music to the site, as money and licensing woes abound for this site.  plus, when transferring my uploads that were on anywhere.fm to iMeem all them have disappeared.  it would appear that unless a track already exists in their database it wont upload.   hopefully 8tracks.com will have an iPhone app some day, I like that site mucho more than iMeem.

Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe app allows one to great mini remixes using several song loop snippets.  Had some fun creating glitchy remixes...

Junior Boys - Has full length songs and videos for stream, news, tour dates... all in all a pretty slick app

Kitsune Maison - an electro music label out of Paris has a new app out with streaming 30 sec samples from their future and current releases.

Haven't spent much time with the Rentals app which chronicles their year long project "Songs About Time"

T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2009, 03:04:03 pm »
Lineup fanboys....it's available next week.

iPhone 3gS

$199 16GB of storage, and $299 for a 32GB version

And with video (finally)
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2009, 04:31:50 pm »
and apparently with picture messages finally. jeez.

vansmack

« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2009, 04:42:57 pm »

Actually, that will vary per carrier and at&t has not yet signed on.  But yes, the next phone will have Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) capabilities.
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2009, 06:28:23 pm »

Actually, that will vary per carrier and at&t has not yet signed on.  But yes, the next phone will have Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) capabilities.

"Official" iPhone OS 3.0 Software Update features

From the footnotes:
2. MMS support from AT&T coming in late summer. MMS is not supported on first-generation iPhone. Sending video via MMS is not supported on iPhone 3G.
😐 🎶

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2009, 06:33:32 pm »

I imagine ATT will sign on for this, but doubt they will allow blue tooth tethering which would be a huge deal for me.  Does anyone know if the bluetooth tethering is a feature of the new OS or the new hardware?

Either way I won't be getting a new one until I drop the current one in the toilet or it meets some other untimely end.

EDIT - Beats beat me to the MMS issue by a second or two...

vansmack

« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2009, 06:43:19 pm »
From the footnotes:
2. MMS support from AT&T coming in late summer. MMS is not supported on first-generation iPhone. Sending video via MMS is not supported on iPhone 3G.

That's an interesting way of putting it.  Does that mean that the iPhone 3g will be capable of recording video (obviously not sending it via MMS, but that seems to imply that they will at least stop halting the jail breaks)?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2009, 06:49:28 pm »
I imagine ATT will sign on for this, but doubt they will allow blue tooth tethering which would be a huge deal for me.  Does anyone know if the bluetooth tethering is a feature of the new OS or the new hardware?

Bluetooth tethering is in iPhone 3.0 software, so it should work with iPhone 3g.

Again, at&t has said that they wil support tethering, just haven't announced when or if there will be a charge.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2009, 06:52:03 pm »

Bluetooth tethering is in iPhone 3.0 software, so it should work with iPhone 3g.

Again, at&t has said that they wil support tethering, just haven't announced when or if there will be a charge.
That will compliment my new netbook nicely (unless there is an outrageous fee for it). 

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2009, 07:06:53 pm »
From the footnotes:

That's an interesting way of putting it.  Does that mean that the iPhone 3g will be capable of recording video (obviously not sending it via MMS, but that seems to imply that they will at least stop halting the jail breaks)?

I think only the new phone can record video.
😐 🎶

Got Haggis?

« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2009, 08:21:07 pm »
people who bought an iphone 3g on launch day won't be eligible for upgrade pricing for the 3GS until 2010.

vansmack

« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2009, 05:50:50 pm »
Wow.

Why at&t won't be supporting teathering and SMS/MMS, at least initially

It?s because ?AT&T has to manually remove all the ?Opt Out MMS codes? on each account.?

BGR also notes that tethering is also on hold for AT&T?s U.S. customers because it?s in the process of putting together a $70 per month unlimited data and tethering plan. SMS and MMS will not be included in that plan, sadly.

Man, I  hope there's a lot of speculation involved there, but it's been reported by a few different sources...

27>34

vansmack

« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2009, 06:12:01 pm »
people who bought an iphone 3g on launch day won't be eligible for upgrade pricing for the 3GS until 2010.

More specifically, it's 18 months from when you last purchased a phone from at&t.  Since the iPhone 3G came out in June 08, the earliest adopters could technically get them at $199/$299 in December 2009 (right before Christmas), but the majority will have to wait until 2010.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2009, 12:51:02 pm »
As you're all eagerly awaiting your iPhone 3.0 updates, there were a couple of other important things from Apple today:

Sirius XM iPhone App coming this week

"those who subscribe to the gratis Basic Online Service will have to upgrade to the $2.99 monthly premium plan to have it on the go"

And....

Apple says iTunes syncing only for Apple Devices, looks Sternly at Palm

Could you imagine the fan boy rage if that were an MS policy?  What's the point really, other than to stifle innovation?
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2009, 10:28:10 pm »
How to Turn on Tethering in iPhone 3.0 http://tinyurl.com/ktxnhh   per Wired/Gadget Lab
T.Rex